How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

This is a discussion on How To Make Money Trading The Markets. within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; It certainly works to some extent on some other trading instruments but I can't tell you how well it works ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:19pm   #916

Joined Sep 2001
Re: How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

Mr. Charts started this thread It certainly works to some extent on some other trading instruments but I can't tell you how well it works on different bourses as I don't trade them.
I used to trade the LSE and it worked fairly well there, but far better on NYSE and Nasdaq.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:23pm   #917

Joined Sep 2001

Mr. Charts started this thread Quite a few trades today and 5 of them were using this particular method.
Results were:
+20c
+32c
+35c
- 5c
- 6c

Here's the 35c one. The entry was obviously rather later than ideal, but I was busy trading other opportunities earlier.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
250210sre.gif  

T2W interview

Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:38pm   #918

Joined Sep 2001

Mr. Charts started this thread Maybe some people might find it interesting to go off at a tangent sometimes, so here goes.
Would anyone like to explain what the hammer at the extreme right means?
No answer, right or wrong will be laughed at by me.
Go on, have a go.
Richard
Attached Thumbnails
250210special-1.gif  

T2W interview

Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:44pm   #919

Joined Sep 2001

Mr. Charts started this thread Oh, and there will be no wooly, obfuscating or denigrating answer given by me to anybody's genuine ideas. The explanation will be precise and clear, unless someone gives a better answer before me.
Richard

T2W interview

Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:58pm   #920
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charts View Post
Evenin' Richard,
It doesn't look like a volume blow off because - errr - there's no volume. Well, nothing special at least and then there's the minor detail of the spike pointing down rather than up! It could just be a trader having a bad day - fat finger syndrome? I wondered about a block trade going through as it's just into the US lunchtime session, but I would have thought the volume would be bigger if this was the case? That leaves rogue data which I assume is the wrong answer because you wouldn't tease us with a trick question like that - would you?

Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:08pm   #921

Joined Sep 2001

Mr. Charts started this thread Good evening, Tim,
Me tease anybody? How could you suggest such a thing?
No, it's a genuine question and who knows, some might find the answers illuminating, though others will already know.
Thank you for setting the ball rolling with your ideas. Let's see if anybody else wishes to stick their head above the ramparts. They are not going to be shot at by me !
This thread is meant to be helpful
Take care,
Richard

T2W interview

Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:48pm   #922
Joined Jun 2004

Maybe stop hunting by a MM?

Dom
Dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:09am   #923

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Maybe some people might find it interesting to go off at a tangent sometimes, so here goes.
Go on, have a go.
Richard
Well - without looking at Time & Sales ('cause I can't see ze symbol) it is hard to tell but I would say that it appears to be entirely possible that most of the action on the bar was at the $21.60-ish level but that a single trade at $21.30-ish created what on the surface appears to be a pin/bar.

I would say that this is NOT the price dropping to $21.30 and a bunch of buyers rushing in to push the price back up.

Like I say - hard to tell with out T&S though.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:10am   #924

Joined May 2009

I was also going to suggest something similar to Tim - the possibility of a block trade. However, the candle spiked down to a low where there was significant support on the previous retracement, so I would have to say it was a placement of a limit order gone wrong

In other words, someone may have decided to place a limit buy order at that price since there was support there, however, they may have initiated a limit sell order accidentally at that price, which immediately got executed because it was lower than the inside ask at the time.

Quote:
Maybe some people might find it interesting to go off at a tangent sometimes, so here goes.
Go on, have a go.
Richard
amit1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:17am   #925
Joined Jan 2004

something to do with a big print going off at the low of that bar, creating a split second 'spike'?
morgan_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:54am   #926

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1 View Post
Maybe stop hunting by a MM?
Dom

I don't believe that MMs can do that. Sure, they will wiggle the price around in quiet times to find interest which could also be stops.

The buyer/seller with the best bid, always gets the trade, an MM can be buyer/seller when they are best bid. In the abscence of other players, their own bids/asks have to be 'reasonable' (which is a vague concept).

So - in this case, the prescence of other bids would prevent the MM from spiking the price like that and more than likely, so would the rule of them providing a reasonable bid of last resort.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:29am   #927
Joined Jun 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Dom

I don't believe that MMs can do that. Sure, they will wiggle the price around in quiet times to find interest which could also be stops.

The buyer/seller with the best bid, always gets the trade, an MM can be buyer/seller when they are best bid. In the abscence of other players, their own bids/asks have to be 'reasonable' (which is a vague concept).

So - in this case, the prescence of other bids would prevent the MM from spiking the price like that and more than likely, so would the rule of them providing a reasonable bid of last resort.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here.
You may be right. So maybe a broker is stop hunting?
Dom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:50am   #928

3 Posts
Joined Jan 2008

It can just be a data feed error...
tigretoncio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:54am   #929

Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom1 View Post
You may be right. So maybe a broker is stop hunting?
I doubt it, no-one can spike the price like that without dumping stock and absorbing all of the bids.

These people can't just put the price where they want it.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:48pm   #930

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro01 View Post
All

I found this method requires fast fingers if you have a few positions on at a time, so here's an ELD.

Idea is that you put this strategy on a chart window but disable it. When you are ready to buy, just enable the strategy and it will instantly buy as well as put a stop order at the low of the last bar.

Make sure you test, test, test & make any adjustments you need before running it on your live account please !!

Code:
[IntrabarOrderGeneration = True];
Inputs : QtyOverride(0), AccountSize(25000), RiskPercent(.25), MaxTradeValue(0) ; ;
Vars : intrabarpersist Done(false), intrabarpersist RiskCents(0), intrabarpersist NumShares(0);
if marketposition = 1 or GetPositionQuantity(GetSymbolName, GetAccountID) <> 0 then done = true;
if GetAppInfo( aiRealTimeCalc ) = 1 then begin 
    if done = false then begin
  RiskCents = (Close - Low[1]) + .01;
  NumShares = ((AccountSize / 100) * RiskPercent) / Highest(RiskCents,AvgTrueRange(14)) ;
  if MaxTradeValue <> 0 then NumShares = minlist(NumShares,intportion(MaxTradeValue / Close));
  if QtyOverride <> 0 then NumShares = QtyOverride;
  buy NumShares contract next bar market ; 
 end;
 if NumShares = 0 then NumShares = GetPositionQuantity(GetSymbolName, GetAccountID);
    Sell NumShares contract next bar Low[1] Stop ; 
end ;
Qty Override - number of shares to buy if you don't want the system to calculate
AccountSize -
RiskPercent - Risk per trade (%)
MaxTradeValue - max number of dollars to commit to a trade (total, not risk total)

Enjoy
Hey Pedro01 can you give any guidance on turning your code into an ELD, i know how to import one but not how to create one. Looks like a great automation to Mr. Charts strategy (which i'm attempting to learn). Thanks.
Tripken is offline   Reply With Quote