Trading with a view to join a prop firm

This is a discussion on Trading with a view to join a prop firm within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by DionysusToast Rought guidelines as every shop is different... If you want to go from SIM to live ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:52pm   #33
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Rought guidelines as every shop is different...

If you want to go from SIM to live in a prop firm - they will start you off with very small size. So, once you are live on 1-2 contracts...

They wont allow you to hold overnight positions.

If you go over $3-500 losses intraday, they'll stop you trading for the day.

Do that 3 times in a week and you are back to SIM.
Makes sense.
Thanks for the heads up.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:08pm   #34
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread I applied to Maverick Trading and almost immediately my spidey senses were tingling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I continued...what harm?
I was required to watch a 48 min video during the application process and I did attempt to do this immediately but I had to pop out. I had gotten to about minute 10 at this stage and by then I could sense something a little off. I actually had to skip a part of the video because they were wasting my time talking about their tinder profiles and driving while taking selfies... I know right...wtf has this got to do with trading. I was in a bad mood this morning, so maybe that's the only reason I got the hump over that but still...get on with it

In hindsight I probably should have just moved on there, haha.
When I got home I had an email from them saying that my application was received and that I was required to finish the video. Reasonable request. Throughout the whole process it was made abundantly clear that I had to pass a few week training/education period and prove that I possessed the ability to move to firm capital. Again, reasonable. They went into grand depth about how good their guidance was during this education period and beyond. I still felt something was off and I was waiting for it to pop up...and it did!

It wasn't until toward the end of the video that it shot up. Once I have passed their fantastic educational period (of a few weeks) I then develop my strategy/s and prove it. Once I prove a profitable strategy then I move to level one live capital of €25,000. But there's the catch...I have to deposit 5k and then they will add the 20k

Pwahaha... I immediately stopped the video (when I finished laughing) and emailed them back, stating that I saw their video and was no longer interested.

Maybe this is how it is...but they won't be getting my money or ability
I knew I smelled a rat!

If their education is so great at ensuring I am going to be a profitable trader, then why do I have to put up 5k of my own money?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:16pm   #35
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread I just found this now
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...RVW7178589.htm

PS: I realise that it would be smart to do a check up on these places first. I just didnt this time

Last edited by Nowler; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:23pm.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:41am   #36

Joined Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
I applied to Maverick Trading and almost immediately my spidey senses were tingling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I continued...what harm?
I was required to watch a 48 min video during the application process and I did attempt to do this immediately but I had to pop out. I had gotten to about minute 10 at this stage and by then I could sense something a little off. I actually had to skip a part of the video because they were wasting my time talking about their tinder profiles and driving while taking selfies... I know right...wtf has this got to do with trading. I was in a bad mood this morning, so maybe that's the only reason I got the hump over that but still...get on with it

In hindsight I probably should have just moved on there, haha.
When I got home I had an email from them saying that my application was received and that I was required to finish the video. Reasonable request. Throughout the whole process it was made abundantly clear that I had to pass a few week training/education period and prove that I possessed the ability to move to firm capital. Again, reasonable. They went into grand depth about how good their guidance was during this education period and beyond. I still felt something was off and I was waiting for it to pop up...and it did!

It wasn't until toward the end of the video that it shot up. Once I have passed their fantastic educational period (of a few weeks) I then develop my strategy/s and prove it. Once I prove a profitable strategy then I move to level one live capital of €25,000. But there's the catch...I have to deposit 5k and then they will add the 20k

Pwahaha... I immediately stopped the video (when I finished laughing) and emailed them back, stating that I saw their video and was no longer interested.

Maybe this is how it is...but they won't be getting my money or ability
I knew I smelled a rat!

If their education is so great at ensuring I am going to be a profitable trader, then why do I have to put up 5k of my own money?
That's not a prop firm.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:48pm   #37

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
That's not a prop firm.
Looks like a complete scam...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:14pm   #38
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Looks like a complete scam...
Sounds and smells like it too.

I was warned about this sort of stuff though, and I can usually smell BS a mile off! ...usually...

All my Irish eggs are in the basket of the legit looking firm I applied to. I won't be applying to any more Irish firms. I am doing some homework on the lads at this legit looking firm. I know who the 3 owners are, I know that they took over Saxon and then rebranded and moved away from Saxons failed attempt at going full algo. I know I know the educational history of one of them, I know a non-work related passion for another one of them...just need to look a bit deeper into the last 2 guys so I can tailor my interview. I know roughly how much the firm made since '08 and prior to this year. I have an idea of where they want to be in 5-10 years after reading some interviews with them. Thankfully my attitude and work ethic fit perfectly with what I am perceiving from them.

It's been said that we should be doing our homework on our markets, gathering as much info as possible in order to make the best informed decision. I am treating this potential interview like a trade. I want to be as informed about them as possible and then I'll execute the "trade" to the best of my ability.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:29pm   #39
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Saw a Tweet earlier from this prop firm i've applied to, stating that interviews have commenced and that C.V's can still be submitted. About an hour later I got a phone call from an American number...I thought it might be one of the main fellas (he's a yank)...it was some clown from Ninja Trader asking if I was OK with the setup of the Futures demo I downloaded yesterday... You could almost hear me deflating haha

The suspense is killing me...which today I realised is something that I should be OK with considering I am attempting to be a trader. Me sitting around wondering when/if I am going to get this call from them reminds me of my first 2 months of trading. Watching each twitch on a trade

I am going to put the wheels in motion for my move to the UK. I am not going to wait around on this crowd. If they contact me in time then good but if not, their loss (and mine too unfortunately). I probably won't actually leave until January but I need to find an area to move to. I snagged a few hours in a bar tonight. Once I get a few more shifts under my belt then that's something I can do in the beginning when I move.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:17pm   #40
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
Hey Nowler
What are you looking to get out of this?
FXX is offline   Reply With Quote