Bottom Up or Top Down?

This is a discussion on Bottom Up or Top Down? within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by DionysusToast Hurrah!!!! I sense vindication!...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:52pm   #15

Joined Jul 2011
Re: Bottom Up or Top Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Hurrah!!!!
I sense vindication!

~Tom Wiswell
VielGeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:07pm   #16
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
I've been chatting recently to a prop trader that has an interesting philosophy when it comes to day trading.

Basically, it is his view that unless you can just sit down and trade in and out of a market with a co-equal stop & target, just based on the rhythm of that market - you might as well forget adding in anything else to your day trading strategy.

Now - he's not saying that you should be able to make a ton of money doing this. On a market like the ES for instance, take 6 tick target and stop and trade in and out based on the flow of the market. If you can't make a profit doing that, then your chances of day trading with the addition of other analysis techniques are slim.

I hear other people saying a top down approach is better, to refine those higher level methods of analysis before looking at the lower level ones.

Any thoughts?
I'm a sailor. I don't like either!.

Unless it's a beer glass.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:11pm   #17
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Good link....

I like this bit...
I agree.

Quote:
Try scalping off of the order flow without watching the charts at all. Turn your charts off and try to see support and resistance on the ladder alone.

Many prop firms ask new recruits to initially start to trade without access to any charts; that is to say no indicators, no trend lines, no patterns and, as a result, no temptation to seek the technical analysis holy grail that does not exist. You need to be comfortable executing trades with nothing more than the market depth at your disposal. It is this ability, developed as a result of many hours of intelligent observation and interaction with the market, which actually enables you to employ technical analysis effectively! Technical analysis is a decision support tool for traders. The charts themselves represent a very small percentage of the total, available information upon which elite traders make their decisions.
What do you think about this bit?
Quote:
6. On a real-time chart flip a coin to take a short or long entry when the latest bar is half formed (eg: half an hour into a one hour bar or five minutes into a ten minute bar etc etc). Once you’re in, manage the trade to gain the best result over the next 10 bars.

This exercise gives you with a chart-full of info, but takes away any entry consideration making you focus on the relatively short term action from a given point in the context of managing what you’ve got to best advantage (or least dis-advantage) utilising the info you have in the chart.
BTW, I still don't know why you don't just sell your software outright to ninja,
or negotiate a royalty deal.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 3rd party plugins are pretty rare in this area aren't they?
Could be putting people off with the machine ID transfer problem if you decide to knock it on the head?
Liquid validity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:11pm   #18

Joined Feb 2009

Quote:
I've been chatting recently to a prop trader that has an interesting philosophy when it comes to day trading.

Basically, it is his view that unless you can just sit down and trade in and out of a market with a co-equal stop & target, just based on the rhythm of that market - you might as well forget adding in anything else to your day trading strategy.

Now - he's not saying that you should be able to make a ton of money doing this. On a market like the ES for instance, take 6 tick target and stop and trade in and out based on the flow of the market. If you can't make a profit doing that, then your chances of day trading with the addition of other analysis techniques are slim.

I hear other people saying a top down approach is better, to refine those higher level methods of analysis before looking at the lower level ones.

Any thoughts?
Basically what this says to me is that if you don't have an edge on entry that's sufficient to overcome costs and spread, then you won't make it. I disagree with this. There are two parts to the trade, the entry and then the exit. If you have a good edge on entry, you could make money with fixed stop and target same size, like the prop trader suggests. If you have a good edge on exit then you can make money from a random entry system. If you have both, then you can make a lot of money.

However, I suppose he has a point, in that if you can't find an edge with entry, you're unlikely to find one with exit, since that's harder imo.
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mike Kshemaraja
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:27pm   #19

Joined Dec 2008

Quote:
Are you saying that throwing it all in the pot right from the start is the best approach?
I think so, Lord Toast although I would probably err on the bottom first if I was doing it all over again.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:15am   #20
Joined Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakone View Post
Basically what this says to me is that if you don't have an edge on entry that's sufficient to overcome costs and spread, then you won't make it. I disagree with this. There are two parts to the trade, the entry and then the exit. If you have a good edge on entry, you could make money with fixed stop and target same size, like the prop trader suggests. If you have a good edge on exit then you can make money from a random entry system. If you have both, then you can make a lot of money.

However, I suppose he has a point, in that if you can't find an edge with entry, you're unlikely to find one with exit, since that's harder imo.
Well said.
Mike Kshemaraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 1:01am   #21
Joined Oct 2011

A very successful trader said the exit was more crucial then the entry.
I think he maybe right although I myself get very focused on entry and then grab the profits when available.
I'm slowly coming around because I realise if too much focus is on the entry, it is harder to except that the trade could be going wrong.

"Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon.
I found it one of the hardest things to learn."
- Jesse Livermore
MoonRocket is offline   Reply With Quote