Is it possible to feel no emotion when you win or lose a trade?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to feel no emotion when you win or lose a trade? within the Psychology, Risk & Money Management forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by darktone How can you change the way you think / what you you believe etc? Buy a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:19am   #33
The Staff are paid members employed by T2W to perform some specific role such as editorial, advertising or technical work.

Joined Nov 2000
Sharky started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
How can you change the way you think / what you you believe etc? Buy a decent book on CBT / depression, grab a pen and paper and get busy. "Nah! That psychobabble aint for me!"... Well done genius, youve just unwittingly defeated yourself.
If like me, you were wondering what CBT stands for, it's: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and there are some good recommendations for books on Quora here:

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-...y-for-a-layman
http://www.quora.com/Cognitive-Behav...ned-practioner
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:54am   #34

Joined Nov 2003
+1 on 'Feeling good'. Is beer money s/h on amazon.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:04pm   #35
Joined Aug 2014
The problem with self-administered cognitive therapy is much like everything else which is self-administered for which you are not trained or an expert in, it'll give you a short-term fix, possibly, but at the expense of focusing on your primary objectives - for the sake of argument given the stated interest topic of this site - trading. If your emotions are such an issue it's a problem then get professional help. The old NLP thing was all the rage a few years ago and every man and his dog were curing themselves and offering to cure everyone else of all sorts of things they didn't know they had. If you have emotions which are proving problematic when you're trading and not in any other area of your life - sort out the trading issues, don't waste time hunting for the 'you' issues which are 'impacting' your trading as there probably are none. If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:50pm   #36

Joined Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Riley View Post
If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:21pm   #37

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:
The problem with self-administered cognitive therapy is much like everything else which is self-administered for which you are not trained or an expert in, it'll give you a short-term fix, possibly, but at the expense of focusing on your primary objectives - for the sake of argument given the stated interest topic of this site - trading. If your emotions are such an issue it's a problem then get professional help. The old NLP thing was all the rage a few years ago and every man and his dog were curing themselves and offering to cure everyone else of all sorts of things they didn't know they had. If you have emotions which are proving problematic when you're trading and not in any other area of your life - sort out the trading issues, don't waste time hunting for the 'you' issues which are 'impacting' your trading as there probably are none. If you have emotional problems with everything then you're Irish and no amount of sorting will help, you're doomed.
Wot a loada bollox! Apart from the Irish bit!
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:39pm   #38
Joined Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktone View Post
Wot a loada bollox! Apart from the Irish bit!
Now tell me mr. darktone, how long have you been harbouring these feelings of aggression and anger toward humanity in general and Irish folk in particular? Just allow your eyes to close and become comfortable with yourself as you inwardly melt and become soft and pliant. Enjoy the soft breeze on your face which is what you will feel shortly before my first of fury hammers into your Paddyphobic mush.

There ya bugger. Reframe that.
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:51pm   #39

Joined Dec 2008
Quote:
Now tell me mr. darktone, how long have you been harbouring these feelings of aggression and anger toward humanity in general and Irish folk in particular? Just allow your eyes to close and become comfortable with yourself as you inwardly melt and become soft and pliant. Enjoy the soft breeze on your face which is what you will feel shortly before my first of fury hammers into your Paddyphobic mush.

I think I'm going to start a thread called 'Ask Uncle Pat' as I think he has a touch of the Clare Raynor's about him and he could help us all......
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:54pm   #40

Joined Nov 2003
Quote:

Pat, you got me all wrong mate. Is only recently that ive been re evaluating some of my beliefs re the Irish (as in the last 10 minutes) and realised that im way out of touch with reality. Now if you dont mind, being 1/4 Irish myself, im off to accept the fact that im 25% F**ked! Wheres mi pen n paper!?