Complete Newbie looking to start

This is a discussion on Complete Newbie looking to start within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hello This is my first post, just looking to get some advice. In the near future (within this year) i ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:24am   #1
 
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Question Complete Newbie looking to start

Hello

This is my first post, just looking to get some advice. In the near future (within this year) i will be coming into some money, approximately 20k but maybe more.

A bit about me, i'm 19, currently an IT student and i finish my course this year around Easter time.

I've always found ways of making money and had a business / investment side to me and now i'm finally coming into some money i want to do something with it unlike most people my age who'd simply blow it!

Someone i know left work to start as a forex trader and is doing relatively well for themselves - but they had a lot of help from someone with a huge amount of experience.

My thought is this, I'd like to learn as much as i can about forex trading and practice using demo accounts till around easter time, then hopefully i will have learned enough to invest a small amount of money in and see what happens. I'm not going to shove 20k in an account and hope for the best - before anyone tries to accuse me of that

I'm just looking for some advice, where to start, what options are good, good platforms etc. I did try a demo account on IG markets for two weeks and managed to double my starting money but that was mostly due to sheer luck and guesswork if i'm honest.

I did read a thread about books / articles to read and whilst i will definitely have a look through those, there were just such a vast number to choose from, so if anyone could maybe advise on something a bit more specific then that would be helpful.

Thanks
investme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:47am   #2
Joined Feb 2009
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

Hi,

Well, the best thing you can do is get together a methodology of what markets you would like to trade, and getting some money management skills. To do this, its inherent that you backtest a strategy (using patterns and/or indicators).

Once you have done this and happy with the potential win rate, should you go ona nd forward test (actual trading) with conservative money managment.

Kind Regards

V!P
v1per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:05am   #3
 
shadowninja's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by investme View Post
My thought is this, I'd like to learn as much as i can about forex trading and practice using demo accounts till around easter time, then hopefully i will have learned enough to invest a small amount of money in and see what happens. I'm not going to shove 20k in an account and hope for the best - before anyone tries to accuse me of that
Good man!

Demo with Alpari.co.uk (download Metatrader). Learn to use the platform. Risk only 1% per trade and if you can double the account, you're on to something. Then deposit 200 and trade at 5p/pip when you think you have something. If you can turn that into 400, then you may have something.
__________________
The markets can stay solvent longer than you can stay irrational.
My sports trading challenge: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...challenge.html
shadowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:34am   #4
 
8 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

I, myself, am also new to SB!

I placed my first trade back in October and lost several hundred trading the Gold...bad mistake. Lesson definitely learnt.... the hard way!

I'm currently writing my trading plan, which involves identifying the most successful, consistent and profitable trading techniques. I'm backtesting MACD, stochastic and RSI over a one month trading period on a 15 min time period. I will then use a demo account (TradeFair- fresh with the 10,000 they let you play with) and test my plan until I achieve 40 successful trades. Of course there will be changes along the way, and im expecting this to take several months. After this I will deposit an amount, say 500, into a live account and then trade using 5p/pip. Unfortunately I haven't the luxury of coming into 20000 haha!

Let me know your thoughts peeps!

Peace out ;-)
Seanyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:50am   #5
 
shadowninja's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanyboy123 View Post
I'm currently writing my trading plan, which involves identifying the most successful, consistent and profitable trading techniques. I'm backtesting MACD, stochastic and RSI over a one month trading period on a 15 min time period. I will then use a demo account (TradeFair- fresh with the 10,000 they let you play with) and test my plan until I achieve 40 successful trades. Of course there will be changes along the way, and im expecting this to take several months. After this I will deposit an amount, say 500, into a live account and then trade using 5p/pip. Unfortunately I haven't the luxury of coming into 20000 haha!
Well, definitely, take it slowly. The markets will always be there.
__________________
The markets can stay solvent longer than you can stay irrational.
My sports trading challenge: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...challenge.html
shadowninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:57am   #6
 
blancspa's Avatar
Joined May 2008
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanyboy123 View Post
5p/pip.
?
__________________
...driven on by the greed of the trader, is led over all lands and all seas by the hope of gain...
blancspa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:54pm   #7
 
Tenapenny's Avatar
Joined May 2007
Re: Complete Newbie looking to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanyboy123 View Post
I, myself, am also new to SB!

I placed my first trade back in October and lost several hundred trading the Gold...bad mistake. Lesson definitely learnt.... the hard way!

I'm currently writing my trading plan, which involves identifying the most successful, consistent and profitable trading techniques. I'm backtesting MACD, stochastic and RSI over a one month trading period on a 15 min time period. I will then use a demo account (TradeFair- fresh with the 10,000 they let you play with) and test my plan until I achieve 40 successful trades. Of course there will be changes along the way, and im expecting this to take several months. After this I will deposit an amount, say 500, into a live account and then trade using 5p/pip. Unfortunately I haven't the luxury of coming into 20000 haha!

Let me know your thoughts peeps!

Peace out ;-)
500 @ 5 a pip. Account will be blown in no time. Try to learn a bit more first. Take a look here. http://www.babypips.com/school/
Tenapenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie, where to start? Dave_yd Spread Betting & CFDs 9 Dec 31, 2008 1:03am
Ftse only for complete newbie Jessica First Steps 6 May 12, 2008 5:12pm
Complete Newbie - what are the best possible starting foundations? Bullzak First Steps 23 Apr 28, 2008 8:17pm
Complete Spread Betting newbie - advice please codeman Spread Betting & CFDs 2 Jun 16, 2004 2:03pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)