Essentials Of 'Trading Journals'

This is a discussion on Essentials Of 'Trading Journals' within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; I believe a trading journal is one of the most powerfull tools a trader can have. Most begginer traders have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 9, 2013, 4:24pm   #9
Joined Nov 2011
Re: Essentials Of 'Trading Journals'

I believe a trading journal is one of the most powerfull tools a trader can have. Most begginer traders have no idea what should be in or how to keep a trading journal. I wrote a blog of how I keep my journals so I can help others create theier own.
Review Trading: Trader Tools - Trading Journal - Tools
fercabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:30am   #10

3 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Journaling is essential! Thanks so much for these guidelines here as I think so many people just don't know what to write, how to set it or where to begin. That was one of my questions before I started my journal - what do I write?

For anyone that hasn't got a journal already - it really is essential - you won't know where you are going wrong or right for that matter - record your emotions too - for both the winners and losers. I noticed my fear around losing money was ridiculous and I documented it every time. It was a great way to review why I was changing my rules. I could see how much I was diverting away from them and started to change my ways.
SydneyFXTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 8:47am   #11

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Journalling is probably an individual thing. Each one of us will find value in our own unique way of journalling. I used to write a whole long report each day answering questions and following a journal method I picked up in a trading book. It did not work for me at all. So I built my own system. I use a simple spreadsheet to input each trade and with all the various bits of import data. The spreadsheet is for statistical purposes only. Then I take screenshots of the trading set ups I had for the day. I make notes on the screenshots, highlight key areas, write comments, thoughts etc. I then put the screenshots in a folder in Evernote. I have built up a great database of trading setups and lessons this way and it works for me. Each to their own.
Charge Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 9:39am   #12
Joined Jun 2012
I agree that a journal doesn't need to be more than a spreadsheet - but it's essential to have some track record of your performance and what you did. I'd be interested to know if you find time go through those old screenshots - and how helpful they are?
Mrs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 10:04am   #13

5 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
I go through them every day. Patterns and setups repeat themselves in the market. So by focusing on various types of setups that I previously traded I'm getting better at spotting the set-ups again in future and learning to trade them better. I'm a visual person so to prep for my trading day I look at my past trades (screenshots with notes), good & bad. I also replay the previous days action and how I traded it. The spreadsheets track my performance and the screenshots show how I actually traded. It's not going to work for everyone, but that's my point. Don't follow somebody elses method blindly, make it your own.
Charge Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017, 1:47am   #14

1 Posts
Joined May 2017
Thanks for sharing such information. It is really helpful for beginners in this field. It will be great if you could explain the difference between forex and binaryoption.
petersensignej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:01pm   #15

4 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
can i put a screenshot from MT4? more like "before" and "after" my Open trade get hit by value (such buy stop/sell limit)
adealien is offline   Reply With Quote