Microsoft Office "Account error" BS

This is a discussion on Microsoft Office "Account error" BS within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Its just now 12mths since I got this PC. In top right corner of Office files I now have a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:35pm   #1
Joined Feb 2002
Microsoft Office "Account error" BS

Its just now 12mths since I got this PC.

In top right corner of Office files I now have a little yellow warning triangle which says my name and clicking on it shows - "Account error. Sorry, we can't get to your account right now. To fix this please sign in again."

Everything's working OK it seems so why would I need to do this? What happens if I don't?

Cheers.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:14pm   #2
Joined Sep 2010
I have literally no idea.

You're welcome
brewski1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:30pm   #3
Joined Feb 2002
tomorton started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
I have literally no idea.

You're welcome

Well cheers for that brewski, that's helping me narrow down the T2W members who might have an idea about this. Admittedly, this process might take about 20 years, but I think on a long journey even the small steps count.

Meantime, Word, Excel etc,. are working fine but there's now a new flash that comes up when I open them saying the subscription has now expired and to continue working without interruption I need to buy or renew this Office thing. Why should I? Anyone?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:56pm   #4

Joined Mar 2014
Did you get a 12 month trial with MS Word, Excel etc. that has now expired? There are plenty of free alternatives to these programs (or should I say Apps ) Does it have to be Microsoft? Take a look at LibreOffice http://www.techradar.com/reviews/libreoffice
cbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:57pm   #5

Joined Feb 2012
Looks like it could be a registry issue Tom..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...later-error-wh
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:03pm   #6
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrads View Post
Did you get a 12 month trial with MS Word, Excel etc. that has now expired? There are plenty of free alternatives to these programs (or should I say Apps ) Does it have to be Microsoft? Take a look at LibreOffice http://www.techradar.com/reviews/libreoffice

I dunno. I bought the PC from Currys PC World and they loaded all the basic software. Maybe I need to dig out the bumph they gave me. Have to get in the loft.

Does this stuff keep working if I don't renew?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:08pm   #7

Joined Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
I dunno. I bought the PC from Currys PC World and they loaded all the basic software. Maybe I need to dig out the bumph they gave me. Have to get in the loft.

Does this stuff keep working if I don't renew?
I'm not sure Tom, but increasingly, software seems to be subscription based. For eg. I pay Adobe £10/month for Lightroom and Photoshop
cbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:23pm   #8

Joined Jun 2016
It's probably easier to cure the problem than to actually find out the cause (as someone's already said probably registry related).

You might cure problem by doing a Windows "restore point" – sometimes works. Otherwise:

If it's causing bother then do the following, otherwise you can live with it.
1. make sure you have a backup of all your work.
2. uninstall the program with a decent uninstaller program e.g. Revo Uninstaller (free edition is perfectly sufficient) – that will automatically do the Windows uninstall and then do the business in the registry and with leftover files also.
3. reinstall the program.

You should now be okay.

If none of that works and it's starting to get to you, try putting a brick through the monitor screen. It won't cure the problem but you might feel a lot better!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:28pm   #9
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
It's probably easier to cure the problem than to actually find out the cause (as someone's already said probably registry related).

You might cure problem by doing a Windows "restore point" – sometimes works. Otherwise:

If it's causing bother then do the following, otherwise you can live with it.
1. make sure you have a backup of all your work.
2. uninstall the program with a decent uninstaller program e.g. Revo Uninstaller (free edition is perfectly sufficient) – that will automatically do the Windows uninstall and then do the business in the registry and with leftover files also.
3. reinstall the program.

You should now be okay.

If none of that works and it's starting to get to you, try putting a brick through the monitor screen. It won't cure the problem but you might feel a lot better!

Thanks for this. I have used restore points on other systems so I understand that. But I'm not going near registries or anything, but thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:37pm   #10

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Thanks for this. I have used restore points on other systems so I understand that. But I'm not going near registries or anything, but thanks.
In that case I suggest you just do a reinstall via the option in the Windows Control Panel. With most Microsoft programs there is an option to "repair" and that may well do the trick. No need to go near the registry (bit like daytrading – you really do need to know what you're doing!).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:44am   #11
Joined Mar 2015
https://products.office.com/en-us/co...products?tab=1

Apparently you received 12 months free of charge.

Quote:
Its just now 12mths since I got this PC.

In top right corner of Office files I now have a little yellow warning triangle which says my name and clicking on it shows - "Account error. Sorry, we can't get to your account right now. To fix this please sign in again."

Everything's working OK it seems so why would I need to do this? What happens if I don't?

Cheers.
userque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28am   #12
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by userque View Post
https://products.office.com/en-us/co...products?tab=1

Apparently you received 12 months free of charge.

Looks like I had forgotten this when I picked up the PC with this pre-loaded software.

Everything still works, everything still saves and so on; I suppose I'm just not going to be sent updates to Word, Excel etc. Hopefully nothing catastrophic happens
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:00pm   #13

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Looks like I had forgotten this when I picked up the PC with this pre-loaded software.

Everything still works, everything still saves and so on; I suppose I'm just not going to be sent updates to Word, Excel etc. Hopefully nothing catastrophic happens
I'd double check that. Depending on exactly what deal you got with what package, you may find out that your functionality is affected if you don't cough up the sub in a specified time limit.

I had exactly this with a shiny new laptop I got for my daughter to go to uni with and this year and she ended up buying Office on ebay (completely legit) for a few quid.

FWIW, I use Libre Office a lot across W10 and Linux - it's pretty good IMO.

...and the brick method is indeed very satisfying (for laptops and tablets, I tend toward the frisbee technique myself) but preferably done at your chosen upgrade moment.

My secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQG1K_9Nvvk
cantagril is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:08pm   #14

Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantagril View Post
I'd double check that. Depending on exactly what deal you got with what package, you may find out that your functionality is affected if you don't cough up the sub in a specified time limit.

I had exactly this with a shiny new laptop I got for my daughter to go to uni with and this year and she ended up buying Office on ebay (completely legit) for a few quid.

FWIW, I use Libre Office a lot across W10 and Linux - it's pretty good IMO.

...and the brick method is indeed very satisfying (for laptops and tablets, I tend toward the frisbee technique myself) but preferably done at your chosen upgrade moment.
I second that. Although I still use Office 2007 (no need to update unless you have some very Geeky requirements) Libre Office is a very useful standby - and you can't beat it on price!