Another Day, Another Strategy

FetteredChinos

Veteren member
Evenin' all!

following on from yesterdays attempts, ive been tinkering with yet another strategy that im going to throw to you hungry hoards.

its almost as simple as my Illumination method, and this time trades on daily data, with a far, far shorter hold period, less drawdown, and looks frankly, da bomb.

i havent coded any stops, or stop-and-reverses in this one, so results can doubtless be improved.

here are the results of the Arctic Jury......

since Jan 2002

Total Points 19085
Trades 288
Wins 168
Win % 58.3%
Max Drawdown 1534
Average Win 191.45
Average Loss -108.99
Max Win 616
Max Loss - 366
Profit Factor 2.46
Profit per Trade 66.26

as always, spreadsheet to follow in due course..

FC

and the rules....

ah yes, the rules...

basically, again we score each day according to criteria.

if we close above the Balance point +1
if we close below the balance point -1
if we close above the prev high +1
if we close below the prev low -1
if we close inside the prev days range, then score 0

then....

take a sum of todays score, and yesterdays score. lets call this X

then do a running total of the last 3 X's. if this is positive we have a bullish bias. if negative, then a bearish bias.

then we put in our orders on a daily basis. if we are bullish, we put an order to buy at todays close -150 points. if we are bearish, we put an order in to sell at todays close +150 points.

these orders stay live for 10 days. if not triggered, then cancel them on the 10th day.

close positions that were opened on the 10th day.

simple really.

i may get round to coding some stops into this lil fella in due course.

looks alright in principle. :)

FC

Personally I think you're entitled to round to the nearest .01 points, rather than rounding down. If you were a professional system-marketer (which maybe you ought to be!) you'd be claiming 66.27 points profit per trade on the basis of those figures. :)

had a bit of a fiddle with the order limits.

changing it to say 300 pts gives these results..

Total Points 15714
Trades 115
Wins 80
Win % 69.6%
Max Drawdown 918
Average Win 228.44
Average Loss -73.17
Max Win 766
Max Loss -216
Profit Factor 7.14
Profit per Trade 136.6434783

not the world's greatest sample size, but hey. who cares... :)

FC

Hello Seymour

I see you are at it again, the strategies, not the other....though you may be at that as well.

When are you going to learn that this mechanical strategy lark is not going to make you the fortume that you are seeking.

Surely its time you put away these juvenile toys and concentrated on something more sustatial eg supply/demand. You know it makes sense.

Your end of year report will be prepared shortly and you do not want it to read "shows promise but his continual seeking of the main chance detracts from his progress".

Time you turned over a new leaf........but not to another mechanical.

Please do not take the above as a criticism, even though it is.

Regards

bracke

bracke said:
Please do not take the above as a criticism, even though it is.
Lol! This is astonishing stuff, FC!

FC said:
Profit per Trade 136.6434783
Mind you, if you can't be bothered to quote accurate profit-figures ...

Last edited:
Your end of year report will be prepared shortly and you do not want it to read "shows promise but his continual seeking of the main chance detracts from his progress".

lol Bracke ..u ole party pooper u! Get back to ur gaps ;)

FC: You are turning into a veritable conveyor belt of trading possibilities! Keep up the good work!

Dear Headmaster,

I wish to take issue with your prelimary end of term report. I had applied myself consistently and with determination all semester, and find your comments somewhat discouraging.

I have met all my assignment deadlines this term, whilst still finding time for "a bit of the other" and twanging Victoria's bra straps. (I think she quite likes it really)

Furthermore, I am adhering to supply and demand. My public demands more, and I am consequently supplying it.

forever yours,

Seymour

:)

alliance said:
lol Bracke ..u ole party pooper u! Get back to ur gaps ;)

FC: You are turning into a veritable conveyor belt of trading possibilities! Keep up the good work!

Nice to read from you again.

Have taken advice issued on the underground 'mind the gap'.

I am well into reading the dbphoenix files and finding them very useful. Might even start trading again when I think I know what I am doing.

I hope your course is progressing well, I look forward to discussing the analysis of charts with you.

Regards

bracke

Roberto said:
Lol! This is astonishing stuff, FC!

Mind you, if you can't be bothered to quote accurate profit-figures ...

7 decimal places is usually precise enough for me.....

aint life great since we went decimal...

a farthing for your thoughts...

forgot to mention.

with my data. the day runs from 9pm-9pm. daily close is 9pm UK time..

and no smart-alec comments chaps about TimeLords etc please ;)

FetteredChinos said:
a farthing for your thoughts
Am looking, and thinking, including at the other major currency pairs, and will say more probably very late tonight. Thank you for providing unexpected work on a busy Friday. :)

FetteredChinos said:
forgot to mention. with my data the day runs from 9pm-9pm. daily close is 9pm UK time.
Ah - interesting: glad you mentioned that! I instinctively like the sound of that (will explain why later). I'm interested in looking at other currencies too, almost certainly with different "starting times" and order magnitudes.

FetteredChinos said:
Dear Headmaster,

I wish to take issue with your prelimary end of term report. I had applied myself consistently and with determination all semester, and find your comments somewhat discouraging.

I have met all my assignment deadlines this term, whilst still finding time for "a bit of the other" and twanging Victoria's bra straps. (I think she quite likes it really)

Furthermore, I am adhering to supply and demand. My public demands more, and I am consequently supplying it.

forever yours,

Seymour

Seymour Minor

Unfortunately your determination and consistency are poorly targeted, the end of term report will suggest that you need to aim more carefully

I will skate over "other "and "twanging" as they may lead us off the straight and narrow ( even though you may like to go there )

I would remind you that the public often demands what is not good for it and your pandering to their whims is detrimental to their ultimate wellbeing.

Your impudent post is only exceeded by your lack of spelling ability, please write out 'preliminary' 1000 times. Typing is unacceptable ( I know about copy and paste ).

Yours....but not forever

Headmaster

Roberto said:
Am looking, and thinking, including at the other major currency pairs, and will say more probably very late tonight. Thank you for providing unexpected work on a busy Friday. :)

not a problem.

things are a bit quiet at my end. struggling to motivate myself here.

also, coming to terms with the realisation that the little toe-rags that broke into my car last week caused enough damage to make it beyond economical repair.

gimps also stole my golf clubs, which annoyed me greatly. and my 1980's knitting book. (long story - was going to be a comedy xmas present to a mate)

cant for one second imagine the price of left-handed golf clubs would fetch down the pub one evening.

maybe even a whole £10.

:rolleyes:

bracke said:
Unfortunately your determination and consistency are poorly targeted, the end of term report will suggest that you need to aim more carefully

I will skate over "other "and "twanging" as they may lead us off the straight and narrow ( even though you may like to go there )

I would remind you that the public often demands what is not good for it and your pandering to their whims is detrimental to their ultimate wellbeing.

Your impudent post is only exceeded by your lack of spelling ability, please write out 'preliminary' 1000 times. Typing is unacceptable ( I know about copy and paste ).

Yours....but not forever

Headmaster

Dear Headmaster,

Many thanks for your constructive reply. Sadly I see that this is a case of "do as teacher says, not as teacher does".

I refer the good members of the jury to exhibit A

bracke said:
concentrated on something more sustatial eg supply/demand. You know it makes sense.

I shall be contacting the school governors on this matter forthwith.

Still yours (despite what you say)

FC

bracke said:
Surely its time you put away these juvenile toys and concentrated on something more sustatial eg supply/demand. You know it makes sense.
Bracke, please excuse my butting into what was perhaps intended as a fairly private comment, but in a way this is substantial, and in a way it does relate to supply and demand, I think! It's a sort of weighted indicator of current market sentiment, anyway: that relates to supply and demand, doesn't it? :)

Bob,

i think Mr Bracke was just pulling my plonker.

we were sparring partners over on the FTSE thread a while back.

good job Uncle Barjon was on there to moderate things :)

FetteredChinos said:
i think Mr Bracke was just pulling my plonker. we were sparring partners over on the FTSE thread a while back.
I thought it sounded something like that ... just call me a defence lawyer (retired ...).