Is the fed speaking this week?

This is a discussion on Is the fed speaking this week? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Is there like a trade calendar somewhere? I know because of this mess the fed is going to talk and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 3, 2012, 4:27am   #1

Joined Mar 2012
Is the fed speaking this week?

Is there like a trade calendar somewhere? I know because of this mess the fed is going to talk and mess up the market. And every time the fed or somebody else (like on 5/23 when I was short JPM and those a/holes in France and Italy started blabbing about some nonsense about saving the Euro and the market reversed briefly) talks I lose money because I'm not aware of when they are speaking. It's only after the fact when I read the headlines that I realize why my trade went bad.

I'm really looking for trading calendar similar to this: (link removed) but informs you of relevant events to the equities world.

Last edited by Trader333; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:41am. Reason: Removed link
jacknapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:48am   #2

Joined Mar 2004
Re: Is the fed speaking this week?

I usually post up the days' diary of events on this thread

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...ml#post1869124
Thanks! The following members like this post: wackypete2
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:52am   #3
Joined Sep 2008

A calendar is only good for known events. You can then either trade them or avoid them. What you can't do is avoid breaking news stories or events, or unscheduled off the cuff remarks by bankers and analysts. That's why you should always trade sensibly with low leverage and stops so when these unplanned activities occur your account doesn't get steamrolled. The Greece fiasco has seen every politician, banker, and analyst weigh in at all different times of the day.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 11:55am   #4
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknapier View Post
Is there like a trade calendar somewhere? I know because of this mess the fed is going to talk and mess up the market. And every time the fed or somebody else (like on 5/23 when I was short JPM and those a/holes in France and Italy started blabbing about some nonsense about saving the Euro and the market reversed briefly) talks I lose money because I'm not aware of when they are speaking. It's only after the fact when I read the headlines that I realize why my trade went bad.
Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant to be helpful... IF you had been on the right side of that JPM trade while someone was talking you wouldn't have posted this thread or wondered why you made some easy money. Think about that for a while.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:34pm   #5
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:

I'm really looking for trading calendar similar to this: (link removed) but informs you of relevant events to the equities world.
Even if you are given a calendar, how will it help you ? Based on the scheduled announcements, can you predict what will happen in the market ? If it's that easy to predict, wouldn't the big boys bust your stops (or move the price against you sufficiently to force you to cover) and take your money since they know what you are going to do ? Let's see your prediction for the following, ideally afterwards with a trading statement showing the profits:

Jun 5, 15:00 US ISM Non-Manufacturing
Jun 6, 12:45 EU ECB Interest rate
Jun 6, 13:00 EU ECB press conference following interest rate announcement

Last edited by BeginnerJoe; Jun 3, 2012 at 2:59pm.
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:13pm   #6

Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Is there like a trade calendar somewhere?
Follow Ben Bernanke on twitter:

thebenbernanke

CLICK - My Trading Journal
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 7:27pm   #7

Joined Mar 2012

jacknapier started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypete2 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, it's meant to be helpful... IF you had been on the right side of that JPM trade while someone was talking you wouldn't have posted this thread or wondered why you made some easy money. Think about that for a while.

Peter
Well, I was in at 33.75 with a stop of 34, so it didn't exactly kill my account. I was just up half a point when it suddenly reversed. I didn't want to move my stop or re-enter because of that stupid 3/5 trading rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_trader View Post
Follow Ben Bernanke on twitter:

thebenbernanke
Thanks, but I don't use twitter. I hate twitter. I added him at stocktwits, but he doesn't seem to be very active there. Although, that might just be someone posing as him ...

Quote:
Even if you are given a calendar, how will it help you ? Based on the scheduled announcements, can you predict what will happen in the market ?
I won't be able to predict, but I can avoid trading during that time to see how the market reacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I usually post up the days' diary of events on this thread

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...ml#post1869124
Thanks, I subscribed to that thread.

Last edited by jacknapier; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:39pm.
jacknapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:14pm   #8
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:

Thanks, but I don't use twitter. I hate twitter. I added him at stocktwits, but he doesn't seem to be very active there. Although, that might just be someone posing as him ...

It's not. If it were he would probably have a few million followers like myself and NewTrader telling him each and every day just what a bell-end he is.
YouAreNotFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: new_trader