Think it's hot today ?

This is a discussion on Think it's hot today ? within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; Index - I dont believe you. Why not prove me wrong and post a photo of uranus?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:29pm   #8
BBB

Joined Dec 2003
Index -

I dont believe you.

Why not prove me wrong and post a photo of uranus?
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:53pm   #9
Joined Aug 2003
IndexTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:07pm   #10

Joined Sep 2002
Nice pic, Glenn. What 'scope have you got ?

Regards,
ivorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:36am   #11

Joined Mar 2003
Glenn started this thread Hi Ivor
It's a Dobsonian F6.4 with 10inch mirror. I built it a few years ago
Mostly made from 3/4" plywood and gas pipe.
Very stable and smooth.
From Richard Berry's book "Build your own telescope". Excellent.

Took it to a local Primary school on the day of the transit and had all the children and teachers looking at Venus in small groups. Good fun- lots' of oooh's and aaah's.
Sadly no sunspots around to see on the day.
Also showed them the rotation of the earth. Lady headteacher said I made the earth move for her - lol.

Glenn
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:07pm   #12

Joined Mar 2001
A 10" instrument - I'm impressed. No wonder the headmistress swooned. Did you grind the mirror yourself or was that a commercially available one?

Roger(M)

http://www.wehanghere.com

Last edited by RogerM; Jun 10, 2004 at 12:32pm.
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:37pm   #13

Joined Mar 2003
Glenn started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM
10" - I'm impressed. Did you grind the mirror yourself or was that a commercially available one?
Hi Roger
Didn't grind the mirror although the book tells you how to do it to a millionth of an inch in your garage ! :-)
I'd like to have a go one day, maybe a 6" to start with.
It's a David Hinds mirror, cost about 250.
Pic attached.

How are your options going ?
Just looking into Ftse diag cal spreads and hope to start soon.
Sold some June 4025 puts a while back and just bought them back. Only 11.5p profit but happy enough.
Cheers
Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
telescope.jpg  
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 1:34pm   #14

Joined Mar 2001
That's a really smart looking piece of kit Glenn. In 1965 when I was 12yrs old I wanted to grind my own 6" mirror but my parents talked me out of it. I tried using a shaving mirror instead and one of my Mum's old make -up mirrors as a flat. I mounted them in a plywood frame and it worked surprisingly well, but with one major drawback - there was a quadruple image because there was a reflection off the front of the glass and the silvered back of the primary mirror, and the same again from the surface and silvered back of the flat. All the overlapping images were more or less in focus tho' , although of no use for serious observations. So I bought a 2.5" refractor secondhand for 6-10shillings (6.50 for those who can't remember!), which was nearly 80 in today's terms

http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/?action=...ce=0&year=1965

I still have it and used it to observe the transit using a projection much like you did - but I would still like to build my own reflector. There is no doubt in my mind that had I dug my heels in and ground my own mirror I would have been successful.

Currently short the June 4625/4175 strangle, with long puts underneath at 4125 for a net +32 per strangle. Not anticipating any drama here, but never spend it until it's nailed down!

Roger(M)

http://www.wehanghere.com

Last edited by RogerM; Jun 10, 2004 at 1:39pm.
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote