Watch HowardCohodas Trade Index Options Credit Spreads

This is a discussion on Watch HowardCohodas Trade Index Options Credit Spreads within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; What's this about students?...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 25, 2010, 6:58pm   #11

Joined Jan 2007
Re: Watch HowardCohodas Trade Index Options Credit Spreads

What's this about students?
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:57pm   #12

Joined Sep 2010

HowardCohodas started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
What's this about students?
I covered this in other posts, but the only one I can count on to read all of my posts is me. This is a good place to repeat my situation and plans.

In the process of teaching friends and family (no charge, no income), I decided to prepare to teach this material commercially. In correspondence with the forum management about needing a vendor's badge, they decided that until I started my commercial adventure in this area, a badge was not required.

Furthermore, I am exploring advertising on this forum. If the cost fits into my advertising budget, it gives me a chance to provide funds to help support this free forum we all enjoy in return for attracting students.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)  
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:05pm   #13

Joined Jan 2007

I wouldn't mind attracting student, so long as they're under 21...
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:37pm   #14

Joined Jul 2008

Phil's still at uni...

Good luck Howard, nice to have something a bit different.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:22pm   #15

Joined Jun 2009

Question, maybe for the FAQ bit ?

Why or what are the benefits of trading credit spreads, condors or greeks and what not, as opposed being taught how to trade directional out rights ?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:21pm   #16

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinola View Post

Why or what are the benefits of trading credit spreads, condors or greeks and what not, as opposed being taught how to trade directional out rights ?
Did I address your concerns? FAQ
Thanks! The following members like this post: spinola
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:07am   #17

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
I wouldn't mind attracting student, so long as they're under 21...
For your case, they'd also have to be over 19
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:18am   #18

Joined May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinola View Post

Risk. Howard mentioned in his previous post that as an ex-Software Engineer, he's used to always being in control. Directional trading is far from that...you're simply betting the market will go in your direction - not exactly being in complete control.

As I understand it, credit spread trading as Howard is doing, is not like directional trading. He is simply hoping to pocket the spread.

He has effectively covered the downside risk but at the expense of a limited upside potential.

Howard, out of curiousity, what models did you use compute the probabilities on your dashboard? Sorry if you already covered this, I may have missed it!

Great thread by the way!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 2:34am   #19

Joined Dec 2009

Good luck with this Howard..

I have a few questions:

1 - You mentioned probability above. Can I confirm that you are using the option data to give you the probability of price hitting that point and not any additional analysis?

2 - What is the logic behind applying your strategy to 3 highly correlated markets?

I also have 1 request
1 - Could you add a few columns to the sheet - can you put in the fees - so we can see the total credit to the account after fees ? Could you also add in max risk ? I am guessing this comes from a spreadsheet & so the column should be easy to add. Whilst I don't think you need to be teaching people about spreads on here as per the A'rab - it would be nice if we didn't have to calculate risk & reward ourselves.

Cheers

DT

Last edited by DionysusToast; Nov 26, 2010 at 2:54am.
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor  
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:25am   #20

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1986 View Post
Howard, out of curiousity, what models did you use compute the probabilities on your dashboard? Sorry if you already covered this, I may have missed it!
Now FAQ #3.

Last edited by HowardCohodas; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:52am. Reason: Refer to not FAQ
Closed Thread