Advice for a lost undergrad ?

I am in a slightly similar position, are you sure it is your a level results that are the problem though? I wouldnt be so hard on yourself, it is extremely competitive at the mo.

If you want to do it dont give up, but you really have to look at why you want to do this? it is hard but i found once i did it made it a lot easier.

I'm in a similar situation, kinda but not really.
Instead of finishing my a-levels and going university, i decided to trade at home, i figured that in 3 years time, i'd be better at trading than anyone with an economics degree ;) and i'd have the evidence to prove it, then i could get a job in a firm.
Well, going very good so far, my first months i turned £5k into £59k and now i'm doing even better!... Thinking of just applying now i think them results are good enough for a firm. In fact i'm talking to someone on this forum about maybe working for him during the summer/gap-year.

FunFun :) The people they 'hired' crashed the economy, in a lot of cases, with huge benefit to their companies. I know i'm made ALOT shorting this economic drop. I'm expecting a market reversal VERY soon though, i thought it would be today actually! So waiting for S&P500 close :)

P.s. Being good at Maths doesn't mean you'll be good at trading...
GCSE Math: B ;) Intermediate paper.

Its about being able to learn fast and think fast, i suppose you've got to be able to add/subtract really quick, kinda. But depends on your trading style.

I'm in a similar situation, kinda but not really.
Instead of finishing my a-levels and going university, i decided to trade at home, i figured that in 3 years time, i'd be better at trading than anyone with an economics degree ;) and i'd have the evidence to prove it, then i could get a job in a firm.
Well, going very good so far, my first months i turned £5k into £59k and now i'm doing even better!... Thinking of just applying now i think them results are good enough for a firm. In fact i'm talking to someone on this forum about maybe working for him during the summer/gap-year.

FunFun :) The people they 'hired' crashed the economy, in a lot of cases, with huge benefit to their companies. I know i'm made ALOT shorting this economic drop. I'm expecting a market reversal VERY soon though, i thought it would be today actually! So waiting for S&P500 close :)

let me guess ..."paper trading" or "demo" 59k ?

if you were making that, you don't need to w*rk for anyone

get real

Hi,

I am an aspiring undergrad reading Economics at a very good university in the UK. For the past several months I have been scrambling to find a summer internship in a bank to learn how professional traders work. But it seems my very average a-level grade is essentially preventing me to land even interviews. (i was lucky to get a place in this university and i am a high 2.1 student).

Having done almost all I could for my CV (extra-curri, part time jobs, volunteering), and still not succeeding in getting anywhere, I am nevertheless refusing to see this as a market signal that I should try something else. Because, I am very good at maths. all the numeracy tests they offer, I seem to pass very well (however easy it may be). and because the very people they hired crashed the economy, surely the HR is partly to blame (?).

So, as the recruiting season almost draws to an end my alternative would be to find a summer job in an accountancy firm or something else and learn to trade part time.

Or, based on what the banks are saying about me as a candidate, should i just give up ? What do you recommend i do to self-evaluate myself as a potentially successful trader ? are there any small firms i can join to learn during this summer ?

HELP !

have you found the job yet? if not, come work at my fx firm for free.. msg me for more info :p

Hi,

I am an aspiring undergrad reading Economics at a very good university in the UK. For the past several months I have been scrambling to find a summer internship in a bank to learn how professional traders work. But it seems my very average a-level grade is essentially preventing me to land even interviews. (i was lucky to get a place in this university and i am a high 2.1 student).

Having done almost all I could for my CV (extra-curri, part time jobs, volunteering), and still not succeeding in getting anywhere, I am nevertheless refusing to see this as a market signal that I should try something else. Because, I am very good at maths. all the numeracy tests they offer, I seem to pass very well (however easy it may be). and because the very people they hired crashed the economy, surely the HR is partly to blame (?).

So, as the recruiting season almost draws to an end my alternative would be to find a summer job in an accountancy firm or something else and learn to trade part time.

Or, based on what the banks are saying about me as a candidate, should i just give up ? What do you recommend i do to self-evaluate myself as a potentially successful trader ? are there any small firms i can join to learn during this summer ?

HELP !

Secondary enough of that negative attitude. I have just completed my degree with a 1st in Finance and Management and I thought it was a lost cause. Perseverance and dedication has paid off. Althought I have limited expereince of trading, I have been a corporate financial analyst for IBM for 2 years. I have an spread betting account (now liquidated) to just learn and develop. This has in turn help my CV and cover letter and it is then a matter of attitude.

There are hundreds if not thousands of firms looking for candidates and although they do not post vacancies you can always approach them. Students are all too often concerned with applying in the buldge bracket which is in my opinion is over-rated. Having said that Citi called me out of the blue and asked for an interview for a Product Control position out in Hungary for an 18 month term. Yes it is not trading but I am close to the desk and dealing with traders and managers. The networking radar will come out in force.

My recommendation to you is just bug people. Do up your CV and get on the phone, search through the threads, websites for contacts and just pick up the phone and ask. I have spoken to Hedge Funds, Prop Houses, Arcades and other boutiques and they are usually more than happy to consider my details. The next step is to follow that up and show motivation. There is something out there, all it takes is for you to keep an open mind.

Like you I wanted to do trading but I guess in the current climate if Citi say yes I will be on the plane and learn and develop my knowledge. In 2 years prop houses and aracdes will be there but I am at least building a bridge for the future. In the mean time I have my EOD data, TA software and will continue to develop my knowledge and strategies around futures with emphasis on soft commodities.

If you want a chat PM me I am more than happy to help and point you in some direction, I was until recently in the same boat. I am sure I can learn from you and vice versa.