Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book

This is a discussion on Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; nice book, the 1st chapter is good reading. I will buy it ! Originally Posted by rgthomas The book has ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:42pm   #21

Joined Mar 2008
Re: Successful full-time traders - anonymous interviews for a serious book

nice book, the 1st chapter is good reading. I will buy it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgthomas View Post
The book has some good reviews but paperback is currently sold out at Amazon. If you want a copy soon the publisher is probably quicker...

http://www.harriman-house.com/freecapital
advfntrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:23pm   #22
Joined Jan 2005

Quote:
“This book profiles 12 private investors. Each of them has accumulated £1m or more – in most cases considerably more – mainly from stock market investment. Six are ‘ISA millionaires’ who have £1m or more in a tax-free Investment Savings Account (ISA), a result which is arithmetically impossible without exceptional investment returns.”
Firstly, well done on the book writing. Something i could never do.

So names, accounts sizes and previous occupations etc have been changed to anonimise the interviewees. Did they all really become millionaires or is that just a blurb to attract newbies to buy the book?

--Don't mock stupid dwarves. It's not big and it's not clever!--
coopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:57am   #23
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopster View Post
So names, accounts sizes and previous occupations etc have been changed to anonimise the interviewees. Did they all really become millionaires or is that just a blurb to attract newbies to buy the book?
Names and some previous occupations have been changed. Account sizes have not been systematically changed, they're just rather vague.

People of this level of wealth are quite reticent about the exact level, even with weak anonymity. However, I believe they are all easily millionaires. I believe five almost certainly have more than £10m.

Apart from what they told me, these five are all named from time to time in announcements of holdings >3% in single companies. I think it implausible that someone will pop up with 5% of company A worth £2m, 4% of company B worth £1m, etc (where company A and B are unrelated) - unless their overall wealth is circa £10m+.
rgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:09pm   #24

Joined Jun 2005

Quote:
The book has some good reviews but paperback is currently sold out at Amazon. If you want a copy soon the publisher is probably quicker...

http://www.harriman-house.com/freecapital
Available Amazon early May - £10 to your door.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:46pm   #25

Joined Jun 2005

Just received my copy of this book and had a quick skim read. It really is very good -- the style is somewhat reminiscent of "market wizards". As the author says -- it won't tell you how to trade, but I've found that it gives an excellent insight into the psychology and approach of the subject traders and the biographical aspect I find incredibly interesting.

The book is very well structured and the author's academic antecedents are used to great advantage for the reader. A quick look through the conclusion chapter allowed this paragraph to catch my eye:

"Most interviewees went through a long initial period in which they were largely unsuccessful investors. They either broke even or regularly lost small amounts of money, but not enough to deter them from trying again. ..........
........ We cannot infer that persistence always pays off, because we cannot observe other amateur investors who may have been equally persistent but never became successful. But we can say that an initial period of indifferent results is common, it may last for several years, and it is not inconsistent with eventual success as a full-time investor".

Highly recommended if you are interested in more than just the length of your pin bar. I also note that the author has agreed to donate all his royalties to the United Nations Stop Tuberculosis Partnership. Well worth £10.

Last edited by 0007; May 5, 2011 at 2:53pm.
0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 1:17am   #26
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread A few good and thoughtful reviews...

Alistair Blair in Investors Chronicle:

"...a compelling read..."You could learn a lot from this dazzling dozen..."

"...definitely the best investment book that has crossed my desk for some time."
Full text here: http://bit.ly/mSUPKL

Stockopedia:

"At last,a true to life account of UK investing...highly recommended reading..." Full text here: http://bit.ly/mORG6X

Motley Fool:

“Something of a future investment classic in my view" Full text here http://bit.ly/iYXyuW

The book is intended to be an easy read, even for people who pick it up not understanding stuff like spread betting and CFDs. But I'm pleased that some readers are noticing that if you want more depth, it's there if you read carefully:

"What makes it a joy to read are the wry observations and aphorisms scattered throughout the book...."

Full text (Amazon review) : http://amzn.to/lypbGT

Last edited by rgthomas; May 11, 2011 at 1:35am.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:29am   #27
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread In the interests of balance, I should also record that I've just seen the first crappy review

"Always sceptical about these sort of books which usually enrich only the author.

I have been investing for 30 years and although a wealthy man by most peoples standards I have found that he market will always trip you up when you least expect it.

Investing is a get rich slowly pastime and publications which indicate otherwise are very misleading in my opinion."

...But perhaps not as misleading as reviewers who don't bother to read the book (or at least, fail to notice that all author royalties are ppledged to charity on page 1) .
Old May 11, 2011, 2:10am   #28

Joined Oct 2010

Well I just bought a copy as wanted something new to read and saw that some of the interviewees were ISA based. So I'll let you know what I think when it eventually arrives as just noticed it says it isn't going to be delivered till the beginning of June. Are they printed on demand only?

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:18am   #29
Joined May 2004

rgthomas started this thread Beginning of June?!! Which bookshop is that?

I know it has just been reprinted. I received another box of copies myself yesterday, and the publishers previously said they would meet any backlogs of real orders before restocking me.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:21am   #30

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Beginning of June?!! Which bookshop is that?

I know it has just been reprinted. I received another box of copies myself yesterday, and the publishers previously said they would meet any backlogs of real orders before restocking me.
Bought it on Amazon UK.

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote