Technical analysis... a load of ********

This is a discussion on Technical analysis... a load of ******** within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; I use RSI, Stochastics, Moving Averages, MACD and Fibonacci Retracements. Someone I know who has worked in investment banking and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:10am   #1

Joined Jul 2007
Technical analysis... a load of ********

I use RSI, Stochastics, Moving Averages, MACD and Fibonacci Retracements. Someone I know who has worked in investment banking and heads up a team of traders said that all these methods and the shapes were "a load of ********"; that the real price is the current price; that up and down movement is completely random.

Any thoughts? It seems to work for me, which has made me confused a bit.
Thanks! The following members like this post: mr.marcus
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:24am   #2
Joined Aug 2006
what does he say to the traders he heads?
alright lads you know its all random lets press a couple of buttons for no purpose whatsover go home and do the same again tommorrow
tightstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: zupcon
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:41am   #3

Joined Jul 2007
shadowninja started this thread

He mentioned hedging but I don't really understand it so can't relay the info.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:46am   #4
Joined Aug 2006
cant much point in hedging a trade with no edge with another trade with no edge.
must be some kind of arb operation
tightstops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:21pm   #5

Joined Oct 2006
It's quite possible that if you're trading market neutral strategies such as calendar spreads you may not need so many indicators.

If you're dealing in millions you can move the market.

I've seen far to many price patterns such as triangles, fib level rejections to dismiss them as random, or patterns in certain indicators which can actually forecast price movement.

"The trend is your friend and divergences are your best friend until the bend at the end"

Party on like it's 1930, until Mr C (Wave) gatecrashes the party.
fibonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:23pm   #6
Joined Dec 2002
All TA works some of the time, and at other times it does not. The trick is to have wins outnumber losses, if not in % of trades terms, then in bottom line profit.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:09pm   #7

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
I use RSI, Stochastics, Moving Averages, MACD and Fibonacci Retracements. Someone I know who has worked in investment banking and heads up a team of traders said that all these methods and the shapes were "a load of ********"; that the real price is the current price; that up and down movement is completely random.

Any thoughts? It seems to work for me, which has made me confused a bit.
If whatever you're doing works for you, then it doesn't make a bit of difference what anybody else says.

Listen to the chart and tune out everything else and everyone else.

Db
Old Aug 9, 2007, 4:26pm   #8

Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post

that the real price is the current price; that up and down movement is completely random.