Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL

This is a discussion on Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by Steve.Newton Hi All, as an IT guy I wouldn't recommend buying comlex router configs. Cloud based is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:23pm   #8

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.Newton View Post
Hi All, as an IT guy I wouldn't recommend buying comlex router configs. Cloud based is the way to go and prices are coming down. Get yourself a VPS and let the IT guys worry about it being up and running under an SLA.

If you insist on doing somethng at home then yes, you could do a NIC teaming on a server or do some complex router config that will take you weeks to work out, or you could stick to the basics and solve what you originally asked. There are plenty of uptime monitors online which will ping your service and drop an email if not there for x attempts but you will need to ensure you have a fixed IP which typically costs money in the UK.

VPS is very much the way to go for retail traders.... You want to spend your time Trading not becoming an IT professional...
that doesn't solve the issue of redundant internet connectivity. If operating system uptime is a concern he would be better off financially doing it through virtualisation than using a vps. the solution for the op is dual internet providers
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:02pm   #9

8 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Re: Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL

J123 started this thread Thanks guys, for all your input. Yes, I'm using MultiCharts which I can only run on one PC at one time. I'm running API automated execution on forex, but need MC on my local machine for other discretionary trading (charting), so it looks like a backup ADSL router, plus email alert incase both go down is the solution. Longer term I will work towards multi licence / cloud VPS. Thanks again!
J123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:54pm   #10
Joined Aug 2010

Have you actually thought about what you are asking? If your ADSL goes off where exactly is the email meant to be sent from? No ADSL means no internet, means no email. Also a backup ADSL may not be much use since the most common reasons for ADSL outage would be exchange/provider level which means it wouldnt really matter how many routers you have, in all probability none of them would work.

The proper way way to deal with this is as has been suggested a vps or hosted server solution. Its also a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the other solutions that would offer the same level of protection.
Mata Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:21pm   #11
Joined Aug 2010

Something is going odd with this thread. Replies seem to be vanishing. Anyway. My reply might have been a bit cheeky but the point is still valid. You wont find an off the shelf solution that will allow you to monitor one adsl connection from another. Of course it can be done. You can ping router 1 from router 2, if it gets a reply chances are everything is OK. If it doesnt you can ping a known address (google maybe) to confirm that its not router 2 that is down. All this can easily be automated to enable an email to be sent if router 1 appears offline.

The caveats are that both routers would need to use different ISPs and be in different geographical locations (not on the same exchange). Either way vps will be a lot cheaper
Mata Nui is offline   Reply With Quote