A Can of Worms . . .

twalker said:
When you start making money you will not give a t*ss what anyone else on here thinks. If people did not have different opinions then we wouldnt really have a market would we.

If people post on here it is because they like to- not because they are making money or not.
They do not like to be insulted and most of them do not deserve it.

Splitlink said:
If people post on here it is because they like to- not because they are making money or not.
They do not like to be insulted and most of them do not deserve it.
He is not being rude, Spitlink, he is just being hardboiled, because he is a professional, and cannot resist approaching all of this from a profssional viewpoint, with a niche of his own, and that's alright.

Otherwise I agree with you wholeheartedly.

You must not allow the really rude creatures to upset you either. When they appear, just fire off well aimed cannonballs, like I do. The more you practice this sort of gunnery, the more accurate the cannonballs, and the more enjoyable as well, to experience firing them and see them hit their targets creating a shower of splinters and a cloud of dust, etc.,

The thing is, the recipients of this ordnace, like it, because it is good tor them as well, you know.

SOCRATES said:
You must not allow the really rude creatures to upset you either. When they appear, just fire off well aimed cannonballs, like I do. The more you practice this sort of gunnery, the more accurate the cannonballs, and the more enjoyable as well, to experience firing them and see them hit their targets creating a shower of splinters and a cloud of dust, etc.,

The thing is, the recipients of this ordnace, like it, because it is good tor them as well, you know.

Just the sort of "professionalism" that makes the Yahoo message boards what they are.

--Db

Additionally, I have just remembered a gun at the bottom of my garden in a previous residence.

It had been at one time a prize of war perhaps, a French Naval Gun.

Emblazoned on it along the barrel in bas relief was an inscription that read :

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

SOCRATES said:
The thing is, the recipients of this ordnace, like it, because it is good tor them as well, you know
In which case, will you perhaps be considering taking some of your own medicine? Please.

SOCRATES said:
Additionally, I have just remembered a gun at the bottom of my garden in a previous residence.
Indeed. It is based at HM Navy Prison in Portsmouth.

Don't remember you though.

SOCRATES said:

It had been at one time a prize of war perhaps, a French Naval Gun.

Emblazoned on it along the barrel in bas relief was an inscription that read :

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

'Honi soit qui mal y pense' is the motto of the Order of the Garter and the inscription written thereon; also of the Grenadier Guards, and the Royal Montreal Regiment . Initiated by King Edward III there are romantic associations with it's origin, but the version I find to be more probable is that it related to his claim to the French throne, and it was written in French to needle the frogs (i.e. shame be to him who thought evil of his claim). An English gun, I think. The Grenadier Guards translate it as "Honour for us, evil upon our ill-wishers".
The trouble with cannons is that the barrel sometimes blew up in the firer's face.

TheBramble said:
In which case, will you perhaps be considering taking some of your own medicine? Please.
upsetting the top guru's again, eh? ;)

peto said:
'Honi soit qui mal y pense' is the motto of the Order of the Garter and the inscription written thereon; also of the Grenadier Guards, and the Royal Montreal Regiment . Initiated by King Edward III there are romantic associations with it's origin, but the version I find to be more probable is that it related to his claim to the French throne, and it was written in French to needle the frogs (i.e. shame be to him who thought evil of his claim). An English gun, I think. The Grenadier Guards translate it as "Honour for us, evil upon our ill-wishers".
The trouble with cannons is that the barrel sometimes blew up in the firer's face.

upsetting the top guru's again, eh? ;)

No, you are wrong.

(slur deleted by jump off)

It means "Punished Are Those Who Evil Think".

SOCRATES said:
No, you are wrong.

Many things are subject to the vagaries of interpretation, soc. Maybe the Guards are 'wrong' or their interpretation differs from your own (not that I doubt you are an accomplished scholar of medieval languages for one moment). That does not make me wrong.

SOCRATES said:
No, you are wrong.

Bertie, I can imagine how some may prefer your version - but the rest of the planet goes with 'Shame' rather than 'Punishment'.

What are your sources?

I'll understand (as will we all) should you prefer to remain silent on the issue.

Off with their garters

peto said:
Many things are subject to the vagaries of interpretation, soc. Maybe the Guards are 'wrong' or their interpretation differs from your own (not that I doubt you are an accomplished scholar of medieval languages for one moment). That does not make me wrong.

Well I prefer this version:

Honi soit qui mal y pense is the motto of the Order of the Garter. It's French for 'shamed be the person who thinks evil of it'. Supposedly, in the fourteenth century, Edward III was dancing with the Countess of Salisbury, and her garter fell off. In response to the snickers of those watching, Edward said "Honi soit qui mal y pense," and tied the garter around his own leg. The phrase then became the motto of the order, which Edward founded.

The Most Noble Order of the Garter is the oldest and most important of the orders of knighthood in Great Britain. Its head is the sovereign, and the garter (inscribed with the motto) thus appears on the royal arms of Great Britain. As a result, the phrase is sometimes erroneously described as "the motto of Great Britain" or something similar.

Charlton

peto said:
Yes it does. "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense" = "Punished Are Those Who Evil Think".

When I make any statement on these boards, you can be absolutely guaranteed it is correct.

Now, tomorrow morning, ring up the French Embassy in London and ask them, Cultural Section, just to make sure. OK ?

If what I tell you does not satisfy you perhaps what they will confirm to you will.

SOCRATES said:
No, you are wrong.

Bertie, I believe you are in contravention of published t2w site guidelines by attacking peto personally - as opposed to attacking an idea or claim.

See JumpOff's excellent summary of what is, and in your case, what is not, acceptable.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=230667&postcount=1180

I trust you will do the right thing and make suitable modification of your post.

Kind regards

Quite right, oh thorny one. It was mighty close to the cliff edge. I have taken the liberty of deleting the potentially offending phrase.
JO

SOCRATES said:

When I make any statement on these boards, you can be absolutely guaranteed it is correct.

Now, tomorrow morning, ring up the French Embassy in London and ask them, Cultural Section, just to make sure. OK ?

If what I tell you does not satisfy you perhaps what they will confirm to you will.
I hardly think the French Embassy are in a position to comment authoritatively on a pronouncement of an English Monarch.

Especially that particular Monarch and that particular pronouncement. :LOL:

You are far better to check any on-line resource and of course those sources which have stood the test of time and are accepted as being correct.

It is 'shame' or possibly 'evil' to he who evil thinks.

To tell someone who is ignorant of a fact and persists in insisting is perfectly acceptable, because to be patently ignorant is not an insult, it is a statement of fact.

To be ignorant is a normal state of being for everybody until they are given the correct information and then they cease to be so.

Otherwise all of us would be born knowing everything there is to know, without learning.

And that....is impossible.

SOCRATES said:

I gave you the interpretation of the Guards. They may be wrong but I am correct that that is their interpretation. You really must learn how to interpret English before you can guarantee that your statements are correct. I can only hope your interpretations of French are better.

SOCRATES said:
To tell someone who is ignorant of a fact and persists in insisting is perfectly acceptable, because to be patently ignorant is not an insult, it is a statement of fact.

To be ignorant is a normal state of being for everybody until they are given the correct information and then they cease to be so.

Otherwise all of us would be born knowing everything there is to know, without learning.

And that....is impossible.
Nice try Bertie, but not quite.

To address the factual correctness of peto's remark would be acceptable. Even if, as in your case, it is your own deluded opinion rather than fact.

To address a characteristic OF peto is not acceptable.

You addressed the personal characteristic - not the remark.