People make me laugh

This is a discussion on People make me laugh within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I'm reading trading books on my downtime at work. Not to show off, it's the only thing we are allowed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:23pm   #1
Joined Jul 2010
People make me laugh

I'm reading trading books on my downtime at work. Not to show off, it's the only thing we are allowed to do when we have downtime. A while back I was reading some mindless sci-fi stuff. Everyone was all interested. Now everyone is totally critical. I could care less what some wage-slave bored housewife thinks. But it is funny.

Today was my favorite of all time by one of the secretaries here: "Trading is just like gambling unless you're an economist."

Just have to laugh....
Rooster34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: luckyd1976 , William Waller , tafita , Pazienza
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:27pm   #2
Joined Feb 2008
Re: People make me laugh

Most traders Hate Economists. They are great at Cocktail Economics but cant trade for ****.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:31pm   #3
Joined Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster34 View Post
I'm reading trading books on my downtime at work. Not to show off, it's the only thing we are allowed to do when we have downtime. A while back I was reading some mindless sci-fi stuff. Everyone was all interested. Now everyone is totally critical. I could care less what some wage-slave bored housewife thinks. But it is funny.

Today was my favorite of all time by one of the secretaries here: "Trading is just like gambling unless you're an economist."

Just have to laugh....
William Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:05pm   #4
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd1976 View Post
Most traders Hate Economists. They are great at Cocktail Economics but cant trade for ****.
and if someone is an Economist (well has a degree in the alchemy), and is recognised as a good trader, is he like fookin boss?
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:06pm   #5
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
I'm reading trading books on my downtime at work, it's the only thing we are allowed to do when we have downtime.
No rest at Goldman Sachs eh?
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:09pm   #6
Joined Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
and if someone is an Economist (well has a degree in the alchemy), and is recognised as a good trader, is he like fookin boss?
lol Good traders are good traders I will forgive them if their counselors misguided them into thinking the degree in economics was their ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:33pm   #7
Joined Jul 2010

Rooster34 started this thread Black Swan: funny about Goldman Sachs. Made me
snort laugh.

I work in a doctors office lab, but not for the office itself. If I'm not busy it's straight downtime. Unfortunately my company prohibits laptops at work, and even playing on my phone is a "grey" area.
So books it is. It's cool though, I love to read.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:46pm   #8
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003

Most economists would be utterly incapable of trading profitably in my view.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: William Waller , luckyd1976
Old Jul 20, 2010, 5:50pm   #9
Joined Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader333 View Post
Most economists would be utterly incapable of trading profitably in my view.

Paul
got a big brush and lots of tar mate?
gooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: cr6196 , Waterfield , scose-no-doubt
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:04pm   #10
Joined Feb 2009

It doesn't matter what your profession,...trading is for those with tenacity and the resilience not to be beaten !,....and of course, a cool head, and a nonchalant monetary demean,....: )
Hilarymannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:10pm   #11
Joined Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarymannah View Post
It doesn't matter what your profession,...trading is for those with tenacity and the resilience not to be beaten !,....and of course, a cool head, and a nonchalant monetary demean,....: )
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:21pm   #12

Joined May 2008

J.M. Keynes was supposed to have been a successful investor.
I know it's not the same as trading though.
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:27pm   #13

Joined May 2008

Quote:
Now everyone is totally critical. I could care less what some wage-slave bored housewife thinks. But it is funny.

Today was my favourite of all time by one of the secretaries here: "Trading is just like gambling unless you're an economist."
One of the reasons I never told the missus what I am doing.
She knows now.
Pity she waited until a low point in my trading to find out though ...
Now I feel under pressure (another reason why I didn't tell her).

It's only a secondary source of income fortunately, so not critical in that sense, although it's important to me.
montmorencyt2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:41pm   #14
Joined Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorencyt2w View Post
J.M. Keynes was supposed to have been a successful investor.
I know it's not the same as trading though.
I thought Keynes blew his account?
tafita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:12pm   #15
Joined Jul 2010

Rooster34 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorencyt2w View Post
One of the reasons I never told the missus what I am doing.
She knows now.
Pity she waited until a low point in my trading to find out though ...
Now I feel under pressure (another reason why I didn't tell her).

It's only a secondary source of income fortunately, so not critical in that sense, although it's important to me.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't tell wifey that Im trying this again. When we met I had several OJ options and by freak dumb luck hurricane season hit and I recovered anything I had ever lost in futures. Maybe a few hundred more. This was her first exposure to trading and she assumes this is how it will be. That was one really good trade out of alot of mediocre/bad ones. And in the end I was right back where I started.
She opened my mail and at first got really mad that I didn't tell her I was venturing back into the waters. And then as soon as she got done being mad, she asked me to buy her a gift with the first profits I made cause "That way I'll feel good about what you're doing."

I honestly think people cannot stand/get fearfull if someone even has the possibility of doing better than they are doing. We are such weird flawed little creatures.