IMC or CFA... or both?

This is a discussion on IMC or CFA... or both? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; Started as a trader for myslef out of uni, found this site. Was not for me straight out of uni. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 17, 2011, 5:05pm   #25

Joined Oct 2004
Re: IMC or CFA... or both?

Started as a trader for myslef out of uni, found this site. Was not for me straight out of uni. Did a temp job at a major IB then got a perm job up in London in the Back office (easy hours 9-5 with overtime, no travelling, desk work but rewarding set tasks to be complete on time each day/week/month). Moved up to front office quickly and stayed there until became Junior Portfolio Manager on Global Macro funds. Quit my Job as no career progression, Gone travelling around the world, now based myself in HK to hunt for jobs in Asia.

Set up this site http://investment-banking-career-sites.blogspot.com/ to share my bookmarks with the world as direct links to IB and asset management search pages.
nicktids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 8:20pm   #26

Joined Dec 2010

MaxiV started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktids View Post
Started as a trader for myslef out of uni, found this site. Was not for me straight out of uni. Did a temp job at a major IB then got a perm job up in London in the Back office (easy hours 9-5 with overtime, no travelling, desk work but rewarding set tasks to be complete on time each day/week/month). Moved up to front office quickly and stayed there until became Junior Portfolio Manager on Global Macro funds. Quit my Job as no career progression, Gone travelling around the world, now based myself in HK to hunt for jobs in Asia.

Set up this site http://investment-banking-career-sites.blogspot.com/ to share my bookmarks with the world as direct links to IB and asset management search pages.
Wow thats great>>>> what is it you did at uni and did you do any prof'nl quals? I want to end up on the asian side and move there too.

How long did it take you to go from BAck to Front office?
Old May 26, 2011, 9:00pm   #27

Joined Oct 2004

10 months to move back to front after I arrived at the company.

I studied Chemisty and have the IMC and the society of technical analysts diploma (MSTA).

Thinking about doing the CAIA now.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:06am   #28

Joined Dec 2010

Quote:
10 months to move back to front after I arrived at the company.

I studied Chemisty and have the IMC and the society of technical analysts diploma (MSTA).

Thinking about doing the CAIA now.
Where did you do your Chemistry? Why a change into doing the IMC? and whats the CAIA?

Just thinking... if you done well with IMC and a other quals... i may as well do IMC and the first level CFA.

Are you in your 30s? (sorry... don't mean to be rude by asking age... dont have to say if you dont want to).
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:41am   #29

Joined Oct 2004

Did chemistry as just a tough course to do.

Did the IMC cause my company demanded it of me to be able to be compliant to trade. IMC is nothing like the CFA you can complete it in a couple of months if or less if you just do the exam questions in the back of study guides they are the same as in the exam.

CAIA google it Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, slightly different and cheaper to take than the CFA but more specific on alternative investments which is where my skills lie, coming from Macro funds, I don't need all the info on single stock analysis in the CFA.

Under 30.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:59pm   #30

Joined Dec 2010

Quote:
Did chemistry as just a tough course to do.

Did the IMC cause my company demanded it of me to be able to be compliant to trade. IMC is nothing like the CFA you can complete it in a couple of months if or less if you just do the exam questions in the back of study guides they are the same as in the exam.

CAIA google it Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, slightly different and cheaper to take than the CFA but more specific on alternative investments which is where my skills lie, coming from Macro funds, I don't need all the info on single stock analysis in the CFA.

Under 30.
Im glad i came across the CAIA, thanks for that; this is more like me. there is Kaplan that do this in the UK that i can find.

What other quals are there out there besides CFA?

... ok just seen CISI through Kaplan<<< anyone know whats this like and is directed to?

But i am more interested on CAIA now. Is there any involvement in the FOREX markets in any of these quals?

Last edited by MaxiV; Jun 4, 2011 at 2:20pm. Reason: Addn
MaxiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:46am   #31
Joined Jan 2008

Well, Certainly IMC is worthy and its the way to the ladder to become full CFA in next stage, also IMC syllabus almost part one of CFA,so before going hard commitment its better start easy and thats,IMC ...
its would help even if you are a practicing Broker and or pursuing teaching,as great demand for teacher of IMC and CFA and ofcourse it would help TRADING or Analyst job too
Thanks
jobworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:15pm   #32

Joined Dec 2010

MaxiV started this thread I now have another question... once you do these exams i heard you can no longer trade for yourself as there is an unfair advantage!! I really dont want to dealin shares but what about FOREX for myself or even using spread trading (betting) <<< is that still allowed?