Unfashionable Advice

This is a discussion on Unfashionable Advice within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; As a disciplined trader - you act. Without thought. Without second thought. Without looking back. - ASC...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:16pm   #1
Joined Oct 2005
Unfashionable Advice

As a disciplined trader - you act. Without thought. Without second thought. Without looking back. - ASC

Last edited by Aleph Sigma Chi; Nov 3, 2005 at 9:00pm. Reason: Awareness
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:50pm   #2

Joined Aug 2005
hello mate, is it possible to develop the characterstics without having exposure of the experience which leads to characteristic awareness/development? you did it the hard way ? according to whom? how did your mentor develop himself ? somebody elses way or his own ?

And do you now regret trading as if you listened to your mentor you wouldn't of bothered trying?? Maybe i'm looking at in skewed but in your case it makes sense to ignore mentors and find out for yourself?

look forward to your next piece

fx.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:12pm   #3
Joined Feb 2005
This thread has the potential to become intensely fascinating.

I did not have a Mentor, but had I had one I seriously doubt I would have taken any other course
than the one that I stumbled along.

You see, everyone one of us must duck and dive through all sorts of minefields before it begins to dawn that there is only the H/L/O/C and perhaps volume. In continuous markets the O is useless and in forex, I have yet to see accurate volume.

Once you have began to see the figures through less than rose tinted glasses, you then run into the biggest variable in the whole game ... namely yourself and this is where things become very interesting.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:42pm   #4
Zek

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Thanks an enjoyable and insightful read. Im only a beginner in currency trading and am quickly becoming aware of the task that lay ahead, (not that it daunts me, on the contrary infact). I look forward to the next installment.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:48pm   #5

Joined Jun 2005
This thread is going to become JfTB part 2. Mark my words.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:02pm   #6
Joined Feb 2005
There is not much to remember about trading basics, support and resistance can be very precise. The question is ....when does a person realise this? When does an individual get with the whole programme?

What does an individual need to know? Is it not all there? What are these people thinking?

My advice coincides with the title of this thread. Surely not?

I'll try. Just for the benefit of people who can't put posts together. For anybody else.....you'll have to bear with me.

If you can't, put me on ignore. That will suit you better.

Last edited by frugi; Oct 13, 2005 at 12:01am. Reason: Merged posts: 212344, 212348, 212350, 212361, 212362
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:50pm   #7

Joined Jul 2004
Any chance you could do one post at a time rudeboy? It makes a difference when reading/printing.

Duly merged :-) frugi
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:14pm   #8

Joined Nov 2001
Smile The herd thunders by....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleph Sigma Chi
Hadn't expected feedback so quickly or have I anything else ready just yet, but will address issues raised as you've all be so kind as to take the trouble to read my post and to post yourselves.

Maybe my rambling style occluded the central point I was hoping to make (direct response to fxmarkets comments). Although I had a mentor, I didn't like what he was telling me. Too hard. Too difficult. And assumed it was that way for them, because they weren't as talented as me. That was really what I thought then. My hubris cost me dearly. It was only after doing it my way that I realised I had had to learn those skills my mentor said I would, in order to learn the other skills needed. I'm not sure if I could have gone down the 'learn the skills first' route as he suggested or if I really had to do it my way (as commanderco confirms was true for him). Either way, I got the same education. The difference being in retrospect the way I did was much harder and more expensive in so many ways than if I'd taken his advice. And probably yes, if I thought then his way was the only way (which I truly believe it has to be) I wouldn't have persevered as I have. But then again, equally, did I really have the choice. No real trader ever has a choice about trading. Only the route he or she selects. You get to choose the route only.

rudeboy hints at the basics of trading. I will have more to say on that in due course. For now I should just say that you need to take the journey sometimes to get back to where you started to see it all afresh. I think there's a quote by TS Eliot that captures the essence of that quite well.
Odd you mentioned T.S.Eliot - I'm in the midst of readng a biography of him; "An imperfect life."
However, I digress:
Many would be traders enter the trading arena to satisfy a gamblers itch for easy riches. Others seek great reward for little effort. Then there are the lazy; the stupid; those genuinely seeking another career and finally ; the naive.

Fraudsters abound in this arena, hawking the traders holy grail. Then there are the mentors who teach approaches to trading, who do not promise that a course will lead to success but are still vilified by those who fail to manage themselves!

Many novices race from one rainbows end to another seeking that holy grail, only to discover, if they survive the hurdles blocking their route to success, that KISS rules plus personal character traits are the more successful approaches to trading.

Sigma makes sense thus far but I would lay odds that many who pass through this site are still seeking that cornfield where the rainbows' end touches the soil.

Nice article Sigma - almost Socratic

Last edited by neil; Oct 13, 2005 at 12:17pm. Reason: spellin
Old Oct 13, 2005, 12:55pm   #9

Joined Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil
that KISS rules plus personal character traits are the more successful approaches to trading.
The latter is a pre requisite and the former is always overlooked by most aspirants due to the reams of literature pontificating every conceivable method to analyse price other than the most proficient.

This advice is not exercised frequently enough, well expressed Neil.

Regards

TMM

Last edited by TheMoneyMachine; Oct 13, 2005 at 9:43pm.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:42pm   #10
Joined Feb 2005
Aleph Sigma Chi
The only comment I can make is " I await your next missive with keen anticipation"

Your first two have been simply outstanding.... the best that I have ever read.