Full time trading versus part time...

This is a discussion on Full time trading versus part time... within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the Reception category; We are supposed to calculate riskv reward. i would love to trade full time, but would only do so if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:53pm   #136

1 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Re: Full time trading versus part time...

We are supposed to calculate riskv reward. i would love to trade full time, but would only do so if i was confident i could make 2 to 3 times my salary. Trading carries a greater risk. As I only trade part time I would classify it as a hobby, and have to trade on longer time frames. As I am having a multi-year good run (not a living wage though) I believe it is definitely possible to still make money. The extrapolation is that if you can't make money doing it part-time, you probably won't make a living doing it full-time.I think you have to have a long positive run in part-time (hobby) trading before taking the risk re full-time trading, but personal circumstance will dictate what your "kick-off" point would be. Is it easier to make money doing it full-time, or does the extra pressure make it harder?

Last edited by soldcop; Jan 8, 2011 at 6:58pm.
soldcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:06pm   #137

Joined Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Most people over 30 will remember getting a slap or two off their mom/dad when they got out of line as kids.
30? More like 15.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:59pm   #138
Joined May 2010

Chartsy started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderman1 View Post
You are 16 and in your profile you have been trading for less than 1 year. You joined here in May 2010.

How did you get a VETERAN MEMBER status?
been here for ages with probably a dozen alts
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:30am   #139
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartsy View Post
been here for ages with probably a dozen alts
That doesn't change the fact that you are only 16 and have been trading for less than 1 year.
The fact that you have 670 posts in less than 8 months as Chartsy AND ' been here for ages with probably a dozen alts' shows that you need to get more friends in your real life.
traderman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:43pm   #140
Joined May 2010

Chartsy started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderman1 View Post
That doesn't change the fact that you are only 16 and have been trading for less than 1 year.
The fact that you have 670 posts in less than 8 months as Chartsy AND ' been here for ages with probably a dozen alts' shows that you need to get more friends in your real life.
prick

point taken
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:04am   #141
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
prick

point taken
Chartsy, I wasnt trying to be a prick towards you.
It is more a comment on how superficially the members are rated on the forum.
traderman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:03pm   #142
Joined May 2010
Chartsy started this thread Bump!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:05pm   #143
Joined May 2010
Chartsy started this thread Over the years I've actually found it increasingly difficult to commit even to swing or position trading as well as a full time career , significant other , hobbies and all that.

Can you ever really be a part time trader? Even if mechanically you only click the button once a week , I found trading any style to be in the back of the mind just as much as any other career or profession
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:16pm   #144
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
Over the years I've actually found it increasingly difficult to commit even to swing or position trading as well as a full time career , significant other , hobbies and all that.

Can you ever really be a part time trader? Even if mechanically you only click the button once a week , I found trading any style to be in the back of the mind just as much as any other career or profession
Which part do you find difficult ?Waiting PATIENTLY and doing nothing?Good trading is boring.

It is very similar to "you can forgive but you can not forget" .Trading is a mental game , so are you stressed/anxious/curious about winning or losing?

Just trying to find out.

I suggest listening to some free videos on psychology by Dr Andrew Menaker PHD may help.
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:26pm   #145
Joined Apr 2017
Quote:
having spent the last 6 months experiencing first hand just how hard trading is, i think i might be reconsidering what i actually want to do with my life

I obviously still want to accumulate wealth and be rich from trading but i'm not sure if i can handle the uncertainty, and scared money doesn't win , right? having an enjoyable job which has a decent wage ...would maybe be healthier and more productive, and over time you can still get rich, with the certainty of an income, you can trade more objectively and with less emotion!
problem solved?

discuss.
Trading is very easy very simple , if you know how easy it is.We are like these clever monkeys , who make it sophisticated.

Example :People try to predict markets
Prediction method is what that looks like in trading is trying to predict what the market will do rather than take advantage of what the market is willing to give you ,thus creating a difficulty of you as a trader.

Consider the simple trading rules that work: 1) follow the method ; 2) enter your
trade ; 3) exit your trade ; 4)Gain patience for these.
foroom lluzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:27pm   #146
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Over the years I've actually found it increasingly difficult to commit even to swing or position trading as well as a full time career , significant other , hobbies and all that.

Well, its hard to focus on what you have to do because all our training and experience from the conventional career world tells us that the people who know most earn most, while in the jobs world, those who work most earn most.

Trading is not like this. Sometimes it seems that if you ruthlessly only know what you need to know, and if you do least work, you will make most money.

Part-time trading is going to be more rewarding financially for most traders than day-trading. Certainly, for the hours per week expended at trading or studying, it should show an even more brilliant return.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:17pm   #147
Joined Jun 2017
Hello,

Agreed,trading should be done part time
Just a couple of minutes a day.
Tradersonflow is offline Trading Strategy Services   Reply With Quote