Wot Happens Next?

This is a discussion on Wot Happens Next? within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; It's been a few years since the last Wot Happened Next series so thought I'd start another with slightly different ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 29, 2017, 11:26am   #1

Joined May 2003
Wot Happens Next?

It's been a few years since the last Wot Happened Next series so thought I'd start another with slightly different twist. Changed "happened" to "happens" so we're looking forward. Interested in how TA might be used as a tool for trading (NOT as a predictor).

So, here we go. The instrument is Diageo (DGE). You will see from the weekly chart that price has made four failed attempts to close above the March high and has now done so. Also you will see from the daily chart that it has also closed above the earlier daily high closes although it has not challenged the intraday high reached on 17/5

How, then, would you plan to trade it?
Attached Thumbnails
108p.png   daily.png  
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 11:56am   #2
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Sell in May and go away?

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: barjon
Old May 29, 2017, 12:09pm   #3
Joined Apr 2017
sell the 1800 put two months to expiry buy 1600 1 month to expiry

something like that
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 12:27pm   #4
Joined Feb 2002
Its a Buy. Although its a dull chart in a dull index.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 12:31pm   #5

Joined Sep 2001
For me there is no contextual info.
What is the FTSE doing and what is the sector doing, will the Corbyn creature come to power and when are company results?
Just to mention a few of the main influences.
Direction is not as clear as other trading instruments so why choose this one to trade I would ask myself.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is online now Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 2:14pm   #6

Joined Nov 2009
Its in an uptrend, a continuation breakout with a price objective only to 2500 (according to P&F)
thats because the real breakout should have been taken much earlier when the trend actually resumed some 100 points below
I wouldn't be taking this trade only in that its late..

assuming I was still in the trade, I'd be considering taking some profit at the P&F target, and moving my stop to 2170, slightly below the last higher low and trailing the stop accordingly based on higher low
Attached Thumbnails
dge.jpg  

Last edited by malaguti; May 29, 2017 at 3:59pm.
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 2:21pm   #7
Joined Apr 2017
see buy it with a stop below 2275 , if u like trading like this .
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017, 4:27pm   #8

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
It's been a few years since the last Wot Happened Next series so thought I'd start another with slightly different twist. Changed "happened" to "happens" so we're looking forward. Interested in how TA might be used as a tool for trading (NOT as a predictor).

So, here we go. The instrument is Diageo (DGE). You will see from the weekly chart that price has made four failed attempts to close above the March high and has now done so. Also you will see from the daily chart that it has also closed above the earlier daily high closes although it has not challenged the intraday high reached on 17/5

How, then, would you plan to trade it?
I don't know that "failed" is the right word. If one includes volume, he can see that buyers have supported this stock for three months though they have withdrawn their buying interest at each apparent attempt at a new high. This suggests accumulation, though there are many reasons why they might abandon the effort without notice: economic, corporate, etc. Which is a chief reason why buying a breakout carries more risk than buying the retracement.