Full time trading versus part time...

This is a discussion on Full time trading versus part time... within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; having spent the last 6 months experiencing first hand just how hard trading is, i think i might be reconsidering ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:45am   #1
Joined May 2010
Full time trading versus part time...

having spent the last 6 months experiencing first hand just how hard trading is, i think i might be reconsidering what i actually want to do with my life

I obviously still want to accumulate wealth and be rich from trading but i'm not sure if i can handle the uncertainty, and scared money doesn't win , right? having an enjoyable job which has a decent wage ...would maybe be healthier and more productive, and over time you can still get rich, with the certainty of an income, you can trade more objectively and with less emotion!
problem solved?

discuss.
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:14am   #2
Joined Apr 2008
Re: Full time trading versus part time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartsy View Post
having spent the last 6 months experiencing first hand just how hard trading is, i think i might be reconsidering what i actually want to do with my life

I obviously still want to accumulate wealth and be rich from trading but i'm not sure if i can handle the uncertainty, and scared money doesn't win , right? having an enjoyable job which has a decent wage ...would maybe be healthier and more productive, and over time you can still get rich, with the certainty of an income, you can trade more objectively and with less emotion!
problem solved?

discuss.
Provided you trade tf's that allow you to hold down a full time job as well then it is the perfect balance whilst building your fortune lol Personally, once I have some cash in the bank and am earning double from trading than I do from my job I'll be leaving work...
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:44am   #3

Joined Jan 2004

Quote:

problem solved?

discuss.
chartsy, ive been trading for many years and suffered every loss and emotion going. The last 2 years ive made good money but have recently packed in the methods i was using as there was too much uncertainty and stress. I now am trading a simple method that is normally finished by midday. It has exact entry rules etc,so I have very little emotion or decision involved because I totally believe I will get good pips every month from the method. So far I am only 11 pips up in 20 days but thats not the point. I dont seem to have any of the stresses I had previously had. I will have to handle large draw downs but even if I average 100 pips a month at £30 pp thats still more than an average uk wage. Hope you see where im coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnAsdQiGzs
Lord Flasheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:04am   #4
Joined Nov 2008

IMO you either fully commit to this business or accept it as a hobby. If *playing* it as a hobby compare it to online gambling (in any of the other forms) with the arguable 'edge' that you are betting on a 2 horse race - long or short. Perhaps swing and or position trade for low stakes, you may take enough out of the market for a cheap yearly package holiday or to alleviate the crippling damage low interest rates and disguised inflation is having on your savings..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:05am   #5

Joined Dec 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post
I now am trading a simple method that is normally finished by midday.

k i s lord
be-positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:08am   #6
Joined Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
IMO you either fully commit to this business or accept it as a hobby.
Exactly, and if its a hobby, you can expect it to cost money just like any other hobby.

Trading part time, I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.
the hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:23am   #7

Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hare View Post
Exactly, and if its a hobby, you can expect it to cost money just like any other hobby.

Trading part time, I've never heard of anything so ridiculous.
So I keep reading, yet one of the most respected members of this forum, who is now a full time trader and a coach/trainer was a full time dentist! Go figure...

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: LiamH
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:24am   #8

Joined May 2003

I always think that the people who've got it made in this life are those who do as a job what they would otherwise choose to do as a hobby. So if trading grabs you that much - as opposed to dreams of wealth - then it's the course worth pursuing.

That said, it's always good to have more than one string to your bow in case the love of your life doesn't deliver the bacon .

jon
barjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: LiamH , wackypete2
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:28am   #9
Joined Apr 2008

IMO it's ridiculous to say that trading part time to build an account is not a possibility. I mean, come on, use some common sense - You're either profitable or you're not. If you are then you can build an account, it's really quite straight forward. And don't start going on about screen time, it's perfectly possible trading EOD too - you would just need a larger acccount to make anything worthwhile.
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: leonarda
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:33am   #10
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:

problem solved?

discuss.
In my opinion I think you are being very sensible. I trade "part-time", although rather than say "part-time" I would say my trading strategy only requires me to make a couple or so trades per week and a quick check of positions at lunchtime and close. When the FTSE is making a big move like the last month I just watch my positions grow, I haven't entered a new trade for a month, but my account has grown over 20%! stress free!
And I think people are foolish to think you can't make a decent return this way, admittedly on a small account I've made 140% this year with this method (18% max drawdown) on a mere 67 medium term trades. I would look to 30-50% on a larger account.
so take the easy option...
although a lot of guys here will disagree with what I said!
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote