Mentor educating the unteachable

This is a discussion on Mentor educating the unteachable within the General Trading Chat forums, part of the T2W Archive category; semi agree with ya oilgaytrader.... I'm a **** teacher and a total failure at teaching ***** ****.... won't be trying ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:00pm   #8

Joined Jan 2007
Re: Mentor educating the unteachable

semi agree with ya oilgaytrader.... I'm a **** teacher and a total failure at teaching ***** ****.... won't be trying that again.

and also agree the othger point you're making... if you can't trade succsefully then you can't teach either. I can trade but I sure as hell cannot teach... but would be very surprised if those who can teach this can't trade....
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:01pm   #9

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildaytrader View Post
exactly,the highly discilplined can┤t be great traders or footballers , they can only hallicunate and coach hallicunations.

What can they coach ?The old farts can coach based on hindsight and make cl˝aims on lagging charts.f o cnut.

Coaching is a mental strategy after the event,a mental strategy to tell noobs if you placed this trade on this historic chart , you would have made money.
That's not coaching as I know it from being both a student and a coach.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:57pm   #10
Joined Nov 2007

It's the application of skills that make or break any performance related field, be it trading, martial arts or playing the Piano. You need an element of understanding in order to teach them, but in the end it is the students ability to apply what you teach that determins the result.

I mean, I had a Maths teacher that I was particularly fond of... but what, I should ignore what she says because she hasn't won the Fields medal? Is a student only capable of matching their teachers level of achievement?

Also, people that say "those that can, do..." **** me off. The ability to teach is a skill in and of itself, and the people that have this ability in spades should be appreciated for their talents.

Teachers are not a homogenous group of failures in their respective field.
MrGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Vorbis
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:33pm   #11
Joined Jun 2007

I would say a lot depends on the level of skill the trader is seeking or is actually aware of. Most coaches cover the same basic stuff and for most this is an inroad to trading and will suffice in the early days. Later some will define and know what level they need to go further and go on searching themselves as there may not be many available at that level. This is where the search for the holy grail begins, there are actually very few coaches who can take a struggling trader to success. I think the results speak for themselves.

Most coaches teach the same material, just packaged differently. The slightly better ones can help you alter your approach.

There will definitely be questions that a trader will ask a coach about the market,analysis that he cannot answer, because he does not know it himself.
Citizen2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:25pm   #12

Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen2007 View Post
Most coaches teach the same material, just packaged differently. The slightly better ones can help you alter your approach.

There will definitely be questions that a trader will ask a coach about the market,analysis that he cannot answer, because he does not know it himself.
Good coaching, like good teaching require a similar skill set. One of the key differences is the student to teacher/coach ratio.

A good coach/teacher will
  1. have the ability to spot weaknesses in the student's knowledge and skills.
  2. develop a customized plane based on the student's capability and personality.
  3. have the ability to erase what he/she knows long enough to understand the key concept the student is missing that causes the the question or causes the student to come to a wrong conclusion.
  4. when asked the same question will answer it differently rather than louder.
  5. have a set of tasks, drills and thought experiments that will strengthen the student's knowledge or performance.
  6. effectively use the didactic process to engage the student in discovering the answers to important concepts.
  7. know when he/she has done good when the student performs better on his/her own.
  8. know when he/she has done well when the student recommends the coach/teacher to other students.

Last edited by HowardCohodas; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:31pm.
HowardCohodas is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:40pm   #13
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGecko View Post
The ability to teach is a skill in and of itself, and the people that have this ability in spades should be appreciated for their talents.

Teachers are not a homogenous group of failures in their respective field.
Very well said.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:48am   #14

Joined Dec 2009

I guess this depends on the trading method.

Someone that isn't profitable could teach you about MACDs, crossovers, exchanges, options etc. etc.

None of this would make you profitable.

In my quest, I paid 3 people for training. 1 of them couldn't trade (although he had an ego the size of a house) and was of no use at all. He was also the most expensive. The other 2 could trade, they understood the nuances of their method. They could answer questions. They could show examples & tell you what was going through their head at the time.

Perhaps the particular area of trading I went into was different from others. I can say hand on heart that if you cannot trade this way, it would be impossible for you to teach it. It requires you to have been there and done it before you could impart knowledge of the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGecko View Post
I mean, I had a Maths teacher that I was particularly fond of... but what, I should ignore what she says because she hasn't won the Fields medal? Is a student only capable of matching their teachers level of achievement?
I understand this view. The thing is - we don't need the BEST trader to teach us. We need a proficient trader. We don't need an award winner, we just need to avoid the failures, the sim traders and the never-traded.

Whilst we are doing analogies. Would we expect someone well versed in driving theory but with no actual practice to teach us how to drive ?

Anyway - I can say hand on heart that for what I do, experience is the first pre-requisite in being able to teach the methods. The second is empathy and the third is the ability to teach.
I cannot see., however why we should expect to find a "system" which will work in the stock market; surely the possibilities of profits for the student justify the time and effort required to learn market interpretation.

Humphrey B Neill - 1931
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote