Is university a good experience

This is a discussion on Is university a good experience within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Go for the quality of nightlife over quality of course (within reason). Dont spend your course in a town with ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2011, 1:55am   #15

Joined Mar 2008
Re: Is university a good experience

Go for the quality of nightlife over quality of course (within reason). Dont spend your course in a town with a bad reputation for nightlife.
Old May 26, 2011, 7:35pm   #16

Joined May 2011

an education is something that no one can ever take away from you. furthering your education is extremely important.
stopdownlimitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 3:03am   #17

Joined Apr 2011

definitely worth going, but make sure you study a subject you enjoy, can't stress that enough (i'm so lucky i enjoy accounting and economics lol)

but bear in mind those who party and drink while at uni in modern times get Cs, it's not like the old days your parents might tell you. (this is from someone who's there now, the people i see talking about that raging party on Saturday are the ones i also see with a sad look on their face when they look at test results)

be prepared to compete day in and day out for the grades that will land you an internship or land you a scholarship for postgrad

i wouldn't call it an experience... the word experience has the wrong connotations, it's hard work for a lot longer than 40 hours a week you'd do at a supermarket. i'd call it a lifestyle

and as i told the 2 students i mentor once a week

bring the pwnage to your exams....LIKE A BOSS

i can't wait until postgrad!

Last edited by enragedcow; May 27, 2011 at 3:12am.
enragedcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 11:50am   #18
Joined May 2010

Chartsy started this thread was thinking about economics, really was but I can't see why i'd ever want to work in a bank.Only reason i'm kind of into economics is because of trading, i can do that myself and I have plans in place to make trading work if i continue as I am, so there's no point in loading up 100% to be a trader. If I fail at trading in other words, i'd be incredibly depressed to work in a bank with markets for the rest of my life.

Going to do geography, downplayed by a lot of people unfortunately, but fact is i don't have a baldy what i want to do after uni as a job, economics is too narrow in that it just leads to markets/banking/business, geography seems to give a broader range of careers, the subject is 10X more interesting than economics, which I find prett boring to be honest....
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 12:56am   #19

Joined Apr 2011

as i said, do something you enjoy otherwise you won't get through lol

why the hell would you downplay geography... some people are such weeners
enragedcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 3:18pm   #20
Joined May 2010

Chartsy started this thread gah now i'm pished off because i trade at the new york forex close (10pm uk time) so i don't want to miss that on nights out! According to my sister they didn't go out till 10.30 though, and plus i make maybe 1 trade a week, about 5 a month in total and if i only go out 3 times a week, and know by like 9pm whether a setup occurs or not, which usually happens , i can just go.

What time did y'all go out to party at? By the way i'm seriously considering geography at Queens's Belfast, cos I live in NI lol, and nightlife is supposed to be decent!
Chartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:30pm   #21
Joined May 2011

I think everyone normally goes out around 10:30-11. And in Europe, you guys stay out later so I think you will have plenty of time to get some trades in and then go out and have a good time. But don't get too caught up in that! You still need to do well in school. Haha.

Best of luck!
daroth is offline   Reply With Quote