How To Make Money Trading The Markets.

This is a discussion on How To Make Money Trading The Markets. within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; hi there! I've been trading index futures (FTSE & S&P) on and off for 5 years I want to scalp ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31, 2009, 2:57pm   #401
Joined Feb 2009
hi there!

I've been trading index futures (FTSE & S&P) on and off for 5 years I want to scalp these futures contracts (using level 2 platform). My problem is that I cannot find an optimal stop loss & risk reward ratio for scalping. For instance, I have placed my stops very tight i.e. 4 ticks on emini contract, but obviously this got hit too much, only to reverse 10 mins later. So I tried increasing the stop to 12 ticks, but this was too much risk considering I was only taking profit at around 6 ticks. I prefer intraday trading to position because I like to close my positions in the evening and sleep easy. Any guidance anyone? Many thanks.
Old May 31, 2009, 3:03pm   #402
Joined Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie83 View Post
hi there!

I've been trading index futures (FTSE & S&P) on and off for 5 years I want to scalp these futures contracts (using level 2 platform). My problem is that I cannot find an optimal stop loss & risk reward ratio for scalping. For instance, I have placed my stops very tight i.e. 4 ticks on emini contract, but obviously this got hit too much, only to reverse 10 mins later. So I tried increasing the stop to 12 ticks, but this was too much risk considering I was only taking profit at around 6 ticks. I prefer intraday trading to position because I like to close my positions in the evening and sleep easy. Any guidance anyone? Many thanks.
your stop loss should be set at the point you know you were wrong about your original call in my opinion. Sometimes that will be further away than you like & you'll have to pass on the trade.

a fixed number of points/ticks on every trade seems very arbitrary to me...
pedro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 3:16pm   #403
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro01 View Post
your stop loss should be set at the point you know you were wrong about your original call in my opinion. Sometimes that will be further away than you like & you'll have to pass on the trade.

a fixed number of points/ticks on every trade seems very arbitrary to me...
interesting point, thanks Pedro. So this would mean that scalping would not be possible with this kind of strategy.
Old May 31, 2009, 4:35pm   #404
Joined Jun 2008
bennie83, this stratergy has nothing do do with scalping or index futures, which move totally differently, you will get a lot more help asking in a more appropriate thread or starting a new one.
bry.
The fact is that only a small percentage of any given population are willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve wealth. Few people are willing to do what most are unwilling to do. Those who succeed, are the ones willing to go beyond their comfort zones and challenge their beliefs. They are the ones prepared to understand themselves, their conditioning and their psychology.
bfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 6:50pm   #405

Joined Sep 2001
Mr. Charts started this thread Thanks, Bry.
Bennie, as you can see this thread is about day trading US stocks, not scalping futures, so your question is not in the right thread.
Richard

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is online now Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 9:18pm   #406

Joined Sep 2001
Mr. Charts started this thread And Pedro is right - why on earth exit a winning trade just because it's hit an arbitrary target?
Exit when you have evidence the price is turning against you -or about to do so.
This applies to stocks as well - otherwise I wouldn't bother to comment.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is online now Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:15am   #407

1 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
On page 36.

I just want to say that I am enjoying the read and appreciate the time each of you have put into this thread.
turnerbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:05pm   #408
Joined Feb 2008
This thread shows much promise...

It's going to take some getting used to - but in my opinion there seems to be gold in them there hills
Attached Thumbnails
mrcharts.jpg  
pedro01 is offline   Reply With Quote