Advice needed for currency trading careers

daveman13

I would first like to say this is my first post on these forums and I hope this post is located in the correct section.

I am seeking some advice about a career as a currency strategist or currency analyst.

I have been trading currencies for the past three years, two of those years being pointless and a waste of time and money. However, in the past year, my trading has developed and I have finally become profitable. I have reclaimed all the money I have put into my account over the past two years, and cleared even more than that.

I would say my success really relates to me taking it seriously and really enjoying the trading itself.

Now, I want to go beyond just trading at home. I would like a career in the field, particularly as a currency strategist or analyst.

These are the things that I'm considering:
1) Trade independently for the next 2 years while I get a masters in Econ (my undergraduate degree is in Arabic, nothing related to business)

2) Take the Series 3, 7, 86/87 Exams. There's so many series exams I'm not even sure which ones I need to take before I get in with a firm or are they ones they might sponsor me for?

3) Take the Chartered Market Technician Exam (CMT)

4) or the CFA exam?

5) What about junior currency trading programs? I saw a few online but they require a degree from a prestigious university, which I don't have. Wouldn't they prefer an actual proven and profitable trading record over a person with no trading experience but let's say, a BA in Finance from Harvard.

The honest truth is I'm really not sure what is the best path to take and I don't know many people in the industry that I could ask.

I appreciate your time reading this.

- Dave

Last edited: