Trading Competitive Landscape

This is a discussion on Trading Competitive Landscape within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi Folks, a few questions from a newbie on the competitive landscape in trading: Where does the profitability come from ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:18pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Trading Competitive Landscape

Hi Folks, a few questions from a newbie on the competitive landscape in trading:

Where does the profitability come from if you are consistently trading against established well resourced traders in big institutions? If you are able to beat those who are employed in these firms, they likely won't last, so won't the only ones remaining at these firms be consistent winners at your expense?

Going along the first point, what % of the trading pool are novice (dead money to use a poker term) that will soften up the competitive dynamic? If someone told me you are going to lose against the big boys but will net profit from novices, that would make sense to me.

Finally, are there other elements that soften the competition and create profitable opportunities across the board? For instance, a farmer may routinely take a 'losing' trade on corn prices but he is not interested in profiting from a trade...he's interested in minimizing risk. To what extent do these elements provide buoyancy in the trading competitive landscape?
treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:22pm   #2

Joined Oct 2015
"competitive landscape"

smthg a liberal proff might say

lol this is trench warfare! guns blazing, people dying, one trade at a time
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:30pm   #3
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post
Hi Folks, a few questions from a newbie on the competitive landscape in trading:

Where does the profitability come from if you are consistently trading against established well resourced traders in big institutions? If you are able to beat those who are employed in these firms, they likely won't last, so won't the only ones remaining at these firms be consistent winners at your expense?

Going along the first point, what % of the trading pool are novice (dead money to use a poker term) that will soften up the competitive dynamic? If someone told me you are going to lose against the big boys but will net profit from novices, that would make sense to me.

Finally, are there other elements that soften the competition and create profitable opportunities across the board? For instance, a farmer may routinely take a 'losing' trade on corn prices but he is not interested in profiting from a trade...he's interested in minimizing risk. To what extent do these elements provide buoyancy in the trading competitive landscape?

I for one am not trading against the big players. They have brilliant analysts, instantaneous news inputs, super-fast computers and billions of pounds to deploy.

But their size means they move price and this is the trail I follow - they can't avoid leaving it - I just follow their price trends.

If my profits can be traced, they probably come from the private retail traders who are continually going short against my uptrends and long against my downtrends. Bless their little cotton socks. I usually find whatever Oanda clients are doing on their sentiment indicator, I am doing the opposite.
tomorton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:55pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

Actually the less money you are trading with (few millions and less) the easier is to make money in the stock market... When you go up into the tens and hundred of millions, this is where you'll be slow to react and have to worry about the big boys...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote