career change for math teacher

This is a discussion on career change for math teacher within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Ok here goes. I'm 33 this year and thinking of changing careerto become a trader or stock broker. Is it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:17pm   #1
mrt

8 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
career change for math teacher

Ok here goes. I'm 33 this year and thinking of changing careerto become a trader or stock broker. Is it too late?

I would very much welcome your views.

mrt
mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:28pm   #2
Joined Feb 2008
based on what? any experience? have you been looking at models? do you know the diffrence between stock broking and trading?
gooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:36pm   #3

Joined Jan 2006
If you are thinking about it for the money - then don't bother. Only go that direction if it's a passion because being a trader especially is something that not everyone has the right aptitude for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:52pm   #4
mrt

8 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
money/challenge what is the right aptitude?

mrt started this thread If you elaborate on the aptitude part - Ofcourse the money would be better than teaching, but I'm also looking for a new challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggums View Post
If you are thinking about it for the money - then don't bother. Only go that direction if it's a passion because being a trader especially is something that not everyone has the right aptitude for.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:02pm   #5
Joined Jun 2006
Mrt,

What qualifications, skills and experience do you have?

Grant.
grantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:11pm   #6
mrt

8 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
qualifications

mrt started this thread I have nearly 10 years experience teaching maths and double maths in leading academic schools in the UK and preparing students for Oxbridge. I currently lead my department, so leadership skill, communication, and ofcourse numeracy (Bsc Hons Southampton University 96). PGCE Sussex University 1998.
What other skills do I need to develop?

mrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantx View Post
Mrt,

What qualifications, skills and experience do you have?

Grant.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:15pm   #7
Joined Feb 2008
why trading?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:04pm   #8
mrt

8 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
well

mrt started this thread Well, I've thought about trading and stock broking. I am fairly numerate and that finacial rewards looks promising. Are you a trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
why trading?
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:26pm   #9
Joined Feb 2008
i am yes.

i guess you need to know the difference between trading and stock broking to start with. for every successful trader i reckon there are 3 others who end up blowing up.

do you want to trade your own account, trade for a bank, prop shop, market make.....?

i suspect to get through the door you'll have to start at the bottom and work up-one thing is nailed on: you won't pick up the rewards straight away. if you become a successful trader then fair play to you.

you need to decide what it is you want to do-it's too easy to pick up the FT and see that trader A took home a $2m bonus and think 'i could do that'. it's not like that.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:29pm   #10
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Quote:
.......Ofcourse the money would be better than teaching
Not if you lose it wont be and there is a high chance that this would happen.

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote