All things FTSE

Hi all,

My recap for the day, short and sweet as I have been out of the office for most of the day

Short FTSE + 17
Long FTSE - 10
Short FTSE +5.5
Short Antofagasta +2.3

Todays net result: +14.8

Seeya all tomorrow :cool:

Total of +15 pips.

See you all later

Since we are posting our FTSE performance today, here is mine:

FTSE 100 (Jun) -Daily Future Open 08/05/2007 12:04 Sell 6574
Closed 08/05/2007 12:11 Buy 6569
Open 08/05/2007 12:50 Sell 6570
Closed 08/05/2007 13:27 Buy 6565
Open 08/05/2007 13:28 Buy 6565
Closed 08/05/2007 13:47 Sell 6570

Futures?

This will sound so stupid asking this but there you go..............

IS the JUNE FTSE100 FUTURE the same no matter what spread betting company you go with, I mean they cannot play with the price at all like the daily cash?

I have been trying to spreadbet the FTSE100 daily cash for 8 months.
Lost nearly 70% of capital but enjoying every minute of it (Well not the losing...) and hopefuly will work out for me in the long run. Only trading small. But just wondering if going to the futures might be better.
It gets to a point that when I put on a trade (LONG) with my 15 point stop it instantly turns against me.....stops me out then goes into orbit (LONG). But I never get back into the trade, and it gets to the point when I am scared into clicking the mouse, then when it starts gettting into midday I trade when I should not. Through boredom.
Just read all through this thread and gives a good insight into what other people are doing.
I use GFTUK with £1 or £2 per point
5,15, minute & 1hour charts, Daily and weekly. CCI,RSI,MACD,EMA. Also use pivot points.

Good thread

Karl Ashworth

Last edited:
This will sound so stupid asking this but there you go..............

IS the JUNE FTSE100 FUTURE the same no matter what spread betting company you go with, I mean they cannot play with the price at all like the daily cash?

I have been trying to spreadbet the FTSE100 daily cash for 8 months.
Lost nearly 70% of capital but enjoying every minute of it (Well not the losing...) and hopefuly will work out for me in the long run. Only trading small. But just wondering if going to the futures might be better.
It gets to a point that when I put on a trade (LONG) with my 15 point stop it instantly turns against me.....stops me out then goes into orbit (LONG). But I never get back into the trade, and it gets to the point when I am scared into clicking the mouse, then when it starts gettting into midday I trade when I should not. Through boredom.
Just read all through this thread and gives a good insight into what other people are doing.
I use GFTUK with £1 or £2 per point
5,15, minute & 1hour charts, Daily and weekly. CCI,RSI,MACD,EMA. Also use pivot points.

Good thread

Karl Ashworth

Welcome along Karl and good luck !

Hi Ashwoka

You have to take into consideration the margin required and the spreads but I've just done a quick check on Fins rolling Footsie and their end of year bet. Apart from the difference in price, the amount of fall for the rolling from midnight to a few mins ago is 15.5 points for rolling and 16 points for year end. Over the last fourx5' bars the drop seems to be 3.5 for rolling and 5 for year end. It needs to be monitored for several days, probably, but there does not seem to be much difference to me.

What scares me is trading indices overnight. That limits me because I can only trade mornings.

Split

Last edited:
May I venture to say that this could be a good time to buy the FTSE if you believe the longer term rally can keep going.

It seems to be that around 6550 (Jun Fut) might act as support.

I am buying the Fut here with a 30 point stop and a target of back up to the highs.

My first longer viewed trade in a while, fingers crossed!

Stephen McCreedy

Attachments

• ftse.jpg
    ftse.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 153
May I venture to say that this could be a good time to buy the FTSE if you believe the longer term rally can keep going.

It seems to be that around 6550 (Jun Fut) might act as support.

I am buying the Fut here with a 30 point stop and a target of back up to the highs.

My first longer viewed trade in a while, fingers crossed!

Stephen McCreedy

Think I might be about to join you in a long Stephen...........just waiting for things to line up. :|

Hi Ashwoka

...............What scares me is trading indices overnight...................

Split

May be scary, split, but a goodly proportion of the good moves come from the opening gaps which are usually missed if trying for it via day trading.

cheers

jon

It seems reluctant to go higher but often some of the more vicious turn arounds are. They like to sulk around the lows for a bit to get weak bulls shaken out and a few bears on board.

That is my hope anyhow, still I reckon as long as it stays above 6525 region (Fut) then it would be right to pencil in a move higher.

Don't you just wish you had £1,000,000 to trade and only needed 10% a year return to make a good living.

Don't you just feel like it would be easier then and you could pick and choose your trades!

One day.

Stephen

Morning,

Sorry I was not here yesterday, had meetings all day :cry:

Anyways, I am SHORT @ 6548.0

SL at +10

* Stopped out for +10

Thanks

Last edited:
I reckon anything below 470 and above 430 (Jun Fut) is no man's land before the BoE meeting this afternoon, don't think you can read too much in to any moves in this zone.

I would think downside would be capped at 425 which acted as resistance when we traded sideways last month.

It's a tough one to call but for me if there was a dip to around 20 points below where we are now before or just after the meeting I would be buying (as long as the BoE don't raise .5%, then I think we'll plunge).

If someone twisted my arm I'd want to be long at this point (450 fut)

Stephen

Just noticed all my numbers were 100 points out, ie should all read 5XX (as on chart) not 4XX as posted.

Attachments

• ftse.jpg
    ftse.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Low at 528 compared to my predicted support at 525. I just wish I'd waited for a better entry price.

It looks like previous resistance has turned to support and for now at least buying dips whilst above this level with stops beneath would look like a good idea.

This reminds me something that I often think; you can draw a million moving averages or other indicators but the most important piece of information is often price support and resistance.

I wonder how rich we'd be if since the bull market started we bought new monthly highs with stops beneath previous resistance.

Probably better off than guessing the day to day slings and arrows!

Stephen McCreedy

Attachments

• ftse.jpg
    ftse.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 133
That long didn't last for long!

I guess as they say when the last bear turns positive it's the time to sell so I reckon I should have second guessed myself!

I wonder how deep the fall will be or if we'll be pushing the highs again soon.

it is May though and there is a lot of profit to be taken perhaps the top has passed?

I'm going back to 'trade what I see' on the 5 min chart, all this long term pseudo fundamentals and forcasting is expensive, following what happens as it happens paid me more!

The best spell I ever had was laying 9ema on the five minute chart, not trading till 9am when things have settled down and simply making sure I was never short above the average and never long below it, taking losses quickly and hanging on to the promising ones.

Deep down I think expressing an opinion on here sometimes fixes my frame of mind when it needs to be more flexible.

Stephen

Trying to trade, bad day today I just can't seem to make it passed a certain £ amount in my account. Just flucuates around it!!! Any tips on creating a plan for trading the FSTE.