Active day and swing traders

FYI looks to me like a large part of the YELL sell order has just printed (though shown as a buy): 5.5m shares @ 482.75... and another 5.5m at the same price:... I might get back in now, on signs of improvement

Re-entered RR long @ 374, with ultratight stop. +ve newsflow, chart suggesting a bounce & good buy spt on Level2. Treating this as a day trade. If it doesn't get stopped out & US markets recover will stay in, as a continuation of my earler trade. OTOH if it looks flakey towards COB will exit again.

Phew! Busy period: opened longs in BG @ 504.5 and RIO @ 2194. Both look like they're breaking out on the upside. Tight stops set for both. RIO trade is strictly a day-trade (longer term the recent "island reversal" in daily prices is a very bearish pattern). BG., however, I'll leave open if US continues positively: plenty of room left in daily uptrend

Glad I didn't enter the CBRY long I was also considering: they've just issued a profit warning and price is collapsing!

Good trading,

Mark

...and taken profits on RIO long @ 2210 :). Might have further to go but I'm not risking a fallback.

Closed RR. trade @ B/E: doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this despite +ve US open. BG looks a bit more promising.

Me to, busy as hell and just signed up to ProRealtime's level 2 service, nice as it is a highly enhanced version on D4F's charts, more correctly D4F uses the charts from PRT's Lev 2 workstation.

I digress.
Opened ANTO just after 11 @ 1442 on MACD and supertrend reversal, kept stops trailing to now 1470, I will let it sit there and close if it falls. No complaints at 28 points for a mornings work!

BWNG crashed through my stop and gave a 16 point loss.
GKN and CTM seem to be holding.

Dax has tested 3 times and failed to break convincingly above 5000.
FTSE seems to be fairing slightly better, all eyes on the US open

Thats all for today. Have a problem with my VoIP phone so off to battle with IT people then off for a round of golf!

Good evening to all,

Dave :eek: :eek:

Have a good round Dave!

I'm also glad today's over - shame I didn't stick with RIO! It's now climbed right back past the earlier gap, so I might consider getting back in for a longer term long trade tomorrow.

Dow looks encouraging & BG has held up pretty well, so decided to stay in that trade.

'evening all,

Mark

Hi guys!

Before reading your posts I'm going to post mine, as it could take me a while to read the almost 10 pages I missed during this week. So a quick update on me:

I've finally started trading again after revising few things with my previous trades. Positions:

this morning I closed long DGE and long HG. I'm still long OOM.

The day before yesterday went long RB., which I closed this morning after I was stopped out.

Open trades:

Short HG. this morning,
Short ABG yesterday
Short AVE this morning

Reasons to close DGE and HG. are pretty obvious from the charts, both didn't manage to cross resistance.
Short AVE as I think it's due a reaction there, if it crosses clean the 200-ema I'm out and maybe thinking about reversing! Well, I dont' know if I'll go that far, but I'm ready to accept I'm wrong in this one pretty quickly.
Short ABG as it broke down a support of a quite weird top. I'm still short after this morning rally because it failed to keep going and that seemed to me a signal that for the moment I'm still ok. Anyway, It's very close to a support level, so I might be closing that soon if it proves to be a good support.

I thought I'll start posting in the evening because during the day I need all of my one neuron cell to focus in the market...so I'll read you again tomorrow evening,

Good trading!

Silvia.

Hi Silvia et al,

Bad news again this eveniing: DOW took a tumble yet again, so this doesn't augur well for tomorrow morning.

In the light of that I decided to accept the offered 5 pt spread for out of hours trading and close my BG long @ 501.5, for a 3pt loss.

I think we're in a very difficult time right now, with markets crashing around our ears. I am unlikely to be considering any longs tomorrow but have MRW and SN. in my sights for possible shorts.

Good night,

Mark

Morning all,
I am not sure if the DOW closed at more or less its lows due to the security issue or market forces. Anyway, the FTSE is climbing from yesterdays close.
I kept ANTO open overnight with a tight stop and although it looks as if it might close on the stop it looks semi stable, I wont play with it. If it closes at the stop it is a good profit anyway, opened @ 1442 and the stop is 1484 which is right where the lev2 bid price is!
GKN and CTM are the only non intraday trades still open, holding steady.

I, like Mark have nothing on the sidelines for longer term longs today but will keep an active watch for intraday trades.
At the end of today I will either make very tight stops or close everything, gut feeling says that we will rally here and in the US but gut feelings are dangerous emotions.

Good trading to all
Dave

PS, to avoid boring the general audience I will not post my intraday trades unless someone is particularly interested..

Just about everything down this morning. ANTO hit stop and closed for 42 points profit.
Small short on UKX but the market seems to be waiting for something.
Time to keep hands in pockets me thinks!

What is happening with Billiton at the moment. Is this just a short term dip or will this keep falling for some time.

Is this influenced by the US because there is a high demand for products in ASIA ... ?

Hi Neiz,
from a technical point of view miners are out of favour, see my ANTO trade. As we have mentioned, miners are generally large cap heavyweights and as such move in sympathy, or more correctly tend to drive the indices.
If you look at the FTSE 350 mining index you will see that we are in a short term down trend within the overall strong up trend.

I cannot comment as to why but for the time being, unless you trade intraday, I would leave any mining stock alone until the uptrend is re-established.

Good trading
Dave

'morning all,

Well I certainly got my fears concerning BG wrong last night.

Opened a short in MRW this morning @ 177.5.

Longs in GSK & SPW doing well, against the odds.

Generally, I'm very wary about what might happen over the weekend. I imagine investors & traders will have good hard look at their positions. The reaction on Monday will be very telling: if we close that day up, then I'd conclude that recent falls were just profit taking/short term nervousness and there could be good long opportunities. OTOH if the declines continue then I'd suspect a real turning point in the markets and be favouring the short side generally.

Current position: long GSK (50%), SPW; short KGF, MRW.

Dave,

You mentioned a "security issue". Not sure what you mean (or was it the NYsubway alert?). Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark, we will be getting accused of collusion, I too have MRW on the screener (changed to ProTrader so must use their terminology) for a short, My problem is that although there is a signal we are close to a 1 year low which has been tested a few times and I fear that there is not much "juice" in the trade so I passed it, anyway, good luck.

The security issue indeed was the NY subway alert, I guess it spooked the markets.

I totally agree with your opinions regarding open trades, I only have 2 and have no intention of opening anything that I am not prepared to close intraday.
I had to go out so closed my UKX short early and missed a few points but no big deal, 4 points is profit and better than having an unmonitored open trade, even with stops!
Interestingly both UKX & DAX seem to be bouncing along supports, probably waiting tor US open.

Probably quiet for the rest of the day.

Dave

Hi everybody and welcome to Nelz,

Well, I finally closed my long oom today, pity I didn't think of it before. I just had this bad feeling that we might be in a tricky time, as Mark suggest...Once this messy reaction is finished I'll consider going long again.
Still short ABG, AVE and HG.
I don't know, for the moment I feel more comfortable being short.

I'm going to check the eod charts now and do some work...
See you later!

Silvia.

Euro_d said:
Hey Mark, we will be getting accused of collusion, I too have MRW on the screener (changed to ProTrader so must use their terminology) for a short, My problem is that although there is a signal we are close to a 1 year low which has been tested a few times and I fear that there is not much "juice" in the trade so I passed it, anyway, good luck....
Dave
Hi Dave,

You could well be right about MRW and I might have been a bit hasty on entering that, still, we'll see what happens.

I'm happy to leave the trades I've got open over the weekend. The shorts balance the longs, so I hope I'm protected in the case of any big market moves on Monday.

Cheers,

Mark

Morning Guys,

Hope you all had a good weekend. Well I am happy that I am seeing some green arrows pointing upwards on my shares. had a tough week last week but hoping for some good ness now.

That Aston Martin is getting closer and closer.

Splitlink it is good to see you long on WPP, I was getting worried that I was the only one.

Can anyone tell me what this earthquake might do to the markets.

Happy Trading.

Nelz

The Earthquake will do nothing to the markets as to put it bluntly they don't care about the people of Pakistan.

JonnyT