ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help!

This is a discussion on ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help! within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi All, Forgive my self indulgence... I have recently decided I would like to spend more time writing. Having committed ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:15am   #1
Joined Oct 2016
ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help!

Hi All,

Forgive my self indulgence...

I have recently decided I would like to spend more time writing. Having committed my life to trading markets, there's little else that I can write about that will be of any use to anyone.

If there's one thing I hope I can offer interesting and perhaps even helpful insight in to then it is the world of trading. I am listed as a money manager (trader) on several of the world's financial regulators' registrars. I have worked as both a market maker and a proprietary trader in some of the world's biggest banks and money managers as well as having traded my own capital. I don't mention this to boast, just to differentiate myself from 99% of the spivs offering trading advice online these days.

After being in something for so long it's sometimes difficult to see it through the eyes of someone at the beginning of their journey and so rather than arrogantly write about what I think is important, I'd appreciate some questions from the forum for which I hope my answers can provide some help along your way.

I won't be charging anyone for anything. As above, this is purely an indulgence for me.

Please tell me, how can I help?
tobecont is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: swissy , Lee Shepherd
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:17am   #2

Joined May 2015
How do you know that you are in the 1% and not the 99%?

Cheers
Oscar
Oscar Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:26am   #3
Joined Oct 2016
tobecont started this thread Hi Oscar,

bit new to the old forum thing.

re your question: tough one. I don't want your money so at least there's no conflict of interest there. otherwise you can ask me something that the 99% wouldn't be able to answer? or just ask me anything and see what you make of my response. or just move on with the view that I am a spiv and you don't need to waste your time. I'm easy!

Last edited by timsk; Oct 13, 2016 at 8:10am. Reason: consolidated threads
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:31am   #4
Joined Oct 2016
tobecont started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniepickering View Post
Ayup tobecont. Ah 'ood li' ta kna wha' theur think t' best type o' orda ther's ta use when tradin t' market.
Teur muchly.
You sound like my old man. Not another Stanley fan I hope.

Use limit or stop orders. Why? Because that requires some forethought. If you're trading on market orders you're much more likely to invite emotion in to the process.

I don't think ill write anything further on this for now eh Ronnie. Maybe if someone else asks.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:53am   #5
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobecont View Post
. . .I don't think ill write anything further on this for now eh Ronnie. Maybe if someone else asks.
Hi tobecont,
Welcome to T2W.

In lieu of any other (or better) questions, feel free to expand on how to use limit orders to enter the market. I use stop orders as I want to see some evidence that the market is moving in the 'right' direction before I get in. I appreciate one can do this using limit orders, but the risk one faces is not getting filled. Needless to say, the unfilled limit orders are often the most profitable - or would have been the most profitable - had they been filled. Therefore, for me, using limit orders is too risky, as the price advantage they offer in terms of no slippage etc. is more than offset by the lost opportunity on profitable trades that weren't filled.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mr. Charts , tobecont
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:53am   #6
Joined Oct 2016
tobecont started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniepickering View Post
Ah li' gi'o'a orders 'n limit orders . Orl roeight 'eres eur mooar challengin question. Theur see t' brass that's int' economy, t' brass 'a' thy middlin' everyday apeth uses ta buy bread 'n cheese wi'. Wheear does it orl belong? fert life o' uz ah can't fettle it art 'n its not for lack o' tryin ah tell theur. Nowt rong wi' Stanley by t' way.
Teur muchly.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money
Thanks! The following members like this post: ronniepickering , darktone
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:06am   #7

Joined Sep 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi tobecont,
Welcome to T2W.

In lieu of any other (or better) questions, feel free to expand on how to use limit orders to enter the market. I use stop orders as I want to see some evidence that the market is moving in the 'right' direction before I get in. I appreciate one can do this using limit orders, but the risk one faces is not getting filled. Needless to say, the unfilled limit orders are often the most profitable - or would have been the most profitable - had they been filled. Therefore, for me, using limit orders is too risky, as the price advantage they offer in terms of no slippage etc. is more than offset by the lost opportunity on profitable trades that weren't filled.
Tim.
......especially on price moving on momentum.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:09am   #8

Joined Sep 2001
Even having lived in Newcastle for nine years I find Return from the Pond's posts unintelligible and certainly don't have the time to try to understand anyway.

I tried google translate but that failed too

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk