Ants?

hamilion

I am new to trading and I would like you opinion on my pick. I am considering buying ANTS, because they were selected as "Best Product of the Year" by CRN for deloping the first lock free algorithm that makes it 15 times faster than traditional databases. IMO this puts it as a sure thing candidate for a buyout by either Oracle, Sybase or Microsoft.

Well, there's something in their favour...the're deaf as well, so that's a bonus.

Ants

15x faster? How? And, what is traditional databases? What's the market for a new player in the RDBMS marketplace?

In this industry, we've had companies come along and claim 10-15 times speed increases. One example was Times Ten - which was bought by Oracle.

Who is ANTS? Their benefits page on their web site says: "We have several customers who have seen performance increases ranging from 5 to 15 times faster (also on the existing hardware)." Sure - could be. But why? Show us what was done to accomplish this. How different is that than just tuning an existing query, adding a new index, finding bad code that developers really didn't see happening - and fixing it? Is it different than when I find a 4-hour query and tune it to run in 1 minute because the developer on a traditional RDBMS engine was poorly experienced?

If ANTS wants to compete in the RDBMS market, get out there and sit head to head against the main players and run TPC benchmarks, do customer benchmarks and publish the specific results such that customers can see the details behind the claims.

No locking? Is this similar to Via a bunch of years ago that relied entirely on row versioning? Oracle has row versioning and pretty good performance to boot