Advise for IT careeer in IB, HedgeFunds etc

victor123

Hi,

I am lookig for an IT job in an IB, hegefund or similar working on derivative related projects, trading systems, front-office etc. Please note that I am not looking for the job of a quant or a trader. But I may be working for one of them.

My question is from the software point of view learning which language would maximise my chances of getting an IT job in the above areas.

(1) C++

(2) Excel / VBA

(3) Java

(4) Others ??

I have spoken to two persons of some standing. One of them told me learning Excel well would be a good way forward. Apparently very few know Excel well. Another told me C++ is best (though difficult to learn).

Could you please advise the IT skills that are in highest demand if you wanted to get a IT job in IBs etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

victor123 said:
Hi,

I am lookig for an IT job in an IB, hegefund or similar working on derivative related projects, trading systems, front-office etc. Please note that I am not looking for the job of a quant or a trader. But I may be working for one of them.

My question is from the software point of view learning which language would maximise my chances of getting an IT job in the above areas.

(1) C++

(2) Excel / VBA

(3) Java

(4) Others ??

I have spoken to two persons of some standing. One of them told me learning Excel well would be a good way forward. Apparently very few know Excel well. Another told me C++ is best (though difficult to learn).

Could you please advise the IT skills that are in highest demand if you wanted to get a IT job in IBs etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

C++ isn't that difficult to learn imo - it's a reasonably logical language.

Personally I would have thought that Java would be your very best bet but others may think differently. However I would probably agree that there are very few who know Excel well.

C++ is a good start, although C# is not so common, easier to learn, and in demand now, I know loads of employers looking. Excel VBA can also take you a long way. They'll be looking for 1 year min work experience in investment banking or with IBs as clients, getting your first role may be tricky !

Good luck
rog1111