Full time trading versus part time...

This is a discussion on Full time trading versus part time... within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; I always think that the people who've got it made in this life are those who do as a job ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:24am   #8

Joined May 2003
Re: Full time trading versus part time...

I always think that the people who've got it made in this life are those who do as a job what they would otherwise choose to do as a hobby. So if trading grabs you that much - as opposed to dreams of wealth - then it's the course worth pursuing.

That said, it's always good to have more than one string to your bow in case the love of your life doesn't deliver the bacon .

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: LiamH , wackypete2
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:28am   #9
Joined Apr 2008

IMO it's ridiculous to say that trading part time to build an account is not a possibility. I mean, come on, use some common sense - You're either profitable or you're not. If you are then you can build an account, it's really quite straight forward. And don't start going on about screen time, it's perfectly possible trading EOD too - you would just need a larger acccount to make anything worthwhile.
LiamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: leonarda
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:33am   #10
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartsy View Post
having spent the last 6 months experiencing first hand just how hard trading is, i think i might be reconsidering what i actually want to do with my life

I obviously still want to accumulate wealth and be rich from trading but i'm not sure if i can handle the uncertainty, and scared money doesn't win , right? having an enjoyable job which has a decent wage ...would maybe be healthier and more productive, and over time you can still get rich, with the certainty of an income, you can trade more objectively and with less emotion!
problem solved?

discuss.
In my opinion I think you are being very sensible. I trade "part-time", although rather than say "part-time" I would say my trading strategy only requires me to make a couple or so trades per week and a quick check of positions at lunchtime and close. When the FTSE is making a big move like the last month I just watch my positions grow, I haven't entered a new trade for a month, but my account has grown over 20%! stress free!
And I think people are foolish to think you can't make a decent return this way, admittedly on a small account I've made 140% this year with this method (18% max drawdown) on a mere 67 medium term trades. I would look to 30-50% on a larger account.
so take the easy option...
although a lot of guys here will disagree with what I said!
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:34am   #11

Joined Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
I always think that the people who've got it made in this life are those who do as a job what they would otherwise choose to do as a hobby. So if trading grabs you that much - as opposed to dreams of wealth - then it's the course worth pursuing.

That said, it's always good to have more than one string to your bow in case the love of your life doesn't deliver the bacon .

jon
For many people it's also matter of circumstances. Some people choose the wrong career and realise 10+ years down the line that what they are doing isn't for them but might be 'trapped' due to financial or family commitments.

By the way, I highly recommend this movie (If you haven't seen it)

It's called 'Floored' and you might find clips on youtube and other video sites. It really is worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1326220/

CLICK - My Trading Journal | SEARCH: soundmoneyproject.org |
new_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:48am   #12

Joined Apr 2010

Yes if you want to succeed at trading you must quit work/school immediately - they are irrelevant anyway - and sit in front of a screen all day everyday until charts scream KISS at you. This is the only way anyone can ever become a profitable trader. Anyone who disagrees with this fact is just a sore loser and should give up anyway.

Looks like Scose be trollin' 'aaaaard tho... as far as some are concerned!
scose-no-doubt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: LiamH
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:02am   #13
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
IMO it's ridiculous to say that trading part time to build an account is not a possibility. I mean, come on, use some common sense - You're either profitable or you're not. If you are then you can build an account, it's really quite straight forward. And don't start going on about screen time, it's perfectly possible trading EOD too - you would just need a larger acccount to make anything worthwhile.
Liam, you must distance your own personal prejudices and pre-conceptions of what you may or not accomplish from part time trading from the hard stats/data. The attrition rate for those entering this profession (as a new start career, full time fully commited) are off the scale, multiply that by a considerable factor by those 'having a punt' as a part time hobby.

No one is personalising or demeaning your individual attempts to have a go at FX trading whilst keeping down a job, but this road is undoubtedly littered with wrecks who thought they could start off EOD part time and move into full time, for most it simply doesn't cut and the millions of zombie trading accounts are no doubt testament to this.

My suggestion (fwiw) has been steadfast for part time trading; if you can keep your job and not be stiffing your employer and earn perhaps an extra 10K (just on the cusp of most personal tax allowance) per annum then why change? Simple position trading out of just about any basket/combo of currencies from folks' Sterling savings would have reaped rewards over the past 24 months, no reason why part time currency investors couldn't take advantage of currency movements moving forward in that manner/method..
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:06am   #14
Joined Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
IMO it's ridiculous to say that trading part time to build an account is not a possibility.
I'm just speaking from personal experience. I dont know a single profitable part time trader. Think about it, if you where profitable part time, why on earth would you choose to work for an employer ?

Dont say lack of funds, there's no shortage of money available for anyone with a track record.
the hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: meanreversion