All things FTSE

I am flat with an order to short below the low of the day and to buy around ten points higher than where we are now, we'll see which way it wants to push.

My aim for this week it to try and only enter the market on stops, I did it for a period before and it worked well. Basically you are only ever entering in the direction the market is already moving.

Good luck lurker.

Stephen

Hi all

Attempted an short entry at 6569 (Cash) but wasn't filled. Still keeping the limit open. Anyone here with undeclared positions.

I think short term we have a downtrend, and I am looking to sell on pullbacks.

Lurker - I went short on the MA cross at 98 on the futures.

Thank you - good luck also. I've cancelled my stop as there is news coming. Will consider another entry soon. TradIndex doesn't allow stop entry, but CMC does. I'll consider it (although slippage can be a problem with stop entries). I was given some advice the other day that there is only ever one direction to trade a market, and you should know whether you will be long or short for the whole day before you put on a trade. The long term FTSE trend is up, but we are in a downtrend today. So I think it could go either way, but that contradicts the advice I was given. I think I am maybe overanalysing...

Good luck also, and post your trades if you can

Lurker - I went short on the MA cross at 98 on the futures.

Well played - I was away from the market at that time. Also, I'm going to ignore the cash market and trade "daily future" contracts instead. SB companies have to mess about with the "cash" market they offer because they hedge in the futures I think. I'm looking for a short around 6575 (fut).l

Good stuff ! What made you take the short there LL ?

Combination of chart resistance (which didn't look like it would break with weak price action), sideways trading, and MACD crossover. I consider that we are in a downtrend and that level of resistance represented a pullback. I was only going for 10 points or so.

But what made me cover? Hitting my price target. I am trying to reduce risk, and that was an acceptable profit, it was near chart support, so I covered. It would have been smarter profit wise to hold considering the downtrend, but it could have gone the other way and I am eager to get a few good trades with small stake sizes under my belt before I can go back to "proper" trading.

Last edited:
Long from 6565 (June Fut).
Entered on CCI and RSI being oversold, near days lows, chart support. Weak price decline.
Target - 6572.

Hi lurker

It can be useful to have a daily bias ie only long or only short based on a longer term indicator maybe a ema on the hourly or daily chart.

It is important though that you also put in a daily bias line that you don't contrevene!

The reason I say this is that I used to use a daily bias system if the ftse was above it's 8ema I'd only look to be long.

I also said that I'd only be long when the market was above the 21ema on the five min chart, that meant every day I knew when to be in or out of the market.

The danger for me was that come reversal days you might have made money plenty of times being long and hanging on, then all of a sudden you go long and it doesn't show a profit, you think "nevermind it'll come good", then if shows a greater loss, then you add again, it get's worse etc etc.

Next thing you know a month's money is gone in one reversal day.

I think it's a good system, or a good backdrop to a good system but as always it will be the trader not the system that undoes the good work in the end!

With a daily bias you can spend a lot of the day out of the market or even a whole day out of the market. This isn't a bad thing but it is something you have to be prepared for.

I am now flat on the FTSE and will remain so untill this afternoon's US direction becomes a little more clear to see.

Stephen

Long from 6565 (June Fut).
Entered on CCI and RSI being oversold, near days lows, chart support. Weak price decline.
Target - 6572.

Cover at 6570. Lower than target again, but still +5 tics! Total of +15 bagged, with each trade adding an extra £1 to stake size.

Great minds my friend. I am now flat on the FTSE also, having bagged 15 tics and paid 6 spread. I am waiting to see about entering the market after the Dow opens. Come 1530, I'll probably wind up any FTSE positions and move over to the Dow. I am making good gains, but speaking of your little snafu with the whole months profit being wiped out - I managed to kill the profit earned week beginning 23 April in just 6 trading days.

Here's to discipline!

Then you're missing pips, but also missing small trades and whipsaws. Out of curiosity, what method do you use?

Hi all,

My recap for the day, short and sweet as I have been out of the office for most of the day

Short FTSE + 17
Long FTSE - 10
Short FTSE +5.5
Short Antofagasta +2.3

Todays net result: +14.8

Seeya all tomorrow :cool: