Capital Spreads or CMC?

This is a discussion on Capital Spreads or CMC? within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Hey guys I am looking for a limited risk account to practice trading on. I am currently with IG index ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:20pm   #1

9 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Capital Spreads or CMC?

Hey guys I am looking for a limited risk account to practice trading on. I am currently with IG index but they have already cocked up so............

After reading the forums I have noticed that the 2 best providers are capital spreads or CMC, however I am not sure as to which to pick.

I am looking for tight spreads as usual and a clear, concise user interface.

If you could help me to pick and provide reasons I would be greatful.

Thanks
garagemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:46pm   #2

Joined Oct 2006
you could open demo accounts with both of them and see how you go

"The trend is your friend and divergences are your best friend until the bend at the end"

Party on like it's 1930, until Mr C (Wave) gatecrashes the party.
fibonelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:56pm   #3

Joined Mar 2006
http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/brokers/

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/20471-top-3-spread-betting-firms.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/16595-capital-spreads.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting-cfds/21943-worldspreads-upgraded.html

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex/20743-best-fx.html

It's all on here my friend if you want some homework for the night... shouldn't take long to wizz through speed reading the important stuff...I am quite happy with CMC but not many knock Capitalspreads, I have never used them so can't comment.

Good luck, oh and don't try news scalping with any of 'em coz they wont like you!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:57am   #4
Joined Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagemc
Hey guys I am looking for a limited risk account to practice trading on. I am currently with IG index but they have already cocked up so............
How did IGIndex **** up?

regards

Ben
RunTheNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:31am   #5

Joined Mar 2004
"I am looking for tight spreads as usual and a clear, concise user interface."

no1 needs tight spreads as usual and a clear, concise user interface.

every1 needs entries exits and stops.

I will remind u on this matter while delivering your first entry
pssonice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:25pm   #6

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagemc

After reading the forums I have noticed that the 2 best providers are capital spreads or CMC, however I am not sure as to which to pick.

I am looking for tight spreads as usual and a clear, concise user interface.

If you could help me to pick and provide reasons I would be greatful.

Thanks
Hello garagemc,

You don't say what you plan to trade, or the frequency of it, but I think you'll find the tightest spreads are with CMC for equities. Unlike the others, who offer a fixed additional spread, CMC's spread depends on the liquidity at the time. Their worst spread is worse that all the others, but 95% of their spreads are far tighter than the others.

I believe Capital aren't too far behind - however be aware that because of the way they operate stops (your margin is proportional to the distance of your stop) you can find that this is a significant additional cost. Money tied up in margin is money not appreciateng elsewhere. It was an issue for me, though I'm a longer term trend follower and my stops are as wide as a barn door - I use hedging to limit my risk. It may be much less of an issue for you.

Take a look at the thread "cost of spreadbetting" for a comparison of costs from varioius providers, use the spreadsheet at the end of the thread - sadly not too many entries for CS - but you may want to compare CMC's average with a snapshot of the CS website's.

Cheers,
UTB

Last edited by the blades; Feb 23, 2007 at 12:32pm.
the blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:22pm   #7

9 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
garagemc started this thread I will be mainly trading the uk and US indices, I have tried a demo a/c with capital spreads however the interface was nowhere near as good as IG index's. Will have to try CMC. Thanks for the info guys much appreciated!

Is there a place where we can discuss what shares/ equities and indices etc we are trading/spreadbetting?
garagemc is offline   Reply With Quote