How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

This is a discussion on How To Make Money Trading The Markets. within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; I thought there was some law in equities that you couldn't short on an uptick....???? It used to be the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:56am   #91
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Quote:
I thought there was some law in equities that you couldn't short on an uptick....????
It used to be the case that you could ONLY short on an uptick and not as you have stated which is the exact opposite. This is no longer the case and there is no uptick rule any more.

This is the second time this has come up in this thread and a reply was given to johnnyonspot who first mentioned it.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:06pm   #92
Joined Nov 2007
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:25am   #93
Joined Sep 2003
Lots of threads around that short selling in the US has now been banned.
Does this affect you?
keano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:18pm   #94

Joined Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
Lots of threads around that short selling in the US has now been banned.
Does this affect you?
I don't think its really banned. There's just a limitation added to it. I don't think it would affect daytraders. You can check out the details here: Press Release: SEC Issues New Rules to Protect Investors Against Naked Short Selling Abuses; 2008-204; Sept. 17, 2008
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:28pm   #95

Joined Jul 2008
Okay, here's a list of financial stocks that cannot be short effective immediately thru 10/02 unless further extended.

http://www.sec.gov/rules/other/2008/34-58592.pdf
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:28pm   #96

Joined Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ely37 View Post
Okay, here's a list of financial stocks that cannot be short effective immediately thru 10/02 unless further extended.

http://www.sec.gov/rules/other/2008/34-58592.pdf
Thanks, that was very useful
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:45am   #97
Joined Sep 2008
some very good tips in here, thanks!
barrychucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:33pm   #98

Joined Oct 2007
I'm sure in the uk you can still short stocks like man group or III ICAP etc and i'm sure there must be other financial stocks around the world to short as Richard has shown ( Thanks for your time) there are plenty of stocks to trade every day....
foredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 6:48pm   #99
Joined Sep 2008
thanks for the info
spreadbetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:57pm   #100

Joined Jan 2004
is this thread dead? Mr.Charts hasn't posted here for 2 weeks or so.
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:12pm   #101
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendie View Post
is this thread dead? Mr.Charts hasn't posted here for 2 weeks or so.
Hi trendie,
First and foremost, Richard is a trader. He gives his time freely on T2W to help members who aren't as far down the trading road as he is, whereas, most of us participate on these boards in order to learn from Richard and the handful of other members who really know their stuff. (obviously, you're in the former category trendie ) Unsurprisingly, Richard gets pretty hacked off when - having put much time and effort into a thread like this - people start to question his motives with insinuating and insulting e-mails and PM's. As anyone who trades full time will testify, trading is an absorbing and demanding profession. Anything 'left in the tank' at the end of the day is best spent on family and leisure interests, rather than responding to petty minded people who stir up the emotions and drain one's resources. It is for this reason - and not for the first time - that Richard has decided to put this thread and T2W - on the shelf for the time being. Perhaps, if we continue to post to the thread with our trades, he may be tempted to return . . .
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 2:16pm   #102

Joined Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi trendie,
First and foremost, Richard is a trader. He gives his time freely on T2W to help members who aren't as far down the trading road as he is, whereas, most of us participate on these boards in order to learn from Richard and the handful of other members who really know their stuff. (obviously, you're in the former category trendie ) Unsurprisingly, Richard gets pretty hacked off when - having put much time and effort into a thread like this - people start to question his motives with insinuating and insulting e-mails and PM's. As anyone who trades full time will testify, trading is an absorbing and demanding profession. Anything 'left in the tank' at the end of the day is best spent on family and leisure interests, rather than responding to petty minded people who stir up the emotions and drain one's resources. It is for this reason - and not for the first time - that Richard has decided to put this thread and T2W - on the shelf for the time being. Perhaps, if we continue to post to the thread with our trades, he may be tempted to return . . .
Tim.
didnt realise this was the reason. I tend to "tune out" the garbage, so I only focus on his trades/posts.

shame if he has stopped posting. his threads are ones I like to catch up on.
# Defeat is temporary. Giving up makes it permanent. Anon
trendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:19pm   #103
Joined Jun 2005
I have great respect for Mr Charts and other traders like him who give up their time to help part time traders like myself with support and strategies.Hope he comes back soon.
Peter
deepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 7:35pm   #104

Joined Mar 2002
Hi Peter,
Mr. Charts is disinclined to continue with the thread for the reasons given in my last post. However, there's no reason why you (or anyone else) can't post trades based on the ideas presented thus far. Essentially, it's a very simple trend trading technique. That is to say, Richard makes it look easy! Therein lies the rub. Personally, I really struggle with it; I've lost count of the times I've sold the L.o.D. and bought the H.o.D. In a slightly perverse way, I'm faintly proud of the fact that I once managed to buy the exact high and sell the exact low of the same stock on the same day. I can't imagine what the odds are against doing that!
Cheers,
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 9:03pm   #105

Joined Jul 2008
Hi Tim,

I take it that you weren't too successful with this trending strategy? It looks simple enough, but it still seems like a 50/50 chance to me. L2 might give some insights, but I don't know if it would help that much. Perhaps the trending was going for too long before you jump in? Or were you having second thoughts and made you take longer to pull the trigger? I know I have that issue. Doubting myself, only to see that my guess is accurate, jump it and BAM! I get taken.

Oh well, live and learn.