Useful things I've found on the Net.

This is a discussion on Useful things I've found on the Net. within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Get a copy of Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan as a starting point. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:43am   #29

Joined Sep 2003
nine started this thread Get a copy of Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan as a starting point. You can probably get one from the local library.

Edit: Stan's stuff is about mas but also about how stocks are accumulated and distributed ... and the interesting and profitable phases in between. You'll find that what dbPhoenix talks about here at T2W will then get you to the next level. Get it all together and I assure you that you can be as profitable as you want to be.

Last edited by nine; Mar 8, 2008 at 12:12pm.
nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:28am   #30
Joined Aug 2005
The Clue is in the Title

The clue is in the Title “Trade to Win”
86,264 Members If I had a pound for ever bit of Bull **** Advice I read I would be a Very Rich Man, or the Hot Air could run the 25 million cars in the country keeping the Tree Huggers Happy.

This maybe a new Concept why don’t people put their money where their mouth is.

This is my Advise STOP with the Misguided Opinions and get back to Proving that money can be made from the clue in the Title T2W. Let’s start dealing in FACTS and I’m sure we will LEARN from each other systems BACK TO BASICS This is my Trade lets see more people put their trades on with their advise Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
ftse-100-daily-06-mar-08-.png  
Pete007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 10:46am   #31
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete007 View Post
The clue is in the Title

This is my Trade lets see more people put their trades on with their advise Thank you
Pete,
The clue is indeed in the title . . . of the thread: 'Useful things I've found on the Net'. nine has clearly gone to a lot of trouble to sift through the mountains of useless advice on the net to collate and post information that he believes is amongst the best that he's found. He's done a good job IMO, and that of others too, given the number of rep' points he's received. By contrast, your post / chart tells us nothing other than the fact that you made thirty quid on a punt on the FTSE which isn't especially helpful or informative to me - or anyone else.
Tim.
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:09am   #32

Joined May 2003
I was about to delete pete007's post before I saw timsk's response, but I will leave it for a while since that response is absolutely spot on and serves as a timely reminder.

Please keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: 0007 , nkruger
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:15pm   #33
Joined Jun 2006
Nine,

Re your post 21, from FTS8 onwards.

This is the method I’m trying to perfect at the moment (although I ‘discovered’ the method independently as a modification of another method) . I reckon it’s the best approach for scalping. However, I don’t refer to volume - holding a position for seconds, if possible, I don’t think it strictly relevant (however, if someone can convince me otherwise I’ll certainly listen); and I have no need for technical indicators - their lagging nature would undermine the immediacy of the method.

There is one point of yours with which I would disagree regarding this method: “warning against going to too short a timeframe”. To illustrate why, please refer to the attachment in the second pot - tyhe one haere is incorrect.

The charts are for Friday’s CBOT 10-year future. The upper is a 1-minute time-frame, the lower a 10-tick time-frame. 1, 2, 3 and 4 show high/low points (I’ll use only these – it’s sufficient).

Here are the times of the highs/lows. The first figures are for the 1-minute chart, followed by the times for the 10-tick chart. The figures in brackets are from a 5-minute chart simply to provide a broader perspective.

1. 18:31, 18:30 (18:35)
2. 18:45, 18:44 (18:45)
3. 18:48, 18:48 (same time on the 5-min but the bar is a down-bar compared to an up-bar for 1-min and tick)
4. 19:05, 19:04 (19:05).

Is 1-minute significant? Of course it is (5-minutes is an infinity).

I think the greater the time-frame, the greater the risk. Assume you have a buy (sell) signal and you open a position; your entry price should be as close to the high (low) of the high(low) bar as possible, but not at the high (low) as this level would invalidate the high (low) bar as a buy (sell) signal (you won’t know if a bar is a high or low until the following bar).

Your stop is above (below) the high (low) bar. Therefore, the further away from the high (low) where the position is opened, the greater the potential loss to the stop point. And as price can rise/fall over, eg 1-minute (bar), then logically it can rise/fall by a greater degree over 5-minutes (bar)and the further away your stop.

Each instrument has a unique optimal time for generating signals. As shown, the 10-year note is 10 ticks which is also (strangely) the optimum for the 5- and 2-year notes. For comparison, Eurex’s Bund (10-year) is 25 ticks, Bobl (5-year) is 10-15 ticks, and Schatz (2-year) is 25 ticks. However, I think it’s important to occasionally adjust (check daily) these periods to reflect any change in underlying volatility (the same also applies to moving averages, for example – a 5- and 15-minute ma may work fine one day but if the underlying becomes more volatile 3- and 13-minute may be more suitable).

Are there any weakness? Only my own – not closing some losing positions quick enough (but I’m improving).

Any comments welcome.

Grant.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nine.doc (48.0 KB, 199 views)
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:23pm   #34
Joined Jun 2006
Problems re attachment. Be patient.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:28pm   #35
Joined Jun 2006
This should do it. Apologies for quality

Grant.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Nine 1.doc (157.5 KB, 191 views)