Bottom Up or Top Down?

This is a discussion on Bottom Up or Top Down? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Not sure if you ever drove a motobike at a very high speed, you need to get into that state ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:07am   #41
Joined Mar 2012
Re: Bottom Up or Top Down?

Not sure if you ever drove a motobike at a very high speed, you need to get into that state of focus without focus so there is not tension, you, the bike, the speed, only one thing, to tense up or start to worry to fall is very dangerous.

And most importantly if you fall is absolutely essential that you let go and relax into your fall accepting it.

Has this go something to do with trading? In view very much so, in modern trading this state of no mind is essential, of course MM has also a huge impact, just like opening a pizza shop or any other kind of business.

Last edited by Mike Kshemaraja; Apr 8, 2012 at 12:37pm.
Mike Kshemaraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:09am   #42
Joined Sep 2010

Sounds like your decision making process and experience is just hardwired into your brain,
meaning its more of a subconscious process.
HowStuffWorks "How Your Brain Works"
New brain connections form in clusters during learning - UC Santa Cruz
Meditation is just wiping the frontal lobe, same as you'd wipe a computers memory.
Liquid validity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:31am   #43
Joined Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid validity View Post
Sounds like your decision making process and experience is just hardwired into your brain,
meaning its more of a subconscious process.
HowStuffWorks "How Your Brain Works"
New brain connections form in clusters during learning - UC Santa Cruz
Meditation is just wiping the frontal lobe, same as you'd wipe a computers memory.
Yes, and traders are like athletes, if you want or strive to be a top trader, you need to be fit like one, physical and emotionally. Keep in mind that when you sit in front of the computer to trade you are not trying to pull money out of the market but out of very prepared and street smart traders from all side of the world, Italian, English, Brazilian, Japanese and so on.

Who has the better chance to pull most of the money, the one that is the fittest and prepared.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:36am   #44
Joined Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
You might laugh and it does sound a bit 'hippyish' - but don't you ever have days where you just sit down and you 'just know' ?

Then other days where you trade as dumb as a rock.

Have you tried sitting down 10-20 mins before you trade and just relax, tell yourself it's going to be a good session and get any other worries of the day out of your head before you start.

It can certainly help to get you focused. I do understand why people get put off by words like meditation. Perhaps read up on the way people prep for a competitive endeavour right before the comp...

It's not all about skinny vegetarian Indian guys with long beards.
LOL, that is an archaic way to view meditations, nowadays people that appreciate
that development also are into Lamborghini, Patek Philippe or very fine Italian hand made suits.

Last edited by Mike Kshemaraja; Apr 8, 2012 at 12:02pm.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:59am   #45

Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Have you tried sitting down 10-20 mins before you trade and just relax, tell yourself it's going to be a good session and get any other worries of the day out of your head before you start.
Yes - I do this every day I choose to trade wrapped up as a 30-45m prep before the session opens. It's quite ritualistic but it works for me. I see this as nothing more than mental preparation for a performance based discipline, putting me in the right frame of mind to handle situations that I cannot predict in advance.

What do you think professional sportsmen do before a big game/competition?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:30pm   #46
Joined Sep 2010

As sports, bikes and meditation have been mentioned, made me think of this.
If you follow MOTOGP here's a well known and public example of pre-event meditation:

Click the image to open in full size.

No arguing its certainly worked for him...

I spose that relates to a performance edge as discussed here.
In trading you can have a performance egde or a statistical edge,
or a combination of both.
Whatever works for you.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:56pm   #47
Joined Sep 2010

imminent thread derail coming up.

Mike, you are obviously into bikes, be interesting to see if Rossi can get the Ducati working this year eh?
Haydn seems to have it sorted going off Qatar qualy.
I still think the bike has a lot of problems left over from the carbon frame.

/end of thread hijack
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:29pm   #48
Joined Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid validity View Post
imminent thread derail coming up.

Mike, you are obviously into bikes, be interesting to see if Rossi can get the Ducati working this year eh?
Haydn seems to have it sorted going off Qatar qualy.
I still think the bike has a lot of problems left over from the carbon frame.

/end of thread hijack
LOL, I was when I was a kid, I fell so many times, after a while I learnt not to tense, is not wise to change the flow of the strength.

Not following much lately, but for what I gather, Valentino has a reputation now to defend and maybe that
makes him slower ( too much mind).
When he did not have that reputation is was free (heart).

I also like Stoner, he does not care to appear, but to be.

Last edited by Mike Kshemaraja; Apr 8, 2012 at 1:50pm.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:09am   #49
Joined Oct 2011

Even the best of the best sometimes can't save it.

And yet you save the impossible

"Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.
I found it one of the hardest things to learn."
- Jesse Livermore
MoonRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:39am   #50

Joined Jul 2011

Interesting that this convo turned to bikes. I got into motorcycle myself just last summer, and have yet to look back at all despite the bleating cries of "it's dangerous!" from my folks. It's just too good.

I also agree that riding a bike seems to complement the trader in me quite nicely. It's a bit of a risk, and if done right, the benefits are awesome. But it can also go horribly wrong. Still too good to pass up, though!

~Tom Wiswell
VielGeld is offline   Reply With Quote