Are Moving Averages Slowing Down Your Trading Performance?

This is a discussion on Are Moving Averages Slowing Down Your Trading Performance? within the Educational Resources forums, part of the Commercial category; We've just published a new T2W article called " Are Moving Averages Slowing Down Your Trading Performance? " by Sam ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:00pm   #1
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Dec 2004
Are Moving Averages Slowing Down Your Trading Performance?

We've just published a new T2W article called "Are Moving Averages Slowing Down Your Trading Performance?" by Sam Seiden.

Quick Summary: Sam Seiden explains why moving averages (MA) often hinder rather than enhance trading performance.

PS. Don't forget to rate the article after you've read it and share your comments on this thread.
T2W Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:07am   #2

1 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
A terrible example

You should know better Sam. moving averages can Absolutely be used in sideways volatile conditions IF you know how to use them properly. But what Really annoys me is you write this nonsense and choose the worst possible example to try and prove it doesn’t work. So it seems your article was clearly written to lure the uneducated into your room. Moving averages can absolutely be of great benefit if used in the right ways. It’s a shame we get so much misinformation and confusion. In fact their is probably some other ”expert” using the same example to show that price patterns or candlestick patterns do not work when in fact they DO work When used correctly and in the right market conditions. I’ve seen many “experts” try and tell us why Rsi doesn’t work in trending conditions but if you know how to use it correctly it absolutely does work. Yes price action is king ( again if used correctly ) and I’m a fan of KISS but I wish you so called “experts” would stop trying to post misinformation about Technical Analysis just to try and impress and lure in new business.
cbsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:46am   #3
Joined Feb 2002
Its inherently true that using a tool in the wrong manner will lead to poor results. But that doesn't mean you should throw out that tool or give up woodworking using tools.

MA's are the only indicators I use. I don't use crosses for entry signals and I don't trade off reversals. But the locations of MA's to each other, their slope directions and the location of price to MA's - plus the recent histories of these relationships - are very helpful techniques in trend-following.

As for MA's being lagging indicators, that's exactly what I want for what I'm doing.

There are infinite wrong ways to use a tool and we don't need to learn all of them.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan , Splitlink