Anyone can learn?

This is a discussion on Anyone can learn? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; 52, Depsite what the T2W proponents of eugenics say, I think it more optimistic. A high failure rate may also ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:37pm   #31
Joined Jun 2006

Depsite what the T2W proponents of eugenics say, I think it more optimistic. A high failure rate may also be due to inadequate preparation, eg familiarity with systems/technicals, understanding the market(s), a good trading strategy with money management. Someone may become extremely successful after only 6 months but others may take a year, or two to reach the same level.

The question isn't can you become a trader in 6 months, but how long does it take for you to become a trader. Answer: as long as it takes.

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: PKFFW
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:21pm   #32
Joined Jan 2007
Smile Sprat ..Fish .....Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2aces View Post
Short answer - anyone can trade, but not everyone can make money. If everyone who traded made money, where would all the profits come from?
It comes from newbies most donate all their 1st bank

It comes from Improvers who insist on making one off large donations because they keep getting to new levels and think they no it all again

It comes from seasoned traders who just donate sorry lend the market the % they already no they will donate sorry lend until it comes back to them in multiples of

Just like the snooker club

Sprat Fish Shark
Attached Images

black bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:10am   #33

Joined Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty2aces View Post
Short answer - anyone can trade, but not everyone can make money. If everyone who traded made money, where would all the profits come from?
Many of the people don't profit any of the time
Some of the people profit some of the time
A few of the people profit all of the time

- with apologies to A. Lincoln
Thanks! The following members like this post: firewalker99
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:28am   #34

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul71 View Post
So why aren't people learning and doing it?

Hyperthetical bit....

Minimum wage couple, bought a house 10 years ago, some equity in it. Both in jobs that suck.

You can see where i'm going with this, right?

Now apparently according to some, trading can be easily learned, you don't have to be born with special talents, you can be from any gene pool and still make it in this business.

Minimum wage workers poo poo all over the 'anyone can trade' theory with one foul and humungous dump.
IMHO: Because this is the misconception, that successful trading can be learned. I work in a technical environment with a number of engineers. We have all been trained in the same environment, we all have similar qualifications, but we are not all equal in our problem solving ability. Some are borderline useless.

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:03pm   #35
Joined Mar 2003
Hi All,

Interesting thread.

I would say that an individual's ability to learn the trading business is most dependent upon how much that individual WANTS trading to become their profession.

A person who truly desires a certain goal can figure out how to overcome many obstacles that would stop the average person with less desire. If an individual develops a true passion for the financial markets and is willing to channel that passion, then I think that background and class are largely irrelavant. There are many examples of successful wealthy businessmen who came from working class backgrounds - these people would have faced many obstacles during their journey to success, probably the biggest being rasing funds and getting people to take them seriously in their early days.

Looking back at the original starting post on this thread, I would say that although success isn't always dependent on social class, success means different things to different people. There are people for whom success means simply having a steady job and their own 3-bed semi.....this type of person would have no inclination to learn about the complexities of trading because they already feel fulfilled with the life they have. There are many people who reach a level of comfort in their lives and are happy to not push themselves beyond this point, whether they be of the working, middle or upper class.

I think that the need to venture into trading is sparked by the same need that drives people to start their own business.....ambition - something anyone can have regardless of class.

Thanks

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: firewalker99
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:45pm   #36
Joined Jun 2006
Damian,

"fulfilled with the life they have."

Unfortunately, there is an implicit assumption in some quarters on T2W (and elsewhere, especially Elite Trader) that if one isn't trading and also making a wad, this is tantamount to failure.

Grant.
Thanks! The following members like this post: mp6140
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:00pm   #37
Joined Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
Damian,

Unfortunately, there is an implicit assumption in some quarters on T2W (and elsewhere, especially Elite Trader) that if one isn't trading and also making a wad, this is tantamount to failure.

Grant.

Hi Grant,

I agree......sadly, we are all judged by the house we live in, the car we drive, and the money we earn.

Damian
damianoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:51pm   #38
Joined Oct 2006
MP -- ah, another new thread !

Grant

ah indeed Grant --- HOW MUCH is enough ?

$100K, 250K, 500K, 2.5 M, ---- WHERE DOES IT END (i know, greed determines the end point)

obviously there are people who MUST have a few million at the very least (per year) and those who must have more, and even people who can live with (gasp !) LESS !

we should all start a new thread --- "HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH ?

But we must have 5 or 10 year reunions, because each persons needs will change over time --- it could become a wonderous ongoing thread !

mp
mp6140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:53pm   #39

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
Damian,

Grant.
1) What would your opinion on this be if the title of the thread was, "Can anyone teach trading?"

2) Who would you want as a teacher? (In terms of wad making) Someone who IS making a wad or someone barely scraping by?

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:35pm   #40
Joined Jun 2006
NT,

1) No. Those who can, some are better than others. I think the best one can hope for is to be taught what not to do.

2) The successful, obviously. But this is too black and white. Someone may be brilliant on all aspects of the markets, including how to trade, but is psychologically unsuitable (whatever that means)or perhaps trading has no interest.

Grant.