A swing trader with daily ideas...

Sure, you can call me "The Wagster"...nickname in high school was actually "Wags" but "The Wagster" has a certain air of quality. :cool:

Answers to your questions below...

1.) I trade both ETFs and stocks, depending on market conditions. In strongly uptrending markets, I trade more individual stocks than ETFs because they tend to provide greater alpha due to higher volatility. However, in choppy or downtrending markets, I prefer ETFs because of the diversification they provide, which translates to a smoother equity curve. Furthermore, I like that ETFs can provide a low correlation to the direction of the main stock market indexes (such as through trading currency, commodity, international, or fixed-income ETFs).

2.) Yes, that is correct. Inversely correlated ETFs (commonly referred to as "short ETFs") are designed to move higher as the underlying index moves lower. Therefore, buying an inversely correlated ETFs is similar, though not exactly the same, as selling short the underlying index. One key difference is that, in longer holding periods, inverse and leveraged ETFs will generally underperform the index compared to selling short a regular ETF. I prefer to trade the inverse ETFs only for very short-term moves of no more than a few days.

3.) The perceived contradiction may be due to the fact that we are referencing various time frames. In the very immediate-term (next several days), the reward-risk ratio of new short entries is not very positive because the major indices are indeed nearing key support levels. However, in the near to intermediate-term (the coming weeks), the bias may favor the short side of the market...but stocks need to bounce in the immediate-term first.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Deron

CanI call you "The Wagster"? lol j/k

Anyway, thanks for posting this stuff. I have a few questions if you don't mind as I am interested in Swing Trading.

1. It sounds like ETF's are what you prefer to trade. Are they easier to trade than the stock equities themselves?

2. What do you mean by the inversely correlated ETF's? Does that mean if one is down the other will usually be up?

3. Some of the information sound contradictive. Some of it sounds like now would be a good time to short. But then again it sounds like it isn't a good time to short because of the major indicies are reaching major support levels.

Bearish "head and shoulders" pattern in the small-cap Russell 2000 Index ($RUT)

Equities closed lower on higher volume yesterday, but well off session lows. The major indices all gapped down at the open, “undercut” their April 23rd lows, then reversed to close near their intraday highs. In the May 2 commentary of The Wagner Daily, we stated this exact price action (an “undercut” of the April 23 lows) had a good likelihood of occurring in the coming days. Although it has been showing relative weakness to the broad market for many months, the small-cap Russell 2000 made the biggest comeback yesterday, as it nearly erased all of the day’s earlier losses. The Russell ended the session lower by just 0.1%. The S&P MidCap 400 lost 0.2%, while both the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite declined 0.4%.

Market internals ended the day mixed. Volume surged on the Nasdaq by 24% and on the NYSE by 20%. However, the Nasdaq’s declining volume outpaced advancing volume by a ratio of 2.2 to 1. The adv/dec volume ratio in the NYSE was negative by a margin of 2.8 to 1. Although declining volume was higher than advancing volume, the gap between the two narrowed throughout the day. Further, the sharp intraday price reversal in the broad market, accompanied by significantly higher volume, pointed to institutional accumulation on both exchanges (despite the lower closing prices).

Since February of this year, the small-cap Russell 2000 has been struggling to move to higher ground, and has now formed a “head and shoulders” pattern on its daily chart. A head and shoulders formation is considered a bearish reversal pattern (only when an established uptrend is in place), and is formed when price action in the market creates a technical pattern that visually looks like a human’s head and shoulders. In the daily chart of the small-cap Russell 2000 below, this pattern formation is quite evident:

120509$RUT.gif

On the chart above, notice the symmetry between the left and right shoulders. As of yesterday's close, the right shoulder has been developing for 21 days and is now just three days shy of the 24 days it took the left shoulder to develop. Also, notice the dashed horizontal line labeled "neckline." This line represents the final level of key support; if breached, the result could be a significant move lower in the Russell 2000 Index. Once support of the neckline is breached, the predicted decline in the index is typically equal to the distance from the top of the head down to the neckline (the blue vertical line). The projected decline is marked by the black vertical line. In this example, if the Russell 2000 loses support of the neckline at 785, the predicted selloff would be down to the 720 area. We will be monitoring the Russell carefully for potential short entry in its corresponding ETF, as its next test of the 785 level could result in the loss of major support that leads to downside follow through in its head and shoulders pattern.

Yesterday, we sold our position in ProShares UltraShort Emerging Markets ($EEV), as it hit its profit target. This enabled us to follow up our prior day's 9% realized gain in $SOXS with a 5% gain on our 3-day hold with $EEV. Selling into strength allowed us to capture the lion's share of the move in both $SOXS and $EEV. Now, we are completely flat (100% cash). Although Tuesday showed signs of institutional accumulation for the Nasdaq and the NYSE, the market must still prove it can hold yesterday's lows and continue to show signs of further accumulation amongst banks, mutual funds, hedge funds, and other institutions. However, yesterday was a good first step toward restoring market confidence.

Two ETFs to put on your radar for potential entry ($QQQ, $IWM)

In this YouTube video, I briefly discuss the technical pattern of the Nasdaq 100 Index ETF ($QQQ), as well as the bearish pattern of the Russell 2000 ETF ($IWM). Two ETFs to put on your radar for potential trade entry.

Sure, you can call me "The Wagster"...nickname in high school was actually "Wags" but "The Wagster" has a certain air of quality. :cool:

Answers to your questions below...

1.) I trade both ETFs and stocks, depending on market conditions. In strongly uptrending markets, I trade more individual stocks than ETFs because they tend to provide greater alpha due to higher volatility. However, in choppy or downtrending markets, I prefer ETFs because of the diversification they provide, which translates to a smoother equity curve. Furthermore, I like that ETFs can provide a low correlation to the direction of the main stock market indexes (such as through trading currency, commodity, international, or fixed-income ETFs).

2.) Yes, that is correct. Inversely correlated ETFs (commonly referred to as "short ETFs") are designed to move higher as the underlying index moves lower. Therefore, buying an inversely correlated ETFs is similar, though not exactly the same, as selling short the underlying index. One key difference is that, in longer holding periods, inverse and leveraged ETFs will generally underperform the index compared to selling short a regular ETF. I prefer to trade the inverse ETFs only for very short-term moves of no more than a few days.

3.) The perceived contradiction may be due to the fact that we are referencing various time frames. In the very immediate-term (next several days), the reward-risk ratio of new short entries is not very positive because the major indices are indeed nearing key support levels. However, in the near to intermediate-term (the coming weeks), the bias may favor the short side of the market...but stocks need to bounce in the immediate-term first.

Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Deron

Hey Deron!

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly answer my questions. I did notice that in your original post you did mention Intermediate time-frame, I'm not sure why I got confused. Also, thanks for the new updates. I hope you will keep them coming. I'm sure in no time this thread will be amongst the most popular around here. Well maybe, I'm still new here but it seems like a lot of people here are more into to Forex or E-mimi.

I'm fairly new at trading and learning new things everyday. I've been exposed to stocks and I understand them for the most part. However, now that you are introducing me to this somewhat brand new and exciting world of ETF's I was wondering if you could maybe write a thread on it. If you have some free time that is. You seem very knowledgeable about the topic and I think I wouldn't be the only benefiting from it. Of course if you just don't have the time, I understand.

In the Russell 2000 chart there indeed seems to be a head and shoulders pattern. It also looks like the price action has broken the neckline. How long would you short something like this for? Is this the type of trade that would only last for a few days as you stated in your reply. Or is this the type of set up that one would stay in longer?

Hey themilton,

No problem. I am always happy if I can help a newer trader lessen the learning curve by avoiding some of the hard lessons I have already learned in the past.

As for a thread on ETFs, just keep checking this thread because most of the commentary I post here is an excerpt from my daily swing trading newsletter, which always contains objective analysis of at least one or two ETFs that are poised for potential buy or sell short entry, based on their technical chart patterns. My last book, Trading ETFs: Gaining An Edge With Technical Analysis, may be of assistance to you as well because it explains more thoroughly what I do.

The Russell 2000 has not yet confirmed the breakdown below the neckline, although it would only take one solid move lower for that to happen. In that case, I would use a trailing stop above each "swing high" and/or the 20-day EMA to lock in profits along the way. However, it would probably be a hold time of at least several weeks because projected decline would be the distance from the top of the "head" down to the "neckline."

Hope that helps.

Deron

Hey Deron!

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly answer my questions. I did notice that in your original post you did mention Intermediate time-frame, I'm not sure why I got confused. Also, thanks for the new updates. I hope you will keep them coming. I'm sure in no time this thread will be amongst the most popular around here. Well maybe, I'm still new here but it seems like a lot of people here are more into to Forex or E-mimi.

I'm fairly new at trading and learning new things everyday. I've been exposed to stocks and I understand them for the most part. However, now that you are introducing me to this somewhat brand new and exciting world of ETF's I was wondering if you could maybe write a thread on it. If you have some free time that is. You seem very knowledgeable about the topic and I think I wouldn't be the only benefiting from it. Of course if you just don't have the time, I understand.

In the Russell 2000 chart there indeed seems to be a head and shoulders pattern. It also looks like the price action has broken the neckline. How long would you short something like this for? Is this the type of trade that would only last for a few days as you stated in your reply. Or is this the type of set up that one would stay in longer?

Financial Bear ETF ($FAZ) poised for NEAR-TERM buy entry

Over the past five sessions, the Direxion Financial Bear 3x Shares ETF ($FAZ) has been consolidating at support of its 20-day and 50-day moving averages. FAZ has also tested resistance around the $23.70 area three times within the past five weeks. As such, a move above this pivotal resistance level could generate momentum that leads FAZ substantially higher in the near-term. Subscribers of my newsletter should note our specific entry, stop, and target prices for this swing trade in “today’s watchlist” section. The following daily chart illustrates the technical setup for this potential trade:

120511FAZ.gif

As a reminder, note that FAZ is a leveraged “short ETF.” As with many other inversely correlated ETFs, especially the leveraged ones, this trade is designed to be of a very short-term nature. If it triggers our price for buy entry, we only plan to hold for a quick pop (anticipated hold time of just 3 to 4 days). Our average holding period for most swing trades is 1 to 3 weeks, but inversely correlated, leveraged ETFs typically underperform the underlying index as the holding period increases.

Despite yesterday’s higher finish, it is noteworthy that all the major indices closed near their intraday lows. The market continues to struggle as leadership stocks are being hit hard. Yesterday, CRM fell over 10% and PCLN dropped almost 6.0%. Without solid leadership amongst individual stocks, the broad market is typically unable to move significantly higher. For the moment, more and more short setups seem to be developing, and we are finding fewer potential long candidates during our nightly research. For now, our bias remains on the short side of the market, but patience is required to allow setups to unfold.

Direxion Small Cap 3x Bear ETF ($TZA) on the verge of breaking out

The Direxion Small Cap 3x Bear ETF ($TZA) is on the verge of breaking out above a major resistance level, as annotated on the chart below. A rally above yesterday's (May 15) high of $20.98 could provide a buying opportunity for a near-term trade in this inversely correlated ETF.

As with all "short ETFs," which typically underperform their underlying indexes with longer holding periods, this swing trade is only intended to be held for a quick "pop" of no more than a few days (as opposed to our typical holding time of 1 to 3 weeks). Subscribers should note the "watchlist" segment of today's newsletter for my exact entry, stop, and target prices on this trade setup. The technical trade setup for TZA is shown on the daily chart below:

120516TZA.gif

Yesterday, on a burst of volume, the Market Vectors Retail ETF ($RTH) formed a bearish reversal candle as it rallied to test resistance of its 50-day MA before fading into the close. Now, a volume-fueled move below yesterday's low of $40.90 could provide a potential short sale entry trigger for this ETF:

120516RTH.gif

Based on yesterday's price and volume action in the broad market, as well as the inability of stocks to hold their morning rally attempt, more near-term downside could be in store. With the exception of the S&P MidCap 400 Index, all the major indices have fallen below support of their prior lows from April, resulting in the formation of new "swing lows." If the stock market is unable to recover quickly on this morning (May 16), we could see a significant round of selling momentum in the near-term.

Until next time, good trading to you all.

3 stocks on my radar for potential short entry (swing trades)

Going into today (May 17), here are three stocks on my watchlist for potential swing trade short entry within the next few days: $MW, $CTSH, $CHRW. Here is a short video analysis of the three technical setups:

Today's best swing trading stock & ETF picks - (shorts $MW, $CTSH, $CHRW) - YouTube

Note to moderator: Still working on getting videos successfully uploaded to the new video section of T2W. In the meantime, just using the YouTube link today (not my blog).

Is the Nasdaq, Dow Jones, and S&P 500 technically “oversold”? ($COMPX, $DJIA, $SPX)

The weekly chart below shows the percentage of stocks in the U.S. stock markets currently trading above their respective 40-day moving averages (this is a built-in indicator on the Telechart 2000 platform). As indicated in the graph, the percentage of stocks trading above their 40-day MAs is nearing the extreme 8-12% level, which we have seen during two major selloffs since the beginning of 2010 (represented by the yellow horizontal line).

This indicator is NOT used for market timing, as the indicator usually leads a market bottom by several weeks or more. Nevertheless, it does a good job of defining where the broad market is in terms of overall breadth. Once the market reaches an extreme level such as this, it can then begin to repair itself over the next few months:

40MA5.gif

Along with indicator above, both the NYSE and Nasdaq McClellan Oscillator are in deeply "oversold" territory. *Furthermore, the major indices are now trading at or near major long-term support of their respective 200-day moving averages. *Like the indicator shown on the chart above, the McClellan Oscillator*is NOT used by our trading strategy as a market timing tool. Nevertheless, with many indicators and stocks at extremely "oversold" levels in the near-term, astute traders should be prepared for a swift reversal (counter-trend bounce) to the upside.

Until the inevitable broad market bounce eventually comes, we plan to avoid entries into new short positions. Further, since stocks are now in an established downtrend, we are not inclined to play the long side of the market either. *Whether the forthcoming bounce will lead to quality short setups on stocks and ETFs that rally into resistance is impossible to know, but that is why we take the market one day at a time and shy away from bold predictions. We only need to know one thing right now: as long as our proven market timing model remains in a "sell" signal, we will be looking to establish new short positions into strength when the major indices bounce.

Finally, now is the perfect time to <em>be patient in the market</em>, especially if you have locked in the gains recently on winning trades on the short side. Opening new trades at the current levels involves taking on too much risk with minimal upside potential (negative reward-risk ratio). Nevertheless, select currency ETFs such as $EUO or commodity ETFs like $DZZ (both pointed out as potential pullback entries in today's newsletter) could be nice plays because they have a low correlation to the direction of the overall equities markets. Otherwise, cash is king and a very valid position.

Last edited:
Nasdaq and S&P 500 bouncing, but stiff resistance looms overhead ($QQQ, $SPY)

Based on yesterday's (May 23) bullish intraday price action, in which stocks shook off substantial early losses and reversed to finish flat to higher on increasing volume, it appears as if we will see a move higher in the main stock market indexes over the next several days. However, there is still an abundance of overhead supply (resistance) stocks must contend with, such as their 20 and 50-day moving averages, as well as horizontal price resistance levels.

The self explanatory charts of the SPDR S&P 500 ETF ($SPY) and the ProShares Nasdaq ETF ($QQQ) below, two popular ETF proxies for the broad market, show the next significant resistance levels for both ETFs. The 20-day EMA is the beige line and 50-day MA is the teal line. We will likely be looking to establish new swing trade short positions (or inverse ETFs) as these indices approach these resistance levels (particuarly if the major indices probe above these levels and then form bearish reversal candles).

120524SPY.gif

120524QQQ.gif

As yesterday clearly demonstrates, market sentiment can reverse quickly. We went from what was shaping up to be a bearish "distribution day" (higher volume decline), to an "accumulation day" (higher volume advance) by the close. However, we still do not yet have a buy signal in the market and remain bearish on the market. Nevertheless, this could change quickly if the market posts another significant "accumulation day" sometime next week. For the moment, we anticipate short selling opportunities to develop as the market bounces.

Last edited:
Hi Licky,

There are four modes to my market timing model (confirmed buy, buy, sell, and confirmed sell). Currently, my model is in "sell" mode. For that to change to buy, several things need to happen. First, we need a bullish reversal candle for the S&P and Nasdaq on higher volume (just like we had on May 23). Then, there needs to a move sharply higher (at least 1.5% to 2%) AND on higher volume within the next four to five days, which would give us buying confirmation. Furthermore, we need to see new leadership emerge in top stocks. There are several other fine points which are proprietary, but that is the basis of it. Right now, we are monitoring for that potential follow-through day.

Glad you enjoy my posts. Thanks!

Deron
I have a question. What would you consider a buy signal?

By the way. I enjoy your posts and your thread.

Four stocks for potential short sale swing trade entry ($AAPL, $V, $MA, $MCD) (

Today, there are four stocks I am stalking for potential short selling entry as swing trades. This short YouTube video provides a technical explanation of the setups. ($AAPL, $V, $MA, $MCD).

As always, remember the importance of not "jumping the gun" with a premature short entry before the actual trigger price is reached.

Discussion on swing trading strategy, market psychology, and principles

Recently, forex trader Jared Mast published titled The Trading Elite: Discussions With Top Financial Traders. It's a book that features educational interviews with well-known traders of various markets. I was honored to be one of those traders that Jared interviewed, and he has granted permission for me to republish that section of his book. Following is a transcript of his interview with me, only slightly edited to reflect a few minor changes in strategy since the interview was conducted. Hope you enjoy and learn a few helpful things.

Deron Wagner specializes in ETFs (and stocks). I was lucky enough to chat with him over the phone while he was in his Hong Kong office. Deron shares some great information on trading and why you need to be in the Asian markets.

Every trader’s background is a little different, what’s yours?

I don’t come from a Wall Street background. I was doing business to business sales, carwash, cleaning chemicals, nothing to do with financial markets. The way I got started it was back in the .com era and in the late 90’s I remember one day seeing in the newspaper for excite.com, which was an early search engine, and their stock price went from, I think it was $6 a share to around $50 a share in a matter of days back in the 90’s.

There were a lot of moves like that. I remember, not knowing anything about stock market but I could do the math. And I thought, well I got to figure out how that works. So, that really intrigued me and started studying it more. That’s how I became interested just kind of by accident actually.

So how did you learn to actually trade successfully?

Initially, the school of hard knocks is how I learned. I lost a lot of money in the beginning and I think that’s one of the best teachers because when you lose money you remember pretty well.

I was self-taught in the beginning. I definitely learned the hard way what worked and what didn’t worked. But then after a while I did start to follow some of the chat rooms that were popular in the day for day trading and couple early educational services.

But I’d say the bulk of what I did I just learned through trial and error. After about a year or two, I eventually got to where I was not losing money.

Another year after that, I was making a profit and then I just kept refining the system over and over again until it was consistent.

What made you keep going when you suffered those initial losses?

I enjoyed the challenge first of all. I’m not only a trader, but I’m also an entrepreneur. I have different businesses that I started over the years and I’ve always enjoyed the challenge of doing that and trading was definitely challenging.

But I also always thought I was right on the verge of getting it, and told myself “if I just can just figure this out, just figure that out, I’ll make it” and eventually I did. But I think that it definitely requires a lot of persistence. It’s not something that one can expect to learn in the first try most of the time.

What type of trader are you: day trader, swing trader? Has your trading evolved overtime?

I started in stocks and then got in ETFs. I’ve been tempted on occasion to try Forex and Options and Futures and so forth.

But what I learned is that when you try to dilute your efforts too much in to learning too many different vehicles, the performance suffers in what you know well. I try to really just stick to what I know.

But my trading has evolved. When I started out, I was a day trader. I did that for a couple of years. Although I was okay at it, it really just burned me out mentally.

Staring at the screen all day, getting in and out, it just wasn’t my style. Eventually, that turned into more of a swing trading style playing momentum base moves that I hold for several days maybe a week or two.

Now, I actually do more position trades, still technical based, but holding longer, several weeks to several months. I find that it has evolved over the years too, longer and longer timeframe but based on the same principles.

And what are those principles?

Most of what we do is technical. I’d say about 95% of our decisions are technical. But often with some of the ETFs such as commodity ETFs as an example, oil or something like that, we are aware of fundamentals such as reports that are out and so forth that could affect the move.

We try to base our decisions on technical analysis because most of the time in the news you need to know is already priced into the chart pattern anyway.

Fundamentals just play a very small role. As far as the types of setups that we do, it depends really on the market conditions. In the trending market, we do a lot of breakouts, ETFs and stocks that are consolidating near the highest for maybe two to five week range and then we buy the breakout.

It’s pretty basic. We also like to buy pullbacks when something pulls back, like when the strongest trending ETF pulls back to the 20 day exponential moving average. If it’s the first touch of that 20 day MA, a day after a strong breakout, that’s often a very ideal entry point. A similar, but opposite, strategy is employed for short selling in downtrending markets.

The market’s dynamics sometimes change what works and what doesn’t. One thing we found lately that’s working is buying failed breakouts.

Basically, something breaks out and a day or two later it fails. It goes back into the range. But if the next day it gaps up, often that gap up will take it back up and the breakout will follow through because all the people that bought the breakout are disappointed and they’re out. Now, there’s less overhead supply. That’s one of the more recent patterns we’ve been having success with.

Really what we do is not rocket science. It’s pretty basic, trend trading, pullback trading, and trend reversals. That’s probably the bulk of it.

Do you ever try and forecast the market?

I do try at times to forecast it. I always regret doing so because I’m usually wrong. Not only that, even if I am right, often it doesn’t mean anything about this ETF or the stock.

Even if I think the market’s going to pull back, often it will pull back. But if you’re in a strong stock or strong ETF that has good relevant strength to the market, often the ETF will just ignore the pullback in the market and continue trending higher.

Normally, it just works out to be a bad idea whenever I try to forecast more than a day or two in advance of what’s going to happen.

Basically we have a plan. For example, if the market goes up this is our tentative plan. If the market goes down, this is our plan. But we try not to predict what it’s going to do, just be prepared for whichever scenario might happen.

What’s your opinion on stop losses? How should traders be using them?

We always have a predetermined stop price at the same time we enter the trade. But after the trade sometimes the stop will change.

For example, if we have a large profit showing, we might raise the stop higher or trail stop higher. We always have a stop predetermined at the time of entry.

Not doing so creates a problem for many people including myself because if the stop’s not set at the time of entry, emotions come into play.

Whereas having that firm stop in place really keeps it mechanical and keeps it mathematical. We know for example that if we make a profit on 60% of our trades and our average winner’s bigger than our average loser by say, two-to-one.

We know that at the end of the year we are profitable. But if we don’t have the firm stops in place, let’s say, our win ratio for a year is only 50% and then our average winner is only as large as our average loser because the losses are too big then that would be a breakeven year.

It’s important for the math to work. In order for that to happen, I think one needs to be really consistent with whatever strategy they use in setting stops.

What other traits do you think that successful traders have? Is it risk management or strategy? What do you think?

One of the things is actually what you mentioned earlier and that is just persistence. I’d say a vast majority of traders, I don’t know the percentage exactly, but I’d say it’s greater than 50% of traders that attempt doing this without any prior experience probably lose most or all of their money within the first six months.

I was one of those as well. I’m not embarrassed to admit that. But then the person without persistence just gives up and says, well I don’t know what I’m doing, that’s too difficult, I don’t want to lose money and so forth.

But to people that learn from their mistakes and come back and do it again and maybe lose their money again one more time or two more times, those are the people that generally go on to be the successful traders over the long run. Also following a proven trading strategy that works is very useful at increasing the odds of success, particularly for new traders.

Anyone who’s been trading for a long time and says they’ve never lost money is either lying or I’d say they happened to maybe start right in the beginning of the bull market and haven’t experienced the both directions of the market.

Another one is not being afraid of risk. At the same time you have to respect risk by having stops. But if you’re the kind of person that as soon as the stock moves a few cents against you, you get scared and get out, you’re never going to make money. You have to have a healthy level of risk indulgence but at the same time controlling it. It’s got to be a fine line, a balance somewhere in the middle.

How do you recommend traders with smaller accounts get started?

I’d say that, first of all, what I don’t want to recommend is paper trading. A lot of people say I’m going to paper trade and see if I can get a strategy that works.

In my opinion, paper trading is completely useless because when there’s not-real money involved, your emotions are taken out of it and people react completely different when money’s on the line. That’s what I recommend not doing is paper trading.

As far as what I would recommend doing, I’d say, using ones earned money but maybe a small amount, let’s say someone has $20,000 saved, take 3,000 to 5,000 of it, a very small amount, open an account with a very inexpensive brokerage firm where the trades are only going to cost you a dollar or so, and then just learn a strategy.

The goal in the beginning should not be to make money or to make a profit. The goal is to be just not to lose money and make sure that you can respect risks and honor stops.

Once you’ve proven to yourself that you can do that, and then you can increase your risk. But I think too many people come in to this business with high expectations of making money so they take a lot of risk and that’s how they get blown up right away.

I think it’s really important in the beginning. Don’t worry about making money. Just get a strategy that works.

Any specific trades stick out in your career?

I try not to get excited when I have a good trade and I try not to get disappointed when I have a losing trade. I keep it very mechanical. It’s even difficult for me to think of a trade that comes to mind. Sure, I’ve had many, many winning trades. But, to say that one stands out as a best trade is difficult for me.

I think that that’s the way that all traders should strive to be is not even look at it as, “look at this I made big money” or “this is really bad I lost a lot of money in this one.”

It should be definitely emotionless like a robot. Now of course, we’re humans so that’s not really possible. But that should be the goal, to be like a robot.

I know for example that overtime every ten trades I take on average, I’m going to lose on 4 or 5 of them, make money in 5 or 6 of them and my average winner is going to be twice as big as my average loser.

Therefore, at the end of the day or at the end of the year, it’s profitable. But how I make that money and which trade, it doesn’t really, it’s completely irrelevant to me which trade makes the money and which one doesn’t. It’s a numbers game.

I take it and you see a lot of opportunity in the foreign markets as opposed to the US markets right now?

That’s exactly right. I do think that, over the long term, the US markets are rather saturated in the opportunities for growth or going to be much more limited than in the east, in particular Asia.

A good example is the Hang Seng market of Hong Kong. It just had its highest volume day ever about a week ago (when this interview was conducted), whereas the US is still well off its highest volume days of years ago.

There’s huge money flowing into the Asian markets and we’re looking to take what we do and share that with the investors and traders in Asia.

I’d definitely recommend getting involved in the Asian markets.

2 ETFs to trade if the stock market continues lower this week ($DXD, $IYT)

Over the past seven trading days, the inversely correlated ProShares UltraShort Dow Jones 30 ETF ($DXD) has been holding support above its 10-day EMA, and volume also expanded as DXD recently broke out above its range. The recent high-volume breakout above key resistance at the $55.50 level, followed by lighter volume consolidation, means that a volume-fueled move above the three-day high of $58.00 could present a near-term buying opportunity in this ETF:

120529DXD.gif

If it trades above our trigger price for potential buy entry, note that this DXD trade setup is designed to be very short-term in nature (not more than a few days hold time). Due to the daily rebalancing of derivatives that comprise the portfolio of leveraged and "short ETFs," these instruments usually underperform their underlying index as holding time increases. Therefore, the leveraged and inverse ETFs are best used for relatively quick, momentum-based trades of just a few days or less.

Last Friday, on an uptick in volume, the iShares Dow Jones Transportation Average Index Fund ($IYT) failed to reclaim support of its 20-day EMA and closed its intraday low. Now, a drop below the two-day low of $90.45 could present a short selling opportunity in this ETF. As such, I am now stalking IYT for potential swing trade entry.

As a reminder, I recommend calling your broker prior to the open to ensure that shares of IYT are available for shorting. If not, you might consider opening a secondary account with a direct access broker that caters to active traders (TradeStation and InteractiveBrokers are two such firms). These types of firms typically have a much more extensive list of shares available for selling short than your traditional web-based brokers designed for long-term "buy and hold" investing. Furthermore, there is no inverse transportation ETF available as an alternative to shorting IYT. The technical trade setup for $IYT is illustrated on the chart below:

120529IYT.gif

The broad market has struggled in its attempt to move to higher ground over the past two weeks. Although we still could see further buying action in the near-term, the longer stocks continue to consolidate near their recent lows, the more likely the next move will be lower. Ideally, I would like to see the main stock market indexes bounce for a few days this week, as this would provide a better reward to risk ratio for new short entries in weak stocks and ETFs, but the stock market could just as easily head lower from the current levels without bouncing.

Nasdaq and S&P 500 bouncing, but sell signal remains intact

Over the past five sessions, the stock market has begun showing signs of a potential bullish reversal. However, there is still a lot of overhead supply stocks must overcome, so we are cautious about changing our bearish sentiment of the market. A quick technical review of the daily charts of the Nasdaq and S&P 500 should help clarify why we are not overly anxious to revert back to the long the market without further confirmation. Let's start with a snapshot of the Nasdaq Composite:

120530$COMPX.gif

On the chart above, notice the Nasdaq is approaching near-term resistance of its 20-day moving average at the 2,900 area. If it is able to reclaim this key mark (former support that has now become resistance), there is still an ample supply of sellers at the 2,960, 3,000 and 3,040 levels. Further, it is unusual for an index to lose support of its 20-day and 50-day moving averages and fall to within striking distance of its 200-day moving average without at least testing or "undercutting" its 200-day moving average.

The benchmark S&P 500 Index also faces formidable resistance. The S&P is now within six points of its 20-day EMA (1,340 area). If it can reclaim support of its 20-day EMA, the S&P still must work its way through key overhead resistance near 1,360 and 1,375. As with the Nasdaq, the S&P 500 has major support at its 200-day. Again, it is unusual for an index to come within striking distance of the 200-day MA without testing it first.

120530$SPXX.gif

Yesterday's stock market performance was impressive, as it resulted in an "accumulation day" for both the NYSE and Nasdaq. However, price action was a bit weaker than we like to see in order to declare a "buy" signal for the broad market. Despite yesterday's bullish price action, there simply isn't enough evidence to support going long right now, especially with the major averages below the 50-day MA. Nevertheless, yesterday's "accumulation day" comes on the heels of last Wednesday's bullish reversal day. Although our market timing model remains on a "sell" signal, we have to be respectful that the market could put in a buy signal quickly. Right now, astute traders must be patient and wait for low risk short setups to develop by the end of the week OR the less likely scenario of a new buy signal to trigger.

My 2 cents on today's broad market price action

On a technical level, I think one reason for today's sharp downward move is the fact that the main stock market indexes all formed bullish intraday reversal bars yesterday AND on sharply higher volume. This led technical traders to believe the next near-term move would be to the upside. So, when the market gapped substantially lower on today's open, the bulls who bought yesterday were trapped, which therefore compounded the weakness. I took profits on most of my short positions yesterday, but flat and happy is just fine with me today.

It is also interesting to see the scenario I suggested in my previous post is playing out now (main stock market indexes "undercutting" their 200-day moving averages before finding a bottom).

Re: My 2 cents on today's broad market price action

On a technical level, I think one reason for today's sharp downward move is the fact that the main stock market indexes all formed bullish intraday reversal bars yesterday AND on sharply higher volume. This led technical traders to believe the next near-term move would be to the upside. So, when the market gapped substantially lower on today's open, the bulls who bought yesterday were trapped, which therefore compounded the weakness. I took profits on most of my short positions yesterday, but flat and happy is just fine with me today.

It is also interesting to see the scenario I suggested in my previous post is playing out now (main stock market indexes "undercutting" their 200-day moving averages before finding a bottom).

While trading the S&P 500 i have seen that it is facing some resistance to the upwards swings and the traders are mostly interested in a short rally due to the weakening of the US data after NFP(n)

Re: My 2 cents on today's broad market price action

While trading the S&P 500 i have seen that it is facing some resistance to the upwards swings and the traders are mostly interested in a short rally due to the weakening of the US data after NFP(n)

Yes, that has been the case thus far...rallies are being anticipated by the short sellers. However, because the major indices are now testing major support of their 200-day moving averages, the stage has been set for a significant bottom to possibly form (as per my next post in a few minutes).

Thanks for your comments.

Is the stock market nearing a significant bottom? ($SPY, $QQQ, $IWM)

In my May 30 commentary (scroll back to see this post), I stated that the S&P 500 SPDR ($SPY) and PowerShares Nasdaq 100 ETF ($QQQ), two common ETF proxies for the broad market, would likely need to "undercut" support of their respective 200-day moving averages before a significant bottom and reversal of the current intermediate-term downtrend is likely to occur in either ETF. Typically, in order for the market to reverse from a steady downtrend, a massive "shakeout" move is needed to both eliminate any remaining market bulls and to get a disproportionate number of bears into the market. Only then do reversals typically occur.

Last Friday (June 1), SPY indeed closed below support of its 200-day MA, while QQQ closed just above its 200-day MA. The stage is now set for a significant "shakeout" move below this key mark on both ETFs, at which point SPY and QQQ may become positioned for a substanial reversal.

120604SPY.gif

120604QQQ.gif

In the May 9th, 14th, 17th and 30th editions of my swing trading newsletter, and also on several posts on this thread, I pointed out and analyzed the bearish "head and shoulders" pattern that was forming/had formed on the small-cap iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF ($IWM). On May 9th I stated, "if the Russell 2000 loses support of the neckline at 785, the predicted selloff would be to 720. We will be monitoring the Russell carefully, as its next test of the 785 mark could result in the loss of support and a significant move lower". On May 14th I commented that, "(a move by IWM) below Friday's low of $78.42 could result in a break of the neckline of the head and shoulders pattern. A drop below this key market would likely result in a quick move to the 200-day MA for IWM. On May 17th I stated that, "IWM did in fact breach its neckline and now appears headed for the 200-day MA. In all likelihood, IWM will find support at its 200-day MA. Typically, when the neckline of a "head and shoulders" pattern is broken, a subsequent bounce back up into resistance near the neckline will follow. This bounce generally results in another shorting opportunity." To refresh your mind, below is a chart of IWM from that day's commentary:

120517IWM.gif

The current chart of IWM (based on the June 1 close) shows the ETF is now within 2 points (less than 3%) of our originally predicted downside target for the head and shoulders pattern. Now that IWM has plunged below its nine-day low, this target may be reached quickly.

120604IWM.gif

I am now seeing the first signs of capitulation in the broad-based ETFs ($SPY, $QQQ, $DIA, $IWM, $MDY), as last Friday showed the worst point loss of the year for these ETFs. Capitulation, as I define it, is wholesale selling, with investors just throwing in the towel and wanting to get out of stocks and ETFs at any price. Contrary to what many beginning traders might assume, this is actually a good sign because capitulation usually creates a tradeable, intermediate-term bottom. These bottoms must be in for a market to stage a meaningful rally. Again, nothing is set in stone and we still may need several weeks of backing and filling in a range before the broad-based ETFs are ready to launch higher. Nevertheless, because of this, we are NOT looking to enter new ETF positions at this time because the reward to risk ratio is no longer in our favor. This is not the time to chase the market lower on the short side, and I have not yet received the proper signals to initiate new swing trades on the long side either. I am still in "SOH mode" (sitting on hands).