Trading with a view to join a prop firm

This is a discussion on Trading with a view to join a prop firm within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by DT You said you wanted the training a prop firm would offer - I'd say that these ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:12pm   #61
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
You said you wanted the training a prop firm would offer - I'd say that these arcades/prop firms generally don't offer a great deal in the way of training and that what they do offer in the most part you could probably get relatively cheaply from a program such as that offered by the firm I linked to (while I'll emphasise again that I'd be skeptical about the firm overall I do think that if you're starting from basically almost 0 experience then perhaps it could be $100 well spent)

You're just taking punts with some bucket shop at the moment? No interaction with an actual exchange - you don't get to see any liquidity/the order book is just a two way quote provided by the bucket shop you have an account with?

That sort of thing doesn't lend itself very well to the sort of intraday trading these firms/arcades do.

I'll also need to add in again that this sort of intraday trading isn't very likely to work out for you, you're very likely to not be able to make money from this...
I may have misunderstood your previous post a little.

I'll have a look at the link shortly and see if I would be willing to invest €100 in their training. I am doing a free course which I find very useful so after this I may test the other one out since it is just €100. People have spent more on less

Yes, I am spread betting with a bucket shop (Oanda) at the moment but that's just where I landed. I have already put some work into looking around at Options and Futures. Spread betting just happens to be where I began to learn my craft.

I am restricted by capital so have to make do with what I have at my disposal. When I am happy that I am ready to move from a mini live account then I will be willing to deposit more money. So far, I have not found any futures brokers willing to let me play with as little as Oanda does. A friend of mine opened an account for €5...I €20.

If you can point me in the direction of a futures broker that's willing to let me in for that, then that would be great.
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Nowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:17pm   #62
DT
Joined Sep 2003
nope I can't sorry, even if you could open an account at a futures broker for $20 you couldn't trade anything

have you had a look at Betfair? If you're on a budget then that might be an option, at least you'll have an order book (and an API) to play around with and can start to learn about market microstructure etc..
DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:40pm   #63
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
nope I can't sorry, even if you could open an account at a futures broker for $20 you couldn't trade anything

have you had a look at Betfair? If you're on a budget then that might be an option, at least you'll have an order book (and an API) to play around with and can start to learn about market microstructure etc..
I don't share your pessimism.
Of course I am not disputing that most people who attempt to trade the markets will fail, but from the work I have put in over the last 6 or more months I am optimistic enough to continue. Of course spread betting is not my goal, but I have to start somewhere... My risk/money management is good so even if I can't make spreadbetting work, I will at least keep my shirt and my dignity.

If I cannot make that work to build enough capital to make the next step away from spread betting then I'll reevaluate. But for the moment I am enjoying learning and trading fx with a mini spread account. It's keeping me stimulated and amused while I continue learning more about economics and the psychology involved, so at the very least, it'll will have to do until I can raise the capital needed, via trading or saving...
We'll see I guess, I'll proceed with caution.

I actually did come across something about cold trading on horse racing and whatnot! I wrote it down so that i'd come back to it but I just got consumed by the amount of work that goes into learning how to trade. That type of trading sounds kinda wacky... but I'm going to do a bit of reading on it now.
Education is the passport to the future! He who prepares today, owns tomorrow! But remember, Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:06pm   #64
DT
Joined Sep 2003
it isn't pessimism, just being realistic
DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:01pm   #65
Joined Jul 2010
Seriously, why are you looking at FX when bitcoin and other cryptos are moving?
Trading Spaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:53pm   #66
Joined Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading Spaces View Post
Are you in bitcoin and what are your targets?
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:45pm   #67
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
it isn't pessimism, just being realistic
Well yeah, it's unlikely that any new trader will ever be profitable but I am trying to remain optimistic while I plough through all this learning. I know that you were just highlighting the task at hand, but I have no shortage of people reminding me how unlikely I am to make anything of this.

What I have is all I have.
All I can do is continue learning...if that means being proved that I can't make money from spread betting forex, well then so be it. All I can do is keep looking for evidence. So far, I seem to be able to make money. My issue is stemming my losses.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:47pm   #68
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
Because I have no interest in risking money on them
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:42pm   #69
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
Because I have no interest in risking money on them
So you want to risk money in a market controlled by a central bank Where breakouts fail?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:59pm   #70
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
So you want to risk money in a market controlled by a central bank Where breakouts fail?
Please go sell Crypto to someone else.
I don't care about it.

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:18pm   #71
Joined Sep 2010
Quote:
How come you didn't answer my question?

I made a topic on Bitcoin, it sounds like you're trading it so I was just curious what your thoughts were?
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:28pm   #72

Joined Nov 2003
Betfair's not a bad suggestion actually. Can open an acc with peanuts and use Geekstoy free for a month. Will give you an idea of how the market actually works, can bid n offer, see depth etc. Nice environment to dip your toe and learn how to work an order and really manage your shiz with a spot of risk.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:58pm   #73
Joined Sep 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Betfair's not a bad suggestion actually. Can open an acc with peanuts and use Geekstoy free for a month. Will give you an idea of how the market actually works, can bid n offer, see depth etc. Nice environment to dip your toe and learn how to work an order and really manage your shiz with a spot of risk.
Yeah, it's certainly an interesting one!
I did a bit of reading on it last night but realistically, what could I learn in an hour of reading.

I might dabble in it a bit later... just for the sake of actually laying eyes on it in progress. Might even find a few youtube videos of it in action!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:39pm   #74
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
Please go sell Crypto to someone else.
I don't care about it.

Thanks
So you are not interested in the biggest move in a public market in human history?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:41pm   #75
Joined Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
Are you in bitcoin and what are your targets?
Bitcoin is like gold marks in Weimar Germany, this could be as big. See chart attached,
Attached Thumbnails
germanyhyperchart.jpg