Any correlation between the number of posts a trader makes and his profitability?

Black Swan - when I am trading, I turn off MSN, SKYPE, YM & only have Briefing.com on internet explorer plus my missus is not allowed to touch me below the waist and can only talk to me to ask "Tea or Coffee ?"

Presumably you are referring to intra-day traders as EOD trading is not investing and yet only requires adjustment of positions once a day ?

Paul

Sure - for long term investing it's good to bounce ideas off people, even on the intwerweb. For me, all of my long term holdings are there because of research and are either plays on the overall market, a specific industry, a specific region of the world, a specific commodity or to diversify current holdings. None of them were entered because of technicals. The attention required to do this research is not so focused and in fact, it is better to let things settle in and 'sleeping on it' before making a move. It may take a few weeks to make a trading decision.

For instance, if you had the idea of investing in Eastern Europe right now, it would take some time to figure out if it was a good idea and then how to play it. I don't think many people on here are much interested in this aspect of investing.

For trading, TA plays a greater role for me and a greater 'in the moment' focus plus the ability to make a decision quickly and go with it. It's very different and requires an environment in which there are few distractions.

Or am I along in attempting to have one last pee at 9:28 EST ?

writing posts can be just displacement activity.
sometimes when I take a trade that follow my rules, but "feels" weird, I take the trade, but then post a lot just to take my mind off the trade, until it gets into profit.

its better, ideal, to be away from the screen anyway, as unless you are super-confident, someone elses analysis may undermine your viewpoint.

my own posting tally is a testament that correlation between number of posts and profitability and/or quality is spurious at best.

have a great week. (y)

Just some food for thought.

I would think that there is some correlation but not much.

Afterall, a very good trader can join a forum and in the beginning he will have very few posts and, conversely, a trader can be a post junkie without being profitable.

From my limited time on forums, it SEEMS like traders with alot of posts have a better knowledge of trading but that doesn't mean that they are more profitable than traders with fewer posts.

Any opinions on whether such a correlation exists?

An interesting topic but I think you would have to narrow the scope to stand any chance of a meaningful result. You would then have to know individual profitability - so from that point of view it's a non-starter. (unless we can have some kind of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours").

My profitabilty (and how do you define that anyway?) hasn't changed dramatically since I started here, so going from 0 to 1000 posts is pretty inconclusive (apart from people thinking its mostly cr*p :LOL:) for establishing a correlation.

Perhaps it's also interesting to know why people say they post (which may not be the real underlying psycho reason of course). I usually post (1) if I think I've found something that may be of interest to other people. (2) I have an opinion on a matter raised (3) Have a thought or reaction which is probably of no interest to the rest of the world but I'm gonna tell them anyway.

What any of that can tell you about my trading I don't know and I don't suppose you would want to or care anyway, if you are in your right mind. :)