ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help!

This is a discussion on ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help! within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by piphoe entry's are always wrong, who can precision-laser buying to the tick?? Brilliant insight, more than balances ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:02pm   #17
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
entry's are always wrong, who can precision-laser buying to the tick??

Brilliant insight, more than balances the fatal concentration on entry signals, levels and patterns.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:09pm   #18

Joined Sep 2001
The more experienced and better you are
and the more you choose clearly moving stocks
and the more you use price action rather than "I will buy/short at a certain level"
and the more you minimise TA indicators like moving average cross overs,
the more accurate you get till you reach a state where you can SOMETIMES be spot on to the cent for your entries - and SOMETIMES your exits.
All in my humble opinion and experience.

Contributor to T2W's Trading FAQ Book
http://www.trade2win.com/books/trading-faqs

T2W interview

http://www.trade2win.com/knowledge/a...ichard-joyson/
Mr. Charts is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:13pm   #19
Joined May 2016
What has made you a successful trader (assuming that you are successful)?

What is your trading style (scalper, position, swing)?

What analysis are your strategies based on (fundamentals, technical, chart patterns, price action)?

Are you a manual trader, an algo trader, a quant trader, discretionary, system, maybe a combination of some of these?

Do you trade on instinct or a strict set of rules or a combination?

What are your favourite or most reliable sources of information?

What are your worst or most laughable sources of information?

How long did it take you to find the path to being profitable, did you learn some (hard) lessons along the way and what were those lessons?

How many strategies did you try before settling on something that provided consistent profits?

Do you trade Forex, Stocks, Indices, ETF/ETN's or a combination?

Do you diversify or do you stick to favourite instruments?

Do you trade proprietary strategies or strategies that are in the public domain?

Do you think the markets have changed during your trading career and in what way, how long is your trading career?

Have you adapted your trading style to changing market conditions, have you recognised if/when markets change?

Do you trade all market conditions, in what conditions do you make the most losses?

What is your equity curve like and what are your max drawdowns, what has been your longest losing streak and did you change anything during those periods or just stick with what you were doing?

A bit of a list, but thanks

Last edited by Signalcalc; Oct 13, 2016 at 6:31pm.
Signalcalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:38pm   #20

Joined Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
you are saying take the stop and buy again lower (assuming the bullish position)?

entry's are always wrong, who can precision-laser buying to the tick?? if anyone could they wouln't need a stop which means i will be wrong this amount.
yes take the stop.without stops-you are then out of control-at least with stops you are forced out of wrong trades.
i agree you cant time perfect and you leave a little wiggle room hence the stop.
itspossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:12pm   #21

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Brilliant insight, more than balances the fatal concentration on entry signals, levels and patterns.
There's nothing particularly fatal about entry signals etc. If one has no entry signal, he's just guessing. What is fatal is having no means of determining whether or not one was right in entering where he did. Entering on the bottommost or topmost tick is unnecessary. What is more important is getting the direction right, along with the above.
dbphoenix is online now Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:21pm   #22
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
There's nothing particularly fatal about entry signals etc. If one has no entry signal, he's just guessing. What is fatal is having no means of determining whether or not one was right in entering where he did. Entering on the bottommost or topmost tick is unnecessary. What is more important is getting the direction right, along with the above.

No, entry signals with the direction of price movement aren't fatal and they are necessary. But they only confirm the trader's edge, they aren't themselves the edge.

But overwhelming concentration on entry signals is just too common and leads to them being over-valued by addition of duplicating TA evidence (indicators). This elevates them way beyond trend and price momentum, and that is inevitably fatal to an account.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:55pm   #23

Joined Oct 2015
the problem is these smart algos, they see your stops, they learn

they learn...

i can't acct for how many times i placed a trgt, a very reasonable trgt...only to have the algos stop me one tick before my fill! and revere it on me!

Buy the dream, sell reality.
Create models, but the test IS the real World.
No substitute for experience, unless you're a math major.
personally, i'd take the math guy over experience
but, i don't know any math guys
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:02pm   #24

Joined Oct 2015
the bottom line is ..they can see your stops and your limit orders

i've placed too may trades to know that isn't true...

i place trades see it go 2-3 ticks against me instantly...it wasn't like anyone had to think about it what about that?

it was instantly

it was definitely an algo responding to my trade...and it was fading me automatically..or autoaxiomattilay..as you will

it was trying to stop me, moving up one level at a time, testing me

its bs, imo

Buy the dream, sell reality.
Create models, but the test IS the real World.
No substitute for experience, unless you're a math major.
personally, i'd take the math guy over experience
but, i don't know any math guys

Last edited by piphoe; Oct 13, 2016 at 7:22pm.
piphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: darktone