Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book

This is a discussion on Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Excellent work Guy. Read it cover to cover in one go and look forward to dipping into it again at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 15, 2011, 8:32pm   #36

2 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Re: Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book

Excellent work Guy. Read it cover to cover in one go and look forward to dipping into it again at a slower pace this week. One of those rare books that appeal to beginners and seasoned traders alike.
Would not really be concerned with "serious journalists" -that amazon list says it all.
CDARIEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 8:52pm   #37
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgthomas View Post
Thank you 0007.

I tried to make the book easy to read, but at the same time deep. It's a source of some frustration to me that in the first month since release, very few people seem to have noticed the depth! But maybe more will, given time.

Anyway, it's selling quite well - No 1 investment book at Amazon UK for the past week - so maybe I should be content with that.

What would really help is a larger number of serious reviews. The publishers have approached all sorts, but so far the only print publication to take it seriously is the Investors Chronicle, which published a detailed review http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/...ling-dozen.jsp.

Something in the weekend broadsheets would make a big difference. It probably helps to know journalists, and unfortunately I don't. (Any leads greatly appreciated.)
Have ordered a copy this weekend. 5 day delivery so will get back to you. I would'nt worry about the publicity...if it's good and sells well, then it will create it's own momentum.

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:02pm   #38
Joined Feb 2011

Guy, congratulations on finishing the book - I've heard from many what a grueling process it can be. I wouldn't worry about the media exposure to start with and as has been mentioned above, these things tend to gather momentum. Also, as I'm sure you've found out already it's surprising who you find reading these boards but not necessarily posting!
I look forward to reading it, once I finish the other five books I have on the go at the moment!

How did you find that writing the book and meeting your interviewees has affected your own trading/investment?
WesleyMantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 10:11pm   #39
Joined Jun 2008

whats going on with galleon holdings plc?
cr6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 4:23pm   #40
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread Thanks to all for the feedback.

How did you find that writing the book and meeting your interviewees has affected your own trading/investment?

I tried to largely suppress my own judgment / prejudices about the relative attractions of the different strategies. I genuinely believe the optimal choice of strategy depends a lot on your personality.

But there's a very important and carefully considered sentence in Owen, chapter 9, p179:

"Because of this economical use of time, his approach is the one in this book I most wish I could emulate."

That's Owen the closed-end funds activist. He is extraordinarily focused on his niche of investment trusts / listed hedge funds of funds / listed private equity funds trading at a discount. Being so focused allows him to ignore a lot of things I spend time thinking about.

So I've tried to pay more attention to that niche myself. But it's harder than it looks. Owen's been doing roughly this for 20 years or more. So when he goes back to the listing document for a fund (for example), he knows exactly what he's looking for. When I try to do the same, I'm lost in 200 pages of small print.
rgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 4:29pm   #41
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread 'whats going on with galleon holdings plc? '

It's an interesting punt on their business in China. But a very small proportion of my assets.

The irony of the 3% disclosure requirements is that it's my smaller positions which get all the attention!
rgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 7:38pm   #42

2 Posts
Joined May 2011

Guy

Have ordered your book a long time ago and am itching to read it when i go on holiday next week - sun lounger - good book (very good from the reviews i have seen) what else can you want? Am hearing on some boards that Galleon’s china gaming business is booming although not sure what to believe on some boards....! Interesting punt - will watch and see.

Any thoughts on QE2 coming to an end in June and impact on small caps?

Doc
drvodkaquickstep is offline   Reply With Quote