IMC or CFA... or both?

This is a discussion on IMC or CFA... or both? within the Home Trader forums, part of the Trading Career category; you say you have been trading 10 years, are you profitable ? what do you trade. why not trade your ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:11pm   #9

Joined Mar 2008
Re: IMC or CFA... or both?

you say you have been trading 10 years, are you profitable ? what do you trade. why not trade your own account ?
advfntrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:13pm   #10

Joined Dec 2010

MaxiV started this thread FOREX and FTSE, S&P, Did do NYMEX too and other commodities such as gold. But now concentrating and perfecting FOREX esp GBP/USD (through IGIndex). Will move onto FTSE and others later. I Have done well and been through my major losses when have got my trading emotion tuned to the Nth degree... everything falls into place with a good trading system. I enjoy it but want to learn more on what is going on out there and how all the mechanics of the markets work. Hence, wanting to go for the IMC or CFA; prob. more of a matter of interest then for career change... but wouldn't mind having a dabble in that world.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:27pm   #11
Joined Aug 2006

If it's just a matter of interest, I would suggest the IMC, as the CFA is a major undertaking. That said, you will probably know a fair bit of the subjects in there and could learn a lot of the reest from books, such as the FT Guide to Investing.
majicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:34pm   #12

8 Posts
Joined Jun 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiV View Post
Thanks Don-e

Yes that really does help... i was going to ask about the CISI qualification too, but you sorta mentioned it here. BTW what is the difference between IMC and CISI?
Simply - one's respected, the other isnt. Think most employers ask for the IMC for your basic threshold exams - the CISI Cert programme it the alternative I completed the level 3 exams (regs, secs, der, risk) couple of years ago - took about 6 months to get through - would have preferred to dedicate that time to CFA level one which is a diploma level or FSA level 5 (you'll need an FSA regs on top of this if you want FSA registry). I dont know much about the new Level 4 exams - nobody does and this is why a lot of people will just take the CFA route (IMC - which is now FSA level 4 or CFA) a little more effort gets you a lot more qualification wise IMO.

I think you can still do the level 3 CISI's which arent particulary but no doubt these will become redundant.

Cheers,
Don-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 3:42pm   #13
Joined Aug 2006

The level 3 exams will still be sufficient for you to be registered with the FSA, so long as you don't work on the retail side. If you're a trader for a bank with the old IMC, then you're not affected.
majicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:41pm   #14

Joined Dec 2010

MaxiV started this thread Mmmmmm im inclined to do just the CFA only... but now maybe IMC to see if its for me and them do the first level CFA... but this looks like a waste of time... so, as someone has said already on this thread, to just crack on with the CFA...

Is there any use of just doing the first part of the CFA?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:00pm   #15

4 Posts
Joined Feb 2011

MaxiV,

The IMC is worthwhile doing based on your decision to make a career move as it is the recognised benchmark for knowledge. Additionally new regulation that came about at the end of 2010 recognises people with the IMC + CFA level one as being able to legally provide investment advice which when applying for jobs is a going to hold you in good stead for a number of positions.

https://secure.cfauk.org/qualifications/rdr.html
Tezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:32am   #16

Joined Dec 2010

MaxiV started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezzer View Post
MaxiV,

The IMC is worthwhile doing based on your decision to make a career move as it is the recognised benchmark for knowledge. Additionally new regulation that came about at the end of 2010 recognises people with the IMC + CFA level one as being able to legally provide investment advice which when applying for jobs is a going to hold you in good stead for a number of positions.

https://secure.cfauk.org/qualifications/rdr.html
Had a read of that... and thanks.... i think thats what i'll do now, but next year... too much on this year.... will see what i do closer to the time. Thanks again.