Bloomberg Terminal

This is a discussion on Bloomberg Terminal within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Thanks for the advice Gamma - I've had an offer of a trial period no commitiment so I may take ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 20, 2009, 2:52pm   #31
Joined Apr 2009
ukdaytrader started this thread Thanks for the advice Gamma - I've had an offer of a trial period no commitiment so I may take it up...and I will report back on its usefulness.

I take your point on the functionality, particularly as I don't trade bonds / interest rates etc. Where I used to be they used to construct there own yield curves using bloomberg data !

I was thinking reuters was better for equities but again the term of the contract becomes a problem. I wouldn't mind running on a monthly basis, the thing is if you make a loss for the month and then have to fork out the fee as well..........I would have to tell the wife not to go to Bond Street for the week.........
ukdaytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 2:54pm   #32

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdaytrader View Post
Are they trading Zimbabwean in dollars as well ?
You've lost me.
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 2:56pm   #33
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Thanks for the advice Gamma - I've had an offer of a trial period no commitiment so I may take it up...and I will report back on its usefulness.

I take your point on the functionality, particularly as I don't trade bonds / interest rates etc. Where I used to be they used to construct there own yield curves using bloomberg data !

I was thinking reuters was better for equities but again the term of the contract becomes a problem. I wouldn't mind running on a monthly basis, the thing is if you make a loss for the month and then have to fork out the fee as well..........I would have to tell the wife not to go to Bond Street for the week.........
Did you get a ballpark figure for pricing?
Old May 20, 2009, 3:07pm   #34
Joined Apr 2009
ukdaytrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer View Post
Did you get a ballpark figure for pricing?
Anyway Costings are 1900 USD per month -bloomberg - 2 year contract 60 days notice for exit an exit charge of 50% of the remainder of the 2 year contract. There is also VAT on top.

For Reuters 3000 it was around 1000 - 1200 GBP per month. 12 month contract - no exit. + VAT on top.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:08pm   #35

Joined Sep 2008
Quote:
So for example I wanted to compute the inventory value of the building companies against ... It just took ages. Now If I wanted to repeat this exercise in a month again it will take another day potentially.

Perhaps I should get an assistant may be cheaper ?
Some of us write programs to scrape such data together and they don't eat or drink. The programs I mean. I'm a ***ing glutton myself.
roughbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 3:10pm   #36

Joined Nov 2008
If you must have one, go for Reuters. Just have a good think about it, is all I'm saying; £1200 is a lot of money for information that can be gathered for free with a little effort.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:14pm   #37

Joined Nov 2008
You say that it takes you a day to collate all your information for the month... if over an extended period of time your average daily net profit > £1200, you can theoretically justify Reuters. If not, then you can't. Besides, what's stopping you getting it done on a Sunday, that's got to be worth £1200. I'll do it for you for half that.

You'd be far better off paying £1500 a month at a firm and getting Reuters, dedicated support, direct lines to the exchange, lower commissions etc...

Last edited by Skill Leverage; May 20, 2009 at 3:19pm.
Old May 20, 2009, 3:22pm   #38

Joined Sep 2008
Also consider that you will not get 100% of what you want from Bloomers or Reuters - you will still have to spend time researching in detail when they don't provide everything you need.
roughbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 3:31pm   #39
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
Anyway Costings are 1900 USD per month -bloomberg - 2 year contract 60 days notice for exit an exit charge of 50% of the remainder of the 2 year contract. There is also VAT on top.

For Reuters 3000 it was around 1000 - 1200 GBP per month. 12 month contract - no exit. + VAT on top.

I meant for the platform I suggested. Just curious.
Old May 20, 2009, 8:56pm   #40
Joined Apr 2009
ukdaytrader started this thread Gamma - cheers for that - its got RNS which is what I was specifically looking for.

Skills I cant do that as if you think that I need to look at say 10-12 sectors, place trades in respect of timings and look at other opportunities - I am out of time. At the moment I work from 8.00am to around 7 - 9 pm everyday 5 days a week and then some over the weekend.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:02pm   #41
Joined Apr 2009
ukdaytrader started this thread A more detailed look - this is really excellent , exactly what I was looking for, I think - Id like to see what the disclaimers are on the data that is provided particularly the financial reporting stuff. I've enquired about the pricing.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:44am   #42

Joined Nov 2008
Quote:
Gamma - cheers for that - its got RNS which is what I was specifically looking for.

Skills I cant do that as if you think that I need to look at say 10-12 sectors, place trades in respect of timings and look at other opportunities - I am out of time. At the moment I work from 8.00am to around 7 - 9 pm everyday 5 days a week and then some over the weekend.
I reckon an assistant would be more cost-effective than Reuters, but good luck with whatever you go for. 8am eh, now there's a luxurious lie-in
Old May 21, 2009, 7:49am   #43
Joined Sep 2004
Quote:
A more detailed look - this is really excellent , exactly what I was looking for, I think - Id like to see what the disclaimers are on the data that is provided particularly the financial reporting stuff. I've enquired about the pricing.
Textbook definition of serendipity methinks (or maybe I'm just fantastic at Google searches).

It was pretty much there straight away when I searched. Glad it seems helpful. No idea on costings but I'd be really surprised if it isn't pitched very very competitively compared to Reuters / Bloomberg. And seems far more focused on your own specific needs.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:08am   #44

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
I need mainly economic news + company results data.

I dont agree with your point on the tip of the day at all. It was bloomberg that caused the share drop in the FTSE and S&P index to fall last week . It collapses and then its back to normal.

I think even if you dont trade using Bloomberg, what they say on there has a huge impact on the markets.

I've made huge amounts using the news on there. You only need to hear about the stress tests earlier. Check the Citibank trade. This was put on after they announced that the max capital injection was for Bank of America therefore Citi was less impacted.

I've also made a bit on FX which I dont normally trade using tips from Bloomberg.

Obviously this is not my entire strategy but it enhances my returns.
I initially gave you the benefit of the doubt, but now I am convinced that you are full of crap and you ought to keep your mouth shut. You will just confuse and misdirect newbies who are serious about trading

You do not understand what you are talking about, at all. But what is worse is that you do not understand that you do not understand!

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: trader_dante
Old May 21, 2009, 8:09am   #45
Joined Sep 2004
Think the discussion's moved on dude - let it go.