Technical analysis or fundamental analysis?

This is a discussion on Technical analysis or fundamental analysis? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Hello everyone! First time here thinking of becoming a day trader. My question is should I do FA or TA. ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:47pm   #1
Joined Jul 2017
Technical analysis or fundamental analysis?

Hello everyone! First time here thinking of becoming a day trader. My question is should I do FA or TA. The reason I ask because recently I have come to a conclusion that I am lazy, I thought I was disciplined because I spent all day reading books trying to value businesses (fundamental analysis) but in the past couple years have gotten nowhere I feel but that's not the bad part. The bad part is when I think the work required its overwhelming I feel like I have wasted alot of time and money on books, this is the second thing in my life I have spent alot of time and I feel its either not for me or I'm lazy or both. If I had a teacher would be alot better, I am not good at self teaching I have also realized, I always need help and I hate that, I just can't grasp things well. Even coding I been doing I have stopped because the most of basic of things I just don't get it.

I want to be rich within a 10 year time frame and I think that through value investing or fundamental analysis I won't reach it. Not with my small starting capital anyways. I have been looking at property investing alot more simpler nowhere near as much headaches and going good so far.


So do you guys think I should choose technical analysis since I don't like reading through years of annual reports, learning accounting (which I have a bit and is VERY boring), doesn't fit my timeframe? I guess I see technical analysis as alot easier and possibly I will find it more fun because I can see results quicker. I have always been more of a practical person that a theory person.

Thanks.
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:14pm   #2
 
4 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
I am partly experiencing the same problem right now and I keep my interest in learning mostly with technical analysis as you can simultaneously learn and apply what you have learned in practice. But keep an eye on the news as well as is can be crucial game changer sometimes. Also I would suggest maybe switching from stocks to Forex for example and see how it goes.
goldorcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:10am   #3
Joined Jul 2017
Sub-Zero started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorcold View Post
I am partly experiencing the same problem right now and I keep my interest in learning mostly with technical analysis as you can simultaneously learn and apply what you have learned in practice. But keep an eye on the news as well as is can be crucial game changer sometimes. Also I would suggest maybe switching from stocks to Forex for example and see how it goes.

Sounds interesting. So you are currently doing fundamental analysis and not finding it fun also?
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:45am   #4
 
sminicooper's Avatar
Joined Jun 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
Hello everyone! First time here thinking of becoming a day trader. My question is should I do FA or TA. The reason I ask because recently I have come to a conclusion that I am lazy, I thought I was disciplined because I spent all day reading books trying to value businesses (fundamental analysis) but in the past couple years have gotten nowhere I feel but that's not the bad part. The bad part is when I think the work required its overwhelming I feel like I have wasted alot of time and money on books, this is the second thing in my life I have spent alot of time and I feel its either not for me or I'm lazy or both. If I had a teacher would be alot better, I am not good at self teaching I have also realized, I always need help and I hate that, I just can't grasp things well. Even coding I been doing I have stopped because the most of basic of things I just don't get it.

I want to be rich within a 10 year time frame and I think that through value investing or fundamental analysis I won't reach it. Not with my small starting capital anyways. I have been looking at property investing alot more simpler nowhere near as much headaches and going good so far.


So do you guys think I should choose technical analysis since I don't like reading through years of annual reports, learning accounting (which I have a bit and is VERY boring), doesn't fit my timeframe? I guess I see technical analysis as alot easier and possibly I will find it more fun because I can see results quicker. I have always been more of a practical person that a theory person.

Thanks.
It appears from what you say that you're looking for a quick and easy way to get rich without overly straining yourself. Trading isn't like that.

You said above "recently I have come to a conclusion that I am lazy". You will never succeed while that remains the case. However, if you could become super-efficient, that may look to other people like laziness but it isn't.
__________________
We are defined by our past!
sminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:36am   #5
Joined Jan 2017
As for me, it's a good idea, cause I use TA mainly by myself
What concerns fundamental analysis, you should take into account economic and political events. That's all.
In fact, you even don't need that accounting, if you are not a long term trader.

I don't say that FA is unnecessary, but it is not so critical. You should know just the basics.
alextrader79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:47am   #6
Joined Jul 2017
Sub-Zero started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminicooper View Post
It appears from what you say that you're looking for a quick and easy way to get rich without overly straining yourself. Trading isn't like that.

You said above "recently I have come to a conclusion that I am lazy". You will never succeed while that remains the case. However, if you could become super-efficient, that may look to other people like laziness but it isn't.
Yeah I think you are right but my question is how isn't day trading to make a quick buck? It pretty much is you get in you get out. Sure you won't become rich overnight but you can make a couple hundred dollars a day if you know what you are doing, is that corret?
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:40pm   #7
 
4 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
Yeah I think you are right but my question is how isn't day trading to make a quick buck? It pretty much is you get in you get out. Sure you won't become rich overnight but you can make a couple hundred dollars a day if you know what you are doing, is that corret?
Yes that is correct!
3mnettow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:45pm   #8
Joined Sep 2013
I would advice you to teach your right things from the very start. In other words study technical analysis, macroeconomics, financial analysis and money management. That will certainly help you to understand and interpret market moves correctly.
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:00pm   #9
Joined Jul 2017
Technical Analysis is much more important. And by using this tactics you can get all details what you need.
Niklasco8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:23am   #10
Joined Jul 2017
Sub-Zero started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mnettow View Post
Yes that is correct!
Finally someone who admits it lol.
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:53am   #11
Joined Feb 2002
Technical analysis is far more important for short-term trading than FA. If you;re trading intra-day, FA is irrelevant apart from watching the economic calendar for upcoming news announcements form central banks etc.

But day-trading is the toughest way to make money, discipline to enter and exit on the slightest technical indication is key, and few people go from novice to winner. Much better to go initially for short-term but multi-day trades, either swing trading or trend-following. There's lots of guidance on the web and this site on methods, but simplest is best.

Going to back to property investment, you can get rich in 10 years by shot-term buying and selling in a fast-rising market. Buy, repair, decorate, stage and sell: flip the property within weeks if you're well prepared and have good contacts. Property flipping is another form of trading using TA: property investing is FA-based and should be on a multi-decade time-table - good luck to anyone who thinks they know where an individual property value will be in 40 years.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:15am   #12
Joined Jul 2017
Sub-Zero started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Technical analysis is far more important for short-term trading than FA. If you;re trading intra-day, FA is irrelevant apart from watching the economic calendar for upcoming news announcements form central banks etc.

But day-trading is the toughest way to make money, discipline to enter and exit on the slightest technical indication is key, and few people go from novice to winner. Much better to go initially for short-term but multi-day trades, either swing trading or trend-following. There's lots of guidance on the web and this site on methods, but simplest is best.

Going to back to property investment, you can get rich in 10 years by shot-term buying and selling in a fast-rising market. Buy, repair, decorate, stage and sell: flip the property within weeks if you're well prepared and have good contacts. Property flipping is another form of trading using TA: property investing is FA-based and should be on a multi-decade time-table - good luck to anyone who thinks they know where an individual property value will be in 40 years.
Hi mate, yeah I going to be investing in property I hope to get rich in 10 years, but will use a buy and hold approach instead of short term flip and sell, too many fees and that to be constantly selling and that. But with stocks I think fundamental analysis is WAY harder than TA the reason I say that is because I do fundamental analysis and finally starting picking up the work that is actually required. You need to know how the business and I thought I knew them because I knew what products they made and what they do. Turns out there is FAR more to know such as, where they operate, where is the revenue coming from, does the company have a sustainable competitive advantage, then you need to learn accounting which is tough and ****ing boring as hell, then you need to know how to make financial models, then you need to predict cash flows (dcf),you need to know what metrics to use for what industry, and probably the hardest of all which is deterine the intrinsic value of the business (this goes with DCF). There is ALOT more stuff and it never ends. I don't see how TA is harder, people say its 90% emotions, if you can control your emotions I think it shouldn't be too hard but I could be wrong.
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:17am   #13
Joined Feb 2002
UK properties will be as probable as anything to rise in value in any 10 years, but not every property rises like every other property, and what drives price in a given postcode is difficult to tell at 10 years distance. But if its an investment property, not your main residence, its as good a bet as anything.

As far as TA and FA of stocks are concerned, you can never know all the relevant FA. And even if you could, and did, how could anyone analyse its importance better than the thousands of professionals paid to do that job?

But when the big players make a move, they move price. And why own something that the big players are dumping? Why dump something that the big players want to hold on to?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:18pm   #14
 
Quantt's Avatar
Joined Jul 2017
Personally for me, I am probably lazier than you and that's why I am using systematic approach based on data. For FA I just cannot normalize the data and build a system to test and backtest. Same with TA, for me it is not easy to program different chart patterns to have a consistent results, so I have chosen simple price action strategies and this works best for me... For real estate investment, I am not sure how with little stake you'll get rich in 10 years, how much you are expecting the property prices to rise?
__________________
"If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die." Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:27pm   #15
Joined Feb 2002
Unlikely anyone gets rich buying a single property and holding only 10 years. Possible I suppose if you bought into the next up and coming district before its up and coming - but how to pin-point that?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ: What is Technical and Fundamental Analysis? T2W Bot New to Trade2Win 36 Sep 27, 2017 2:09pm
Fundamental or technical analysis? leticia.delgado First Steps 82 Dec 25, 2015 2:57pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)