Top Down Approach!

turtle trader

I'm considering getting back into trading individual stocks (in addition to futures) and am looking for methods to firstly, narrow down my list of stocks, and secondly, increase my chances of success.

One method I want to use in order to achieve this is to use a 'top down' approach, by which I mean I want to pick which sectors are showing the most strength/weakness, and then review each of the stocks in those sectors to identify potential trades. I'm currently using the Dow Jones sector indexes (e.g. DJ US Healthcare, DJ US Technology etc.) for my sector analysis, but can't find a way of easily identifying which stocks make up each sector. Is there a way I can do this without ploughing through every stock individually & noting its' sector?

It doesn't matter to me whether a stock is traded on Nasdaq/NYSE etc, so the list of candidates is rather large! Maybe I should concentrate on one or the other of these markets - is there any reason for doing so that I should be aware of (other than reducing the number of potential stocks)

Any help appreciated

thanks
Simon

Try this: http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/industry/bigcharts-com/

On your left, there will be a list of the ten sectors. When you click one, you'll get a list of the groups and sub-groups. When you click those, you'll get lists of the component stocks, all with charts, of course.

This is also one of the few places, if not the only place, where you can get charts for sectors and groups, making comparisons of relative strength much easier.

Db

Thanks DB, that's great.

dbphoenix said:
Try this: http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/industry/bigcharts-com/

On your left, there will be a list of the ten sectors. When you click one, you'll get a list of the groups and sub-groups. When you click those, you'll get lists of the component stocks, all with charts, of course.

This is also one of the few places, if not the only place, where you can get charts for sectors and groups, making comparisons of relative strength much easier.

Db