Vwap Engine

This is a discussion on Vwap Engine within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Here I will post buy sell signals genertated from my own VWAP ENGINE. It will be fully automated in a ...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:47pm   #1

Joined Aug 2005
Vwap Engine

Here I will post buy sell signals genertated from my own VWAP ENGINE. It will be fully automated in a few days' time and here is today's chart.

It produced a total of 3 trades today- of which 2 were winners - second trade ( a loss ) was due to programming glitch which had been corrected.

Essence of the engine is -

- Buy above VWAP
- Sellshort below VWAP

if cycles permitted.
Attached Thumbnails
090202_nqtrades.png  

Last edited by timsk; Nov 28, 2009 at 5:11pm.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:46pm   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Why are you buying above vwap and selling below as this is the opposite of how it is traditionally used ?

Paul
Old Feb 3, 2009, 2:25am   #3

Joined Aug 2005
leovirgo started this thread Paul, I do not consider a stock or a futures instrument as strong until and unless it is trended away from vwap. The birth of a trend takes place at or around vwap. The journey back to mean is not considered a trend. My Vwap Engine is in early stage and it is very promising. I thank Iraj(Grey1) everyday for his inspiring works. I'll be glad if my engine is half as good as his.
regards,..
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:53am   #4
Joined Nov 2004
Should be an interesting thread. A couple of questions - Assuming you are calculating VWAP for the session:

1. At what time do you consider VWAP to be useful eg after 10AM US EST ?

2. For something like the ES which trades almost 24 hours a day, are you calculating VWAP from the market open (9:30 AM US EST) or from earlier in the pre market ?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:44pm   #5

Joined Aug 2005
leovirgo started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraig1 View Post
Should be an interesting thread. A couple of questions - Assuming you are calculating VWAP for the session:

1. At what time do you consider VWAP to be useful eg after 10AM US EST ?

2. For something like the ES which trades almost 24 hours a day, are you calculating VWAP from the market open (9:30 AM US EST) or from earlier in the pre market ?
1. It can be useful even before market open such as big news days. But I am not taking any signals before 14:35 uk time. It depends on the set up really.

2. For ES, YM, NQ and YG I use continuous vwap. I haven't tested Market Hours Only Vwap and I don't think it could be reliable on strong news days.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:57pm   #6

Joined Aug 2005
leovirgo started this thread A profitable day but it could have been much better. I need to refine my engine for both entry and exit conditions.

1. First trade should have been exited at higher price due to $INDU 60minutes' bearishness. NQ itself was strong so I let it breath. Will see if Topdown approach still applies i.e, from $INDU to NQ

2. Missed early signal around 7pm uk time for another rally. Program entries for NQ were late and as a result had to give back small points. Pleased with the way it limited the downside though

all in all +5 pts. will work on the codes tonight...
Attached Thumbnails
090203_nqtrades.png  
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:06pm   #7

Joined Aug 2005
leovirgo started this thread Today's set up was a BUY day. VWAP engine was ready to buy but somehow it missed the big move up because of a clash between 10minute TF cycle and one of the smaller TF. It is exactly the same as yesterday's missed trade. It can be seen as a white bar among the green bars that all mean long.

Time < 1440
Another reason was the time - a signal at smaller TF happened at 14:37pm and I don't wanna take the signals before 14:40pm.

Strong NQ100
NQ was much stronger than $INDU and it reached all target lines. For me, no trades for today as the engine did not produce anymore signals. ( there were dark red bars which signalled Sellshort half-size but at this stage I am not taking that kind of reversal trades. )

To sum up, I am flat today hence no change in equity curve. And there were no extra trades .. that means I sticked to to discipline.

Wondering if I should re-jig codings to include this kind of trades.
Attached Thumbnails
090204nq100.jpg